Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Anyone running in the Altra Intuition?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just purchased a pair this past weekend. Will try them tomorrow for the very first time (on the treadmill at the gym). Can anyone give me some advice on what to expect out of these shoes? They are zero-drop, with a bit of cushioning and are "foot-shaped", so very unlike traditional running shoes. They look a bit weird...almost like earth shoes (anyone remember those?)...but they felt SO comfortable in the store. My toes were very happy being able to fully "splay" out, for a change. I'm coming from wearing the Nike Free Run 2 for the last year or so. I liked the Nike just fine, but was starting to feel some ball-of-foot tenderness lately, which is why I felt I needed some additional cushioning in the forefoot. I wouldn't classify myself as a "runner"...more like an "occasional runner". I used to be able to run 3-5 miles straight through without much of a problem...but lately I've had to scale that back quite a bit due to my lower back condition (spondylolisthesis) and just plain getting older. I now have to include some walking breaks almost every mile or so...which has me feeling a little discouraged. I'm hoping that these Altra shoes might make my feet a little happier and keep me running for longer stretches.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's experience with these shoes. Thanks!

Linda
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

I ALMOST bought those. I saw them and a few others in Runner's World and at the race expo this weekend I looked a few minimalist options. Sadly they did not have the Altra in my size and the sales rep did not seem knowledgeable nor did a good job of selling. I ended up with the Merrell Base Access. Similar to the Altra and the rep was quite knowable and the Base Access is fairly similar to the Altra. HE also said the AL
    ltra was a good shoe. With the Merrell they have a training plan (40 day) to work up to 30 minutes of running. Does the Altra website have recommendations for building up?

I have not really had injuries, but I do want to make my running form light and more efficient so I hope these work.

Side Note: The 2 other shoes I looked at had women sales reps. Neither had my size (I wear a 6) and they did not speak like they were knowledgeable about the shoe, the also did not work to "sale" it to me. Talk about having it in the store after the expo, etc. The Merrell rep was male. He was wearing the shoe (neither women were wearing a minimalist or zero drop shoe). He was knowledgeable. So in my case having the shoe available and being able to speak to the shoe is what sold me. I really did go looking for the Altra. Let me know how it goes!

K
    katluvr

They're just too narrow for me. I wanted to love them so bad.

I did love the zero drop. As a longtime midfoot striker, even though the only running shoes I've been able to find that fit have an extremely elevated heel, I didn't feel like I needed any adjustment at all to run in the Altras (although I think the farthest I ran in them was six or seven miles). It was just so wonderful not having to inadvertently smack my heels on each step.

But if you're typically a heel striker, you'll probably need to change your form to be able to run in a zero-drop shoe, and for that, a transition period would be wise.

Since I run on a lot of gravel roads - and am still working on the dropped second metatarsal heads - the generous cushion of the Altras is indispensable to me. I'd love to be able to run in my Stems (they had to change their name to Leming, but anyway) - but minimal just ain't happening for me.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Well...I ran for 16 minutes (5.7mph pace, so 1.5 miles) this morning in the Altra's and my feet were not complaining like they usually do. No toe pain or numbness...and I don't feel any soreness in my feet/calves, so I must have already been striking mid-foot in my Nike Free Runs for a while because I really didn't alter my form. Of course, I'll need a few more runs to determine for sure...but hopefully, I have found the ideal running shoe for me.

Linda

They were too narrow for me, too and because I was so slow on returning them, I still have them (in two sizes!). I'm actually thinking of wearing the left one when I move to a walking boot on my right foot so that I have a little more 'height'. All my other shoes have zero cushioning, so my hips will be unbalanced. We'll see.

But if anyone is interested in a brand new, never worn pair in a size 8, let me know! I'll offer up a deal!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

If only I didn't have clown feet (I wear a size 11 in these!!! )...I'd seriously consider another pair.

Linda

If you want my slightly used size 11s (less than 50 miles) make me an offer...

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    If you want my slightly used size 11s (less than 50 miles) make me an offer...
    Which color are they?

Silver with blue overlays.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Silver with blue overlays.
    Oh darn it...I really prefer the silver/purple colorway over the blue. But I'll think about it. I need a bit more time in them to really figure out if they will work for me.