Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

No. In fact, my coach wasn't even there.

She's a big fan off Hadd & right now all my training is HR based. The idea will be to see how these amount of work I can do at each HR will change over the course of the season.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

On to week 3 of the C25K plan.
    This week it's 5 minutes warm up, then 2 sets of 90 sec run/90 sec walk, 3 min. run/3 minute walk, 5 minute cool down
    We parked our car in Concord center and ran around the neighborhoods and shops, which was fun. Ran by the LBS, the train, several restaurants, and a playground.
    Knowing that going from 90 seconds of running to 3 minutes would be hard for me, I decided not to go all out on the running intervals. My splits were around 9:30 for the 90 second runs and 10:15/10:30 for the 2 3 minute runs. I had to work to regulate my breathing on the second 3 minute run.
    I have to run again tomorrow, as I had a rest day on Saturday. I think I will get up early and drive to flat ground again, so I can get a more realistic experience, without the huge climbs in my neighborhood. My end goal is to be able to finish a 5K with any sub 10:00 mile time I can get, even if it is 9:59.
    Then I had half of a nice veggie burrito for lunch and bought 2 pairs of shoes for 50% off at Footstock. I guess it ended up being an expensive run.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Angry

So, so distressed.

Thought I was doing things right.
    Easy pace training.
    Not too many miles added each week.
    Gait analysis to work on form.
    Chi Running to teach some tips.
    I guess I'm not implementing all that I've learned as well as I should??

Last week, I did an 8.5 mile training run. My right knee (ITB) started talking at the end of it. Spent a fair bit of time the past week with ice, ibuprofen, and aspircreme, and self massage. I knew it was still tender.

Today, I did the "Piece of Cake 10k" with my running club (it's their birthday, hence the cake theme). Cardiovascularly, I felt great. Didn't push the pace, felt I had a comfortable rhythm and stride going. I stayed right in the middle of the road, to avoid any issues with the crown and uneven striding. But about 3.4 miles into it, my knee started bothering me again. By mile 4.5 it was majorly hurting. By mile 5.5, it was walk/jog/DG-just get me to the finish line! So so distressed.

I have a 5k scheduled for Friday, and my big 10-mile run is next Sunday. I'm completely off doing ANYthing this week. Friday is questionable. I'm going to call my chiro for some PT this week.

Drat. Drat. Drat. Drat. Drat.....
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Yikes, 7, so sorry to hear this! I rode a century with ITB pain back in 2004, and that ended up NOT being a good idea at all. Even though it was a flat century, I had to see a sports doc and PT and couldn't ride for a long time after that. Hope you didn't do more damage by continuing to run. I know it's hard to DNF, but when you're in that kind of pain, there's no dishonor in it. Hope you'll heal up soon, but you may have to seriously curtail your running for awhile.

No running for me next week as we're off on a little trip tomorrow morning through Friday. I'm glad, as I've had a slightly twingy knee the past couple runs and think it's best to give it a rest, though we will be walking, hiking, and possibly rent mountain bikes one day if any of them fit me (hoping to find a 24"-wheeled kids one if the adult ones are all too large!)
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Oh bummer 7. Hope you heal up quick.

The one thing I didn't see on your list was hip exercises? I know Chi Running holds that that's all unnecessary, but my inexpert opinion is that most people are going be able to get healthier quicker by targeting muscle imbalances directly.

Touch wood, I don't know much about ITB issues, but I know with my Achilles, doing my PT exercises brings pretty quick relief. I'm not sure why - maybe just activating the muscles properly in a structured exercise helps bring muscle memory to use them right when I run? maybe it helps bring everything into alignment so it heals while I rest? I don't know, I just know that it does.

Hang in there, and as Emily said, no shame in DNF/DNS if you're injured. I've read that elite athletes are the most likely to DNF, and it makes perfect sense - it takes discipline to take the long view. Take good care.

Me, I woke up just sore all over, partly residuals from my fall the other day, partly I don't know why, but knowing I had to run long today. I just took it really easy and got my 21.5 done, not too slow of a pace but definitely none too fast. One highlight was seeing the skydivers and aerobatics team at the nearby air show. We'd been to the show yesterday and saw them up close - I was lucky to get an unobstructed view from probably 10 miles away. Another highlight - helping a turtle cross the road. It hissed at me and didn't act particularly grateful, but I'm sure it's happier than it would've been if a truck had squashed it.

My neck feels a whole lot better after the chiropractor on Friday. She said there was a lot of swelling - the adjustment helped right away but it still felt awfully stiff - it was popping some for the first few miles this morning and then it started to feel normal, finally. I'll probably still keep my appointment tomorrow, just in case.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 03-25-2012 at 07:29 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Thanks.

Oh, I finished. Sort of a mix of walk/trot/shuffle. I think i was 22/25 in my AG! The run was all contained within a park and I dont think the cars I saw moving were volunteers patrolling the course. They might have been, but I figured the only way to get back was via my 2 feet.

Oak, one thing my gait analysis focused on a lot was hip work and muscle imbalances. I did lots of hip work particularly as I had initially a pretty noticeable hip drop on my right side. I guess I'd been slacking off, not doing them regularly enough for the volume of running I'm now doing? Active warmups and stretching (even on my rest days) had become pretty routine for me, tho, before and after working out.

I feel like I've been betrayed.

Oak - I hope YOU get better soon. Too many injuries and aches and pains around here!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Feel better, 7.
    I had another bad morning, mostly my own fault. I set my Garmin and drove to flat ground to run. All I had to do was press start for my C25k week 3 run. Except something looked funky on the screen, it was dark, and I didn't have my reading glasses. I reset the thing to start over and off I went. The warm up was over, started the first interval and noticed it was 1:00, not 1:30.
    Long story short, I had somehow punched in some random interval program, so I ended up doing 5-6 run walks of one minute. Times were ok, around 10:30 for the runs, except one.
    Now in addition to being deaf, I am also blind.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

A pretty routine 5.5 miles this morning, in a foggy spring morning. One notable occurance: while waiting for a stoplight to turn at a busy downtown intersection, a pair of middle-school aged boys pulled up beside me on their bikes. The younger one was wearing his helmet, the older one had his hanging from his handlebars. But when I gave him a gentle scolding, he put it on, and kept it on for at least as long as he was still in my sight . It's always good to see kids biking to school, but sending out a couple that age at dawn on a very busy street with no lights on the bikes, I'm not so sure that's a good idea...

And the pollen count's so high I'm thinking of heading to the treadmill tomorrow... *Cough sneeze cough*

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    7, boy do I know how you feel. You work hard to take care of your body and *poof* it fails you. The disappointment can be overwhelming. Who knows, maybe this is something that's been brewing for a while or maybe you had something weird go on--something tight on one side, planet alignment screwy, early spring...you get the idea. Don't beat yourself up about it. The good thing is that this is fix-able. Hang in there. It sucks being injured.

---------

I did a 50k (actually about 51k) over the weekend. Running 33 miles on an island with no shade and on a day with record setting temperatures and no breeze is humbling, to say the least. I did everything right with fueling and hydration but still had a rough go the last 12 miles or so. My body was just not ready for the temperature (and, OK, I was a bit undertained but we won't go into that). I finished with a respectable time, all things considered (5:49, 4000' of climbing, not hard but not easy, either). I wore my calf compression sleeves on a whim and boy, am I glad I did (my calves were the only part of my legs that didn't cramp). On a sour note, I got really bloated from the endurolytes, enough so that it slowed me down significantly. My feet (especially my right foot) got swollen for some unknown reason in the middle of the race. I had leg cramps in places that I didn't know I had muscles. I wasn't the only one having problems; quite a few people dropped because of heat exhaustion and related ailments (cramps, mostly). BUT! I still finished, the trail was beautiful (I train out on this island a lot but I never tire of it), I enjoyed the scenery as I walked up the hills later in the race , the volunteers were awesome, the bison didn't charge, the racers were fun, and the beer I had after I finished was the best beer I've had in ages. I kept telling myself that I needed to treat it as a training run for my June 50 miler. What I learned from the day is that I need to find another 50k between now and then and my vacations and work and whatnot. And I need to go somewhere warmer and do some training (like, maybe Zion? OK, twist my arm ).

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    ....the bison didn't charge....
    I nominate this for Quote of The Day.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

Not really a brick

I'd been putting off bridge repeats because the bridge is three miles from my house, and I really wasn't looking forward to a three-mile jog back after I was done. Finally figured what the heck, I rode my bike halfway, did a little extra loop to get a good two-mile warm-up, and had at it. It was weird to put on my running gear and get on the bike!

I saw a splash on my first or second repeat, looked down, and there was a dolphin playing around, swimming upside down. Then I saw a couple of manatees back for the season. The wildlife really let me enjoy a workout I hadn't been looking forward to. And I didn't have to worry about them charging me.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Otcenas View Post
    I nominate this for Quote of The Day.
    Susan, no joke. This event also had a 100-miler and some people got charged in the middle of the night. Bison can run really, really fast

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    Susan, no joke. This event also had a 100-miler and some people got charged in the middle of the night. Bison can run really, really fast
    Oh, I believe you! It was just one of those phrases that makes the reader do a double-take. "Did I read that right??".

About 15-16 years ago, I did a solo bike tour that included riding through Yellowstone National Park. People in cars were remarkable laid back about the bison, but those of us on bikes were WAY more cautious!
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

I took the Active.com site off of my computer and stopped logging my runs.
    I feel too much pressure.
    Going to finish the C25K on my own time frame, so it doesn't interfere with cycling. I did run today, as it's been raining on and off, and I made a good call. I would have been in the middle of a 40 mile group ride during the worst of it, and I'm glad I looked at forecast and thought "47 degrees plus rain does not equal fun on a bike."
    I finished week 3 of the program, with a run-walk on rolling hills. The last 3 minute run interval almost killed me, but it's done.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Got in a nice 3.5 mile run in after work. As usual my hamstrings tighten right up. Grrrr oh well. I have been running about 3x/week with my longer runs on weekends. I am heading to Fla soon to visit some family. I will have to see how I do in the humidity. Today here in CO the humidity is 16% and this past weekend I heard it was 6%.