Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Completed my first week of c25k today, after I came home from circuit training at 6 AM. Ugh on running after that, but I did it. DH came with me and he pushed me a little, even though he is not a runner! My splits on the runs that we're flat or downhill were between 8:30 and 9:46 and my runs uphill were at around 10.00. That's fast for me.
    I have a hurting right hamstring, not from running, but from the class I took Tuesday and a fast hill ride yesterday. Rest tomorrow.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Ok, so I didn't run today. I did get on bike on trainer this AM before work. I have a dinner for friend retiring after work so no run this PM. But.....I did register for Pikes Peak Ascent (now my 2nd year)! Whoo-hoo (or is it Woo-hoo?). Let the training begin! No more excuses!
    katluvr

After our non-winter, the pollen is in the air and my spring allergies have arrived a couple weeks early. BOO! It'll only last a couple weeks, but it makes me feel sluggish all the time. Still got out for my run this morning, 6.5 miles at a slower pace than I've mostly been running lately. But it was nice; the universities are on spring break and the public schools have the day off, so traffic was much lighter than usual. Amazing what a difference that makes...

And tomorrow's my first race of 2012-- a 3k. I'm still hopeful of a new PR, maybe the good weather will balance out the allergies.

This morning was tough! Sun was out, and wind was practically non-existent, so I planned just a short run (5K). On my way out, at about the 1.6-mile mark, some clouds hung out in front of the sun for awhile, making it feel about 10 degrees cooler, so I went farther than I expected, to the usual turnaround for my 5-mile route. However, on the way back, the sun came out brightly again, and I wilted. Had to walk about 1/4 mile of the route until I got to a shadier bit, so I ended up with 4.75 miles.

A bit nervous about how much harder this is going to get as the weeks go by and it heats up even more. I am hoping that the water belt my friend is bringing from the US in early April will help.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

sometimes we just have to roll with the punches, since Mother Nature can't be controlled!
    OldWhatsHerName

Specializing in kicking high with my fitness shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by oldwhatshername View Post
    sometimes we just have to roll with the punches, since Mother Nature can't be controlled!
    She can't?!

Damn!
    Emily

Started the second week of the Couch to 5K program. I really did not want to run on big hills, so I drove to the North Bridge parking area and ran from there into town and back. Seems silly, but it was a pretty run and much more motivating, with stuff to look at, including lots of cyclists in groups.
    My hamstring is still hurting, though not as badly. I rested totally yesterday, been stretching, etc. Maybe I need a massage. I am pissed, because this did not start from running. One of the instructors in my training class is doing hundreds of explosive jumps up on the step (with 2 risers) and other jumping stuff, which is what caused it. I am going to have to modify this week.
    Anyway, DH has decided to join me in this quest, which is fine.
    My run splits (which are 90 seconds this week) were all between 8:36 and 9:45, except for the last one, which was 10:06. It was harder for me to run this fast for 90 seconds, but having DH there helps.
    On another note, my hearing is getting worse. I can't hear the beeps on my Garmin, unless I have my hands at waist level. DH can hear it from a-ways off... when I am alone, I have to constantly look at the watch.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Well, no PR in today's 3k. Fourth in my age group, at 14:45. I'm remarkably consistent at the 3k: 3 times out, with times of 14:41, 14:45, and 14:49. But the odd thing is that my 5k PR is at a slightly faster pace... About half-way, I was dealing with a nasty stitch in my side, and slowed down and breathed in a pilates way, and it calmed down. So I was able to speed up again, and even had a kick coming to the finish line.

And best of all, I finished ahead of one woman who always (until now) finishes ahead of me.

skhill, nice 3K!

I did 4 miles today. Still trying to get back into running. That nasty cold took a lot out of me. It's warm, legs heavy and I'm slow, but got the run done! Actually it was beautiful this AM. Then changed to my barefoot shoes and ran 10 minutes (part of the slow plan). So actually I ran more than 4 miles. Then went for a long walk (also in barefoot shoes).

Lovely day today!

K
    katluvr

Been a so-so weekend with a houseguest, the races in town, stressing about moving. Mile repeats x 4 on Thursday - worked harder for them than I did the last time, which is a little worrisome, but got it done - an easy 5 on Friday - and 7.7 at a moderate pace this morning.

But I had a sort of breakthrough of a different kind. At the Chi Running workshop last month, they gave us hats, and I actually wore mine to the racetrack Thursday and yesterday. I think it was the first time I've publicly copped to being a "runner." I was pretty conscious of having chosen a not-necessarily-athletic (but not necessarily not athletic, either, since a lot of race fans are amateur racers themselves) venue to wear it. A few months ago I called myself "Velveteen Runner" under my avatar ... I might've had a stealth visit from the Real Runner Fairy.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Did the Sunday morning MUT run with my running club. Last weekend, I ended up alone, and walked some as I was bored and had no one to chase or inspire me. Today, anticipating being solo for much of it, brought my Sony Walkman to keep me company.
    Ended up having a really good run (and the Walkman is super-easy to turn on/off, so I could still engage my other club members in conversation when I saw them), pacing was good, ran the whole thing - no walking. Set a new distance record of 8.5 miles. That was my last long run before the Cherry Blossom 10-miler, and it's probably a good thing, as the distance is making my right knee talk - I'm pretty sure it's the ITB at its insertion point. I recognize the pain. Will be working on that with ice and massage for the next week. Without help on my form and technique (which will hopefully be coming soon as I sign up for a training program with the club), I may be reaching the current limit of my running abilities. Will need help to get over that next hurdle.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

St. Patty's Day 5k yesterday, in the rain! Plus 2.5 miles beforehand w/ my TNT group. Woohoo!
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

7, be careful out there on the MUT-- last week a drunk driver somehow ended up driving his mercedes down my local trail in broad daylight and hit and seriously injured a walker. And he was a former cop... I feel safer running on the streets (well, sidewalks).

Today was one of those rare really great runs. I was feeling so good that when I had done my 6 miles I went on for one more mile. In the end, went just over 7 miles, and the last mile was in 8:30. The week's off to a fine start!

I had a crappy run this morning. I decided to go slower, but that wasn't what was bad. Hamstring which was better on Saturday hurt in a slightly different spot. Legs felt dead and I felt like I was tired after 8 hours of sleep. Some of this might be allergies, but it's discouraging.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

My DH has an injury (piriformis, most likely), so I took his stopwatch on my solo run this morning. Did my usual four mile out and back. I knew I'd be slow but was happy to end up with a negative split, at least -- 22:01 on the way out, 20:45 on the way back (average pace of 10:42 min/mile). I think I sped up towards the end to get out of the sun and heat asap!
    Last edited by emily_in_nc; 03-19-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    Emily