Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

oh you mean REAL cattleguards????? (i was thinking of the painted on ones) none of these exist in the Seattle Metropolitan area (where the blogger lives too)
    THAT would be a scary thing to cross for certain.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    oh you mean REAL cattleguards????? (i was thinking of the painted on ones) none of these exist in the Seattle Metropolitan area (where the blogger lives too)
    THAT would be a scary thing to cross for certain.
    We don't have those here either...but I would walk them for sure! We do have rail crossings where the rails are higher than the road surface, more walking practice. I typically ride country roads by myself (even if it is an organized ride) and I am not going to take the risk.

In town here we have a road that has a triple set of tracks across it, it's close to the trainyard. I have mindfully crossed them many times with no problems. We also have a lot of cattleguards and I have had no issues with those - I go fast and straight at them. It does not rain too much here, so the tracks and cg are usually dry.

A few years ago when Ride the Rockies rode from Grand Junction to Delta, over the Grand Mesa (Pedal Wench will remember that day!) there was a nasty set of tracks to cross over in Delta. The rails were set deeply into grooves and the edges of the grooves were a sharp steel edge. I went through carefully, noticing that 3 people were changing flats right then. I kept on. Later I noticed that my rear tire was damaged by those sharp edges. The day before, RTR Day 1, over the Colorado National Monument, many people got caught in rain. A friend of mine did go down on wet railroad tracks riding back into town.

I rode Bicycle Tour of Colorado the next week. Some of the routes went over historic narrow gauge railroad tracks, some rails were at a very acute angle to the roadway. They had people there telling riders to slow down, but there were still falls and a few people hooking wheels in the trackway. I got off my bike and walked across a few of those!
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon