Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Lamb or Lion? March running...

The first was a beautiful day, but I'll rate March as coming in like a pride of hungry, angry lions out for blood with the tornados of Feb 29 and Mar 2.

But this morning was beautiful for running, cool and sunny and a bit windy. Finally, I managed to get a long run outside. Meant to go 12 miles, but only went 10. As usual, I struggled to keep my speed down early, and payed for it later. But it was weird to be enjoying such a pretty morning, when there's so much destruction and suffering from yesterday's storms so close by...

4 miles on March 2. Hard, hot. But glad to get 4 in -- first time in a few weeks.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Ended February by running three days in a row (Sun - Tues), which is my longest stretch in years. Held up fine, surprisingly, even my easily-irritated calf triggerpoints! On the 27th and 28th, I ran 5.4 miles at work. The run on the 28th was tough because it was later and I didn't get a chance to have breakfast because I had to go to a meeting first. On 1 March, I had an enjoyable 5.4 miler in nice spring morning temps (high 50s). Got to wear shorts, which was a treat! Today's long run was my longest yet - 6.25 miles. It was in the low 40s but the windchills were in the 30s. Felt good, especially the first four miles, and I got to see two really sweet dogs, one of whom ran with me for a little bit until his daddy called him back (he was off-leash, which is a mortal sin in the county in which I reside---no complaints from me because the dog was very well behaved).

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

I got in my first run in a couple of weeks on March 1st and it was pretty good. Did 3.5 miles after work before it started to get dark. AND, the rain held off until I was walking towards the car, so I was pleased.

Yesterday, I got bowled over by our dogs while I was holding a big bin of hay and standing in a very muddy spot. I fell, full weight of myself and the hay on my right foot while it was twisted underneath me due to the mud. Felt a snap, screamed in pain and then laid there in the mud wondering how I was going to wait 4 hours for my husband to get home. Luckily, after a few minutes, I found myself able to walk on it a little, so I finished my chores. It was clear that I could put weight on my heel, but not on the forefoot at all.

I managed to get a few other errands run including driving to pick up my husband. By mid afternoon, the swelling and pain was too much to bear, so we went to the emergency room. X-rays revealed that I broke my 4th metatarsal. No more running for me for awhile!

I'm going to make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon and sports guy tomorrow morning and hopefully get a more detailed prognosis. Until then, I'm trying really hard not to imagine worst-case scenarios. I had a VERY busy spring planned in terms of races (1 sprint tri, 2 half marathons and 2 oly tri's between May and June!). I'm already not going to be doing the Shamrock run here in Portland on March 18th...but I'm hoping I can make some of those other races come May.

I HATE lying around when there is so much to do, too. Oh, and I can't drive either. Not sure how we are going to make this work! AAARGHHHHH!!! (frustration is high and it's only been 24 hours!)
    Last edited by GLC1968; 03-04-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Sorry, GLC. Try to be patient.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Oh GLC - I'm so sorry That really, really sucks!!!! Keep us updated!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Oh, man, GLC, that stinks. Heal up quick.

All week I've been ... not fighting, mostly giving in to ... deep fatigue, not sure why. Maybe the pollen - my new shots are taking care of a lot of the symptoms but obviously not all of them yet (they say it'll be next season before I'm completely built up), and maybe fatigue is one of the last to resolve. Anyway - three minute repeats x 5 on Tuesday, nine miles with a few bridge repeats yesterday, and that's all the running I've managed this week. A little yoga, a little cycling - hopefully I'll be able to get a good run in tomorrow.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 03-04-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

sometimes we just have to roll with the punches, since Mother Nature can't be controlled!
    OldWhatsHerName

Specializing in kicking high with my fitness shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by oldwhatshername View Post
    sometimes we just have to roll with the punches, since Mother Nature can't be controlled!
    She can't?!

Damn!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Started the second week of the Couch to 5K program. I really did not want to run on big hills, so I drove to the North Bridge parking area and ran from there into town and back. Seems silly, but it was a pretty run and much more motivating, with stuff to look at, including lots of cyclists in groups.
    My hamstring is still hurting, though not as badly. I rested totally yesterday, been stretching, etc. Maybe I need a massage. I am pissed, because this did not start from running. One of the instructors in my training class is doing hundreds of explosive jumps up on the step (with 2 risers) and other jumping stuff, which is what caused it. I am going to have to modify this week.
    Anyway, DH has decided to join me in this quest, which is fine.
    My run splits (which are 90 seconds this week) were all between 8:36 and 9:45, except for the last one, which was 10:06. It was harder for me to run this fast for 90 seconds, but having DH there helps.
    On another note, my hearing is getting worse. I can't hear the beeps on my Garmin, unless I have my hands at waist level. DH can hear it from a-ways off... when I am alone, I have to constantly look at the watch.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Well, no PR in today's 3k. Fourth in my age group, at 14:45. I'm remarkably consistent at the 3k: 3 times out, with times of 14:41, 14:45, and 14:49. But the odd thing is that my 5k PR is at a slightly faster pace... About half-way, I was dealing with a nasty stitch in my side, and slowed down and breathed in a pilates way, and it calmed down. So I was able to speed up again, and even had a kick coming to the finish line.

And best of all, I finished ahead of one woman who always (until now) finishes ahead of me.

skhill, nice 3K!

I did 4 miles today. Still trying to get back into running. That nasty cold took a lot out of me. It's warm, legs heavy and I'm slow, but got the run done! Actually it was beautiful this AM. Then changed to my barefoot shoes and ran 10 minutes (part of the slow plan). So actually I ran more than 4 miles. Then went for a long walk (also in barefoot shoes).

Lovely day today!

K
    katluvr