Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

This morning, my legs felt so absolutely dead when I started out. The first 3 miles were a slog-- didn't help that I kept hitting the traffic lights just as they turned red. But on the long, gentle, uninterrupted downhill things started feeling much better. Stopped at the cathedral (Episc) at mile 4.5 for morning prayer (my brother is organizing it this Lent, and moaning about the low turnout. A largely empty chapel is good, though, as it meant no one was sitting close by a stinky, sweaty runner). Then when I started running again after a 20 min. break, it was a slog yet again. Ended up going 6 miles, and I hope tomorrow's long run is more fun...

I thought about putting this in the "beginning running isn't fun" thread, but to stay positive, here goes.
    I went to the LRS this morning to buy new shoes. It's a very nice, very local store, not a chain. Found out that in the past year, they have developed shoes with a wide toe box, but supportive heels. So, my bunion issue and any problems with the stress fracture/shins can be avoided with the same shoe. The owner told me he didn't even sell the shoe I had been wearing, anymore (he sold it to me, though, about 1.5 yrs ago). I ended up with the Mizuno Wave Nirvana. The guy thought I would faint from the price, but after I said, "hey, bike shoes are more," he laughed. He did give me a small discount, which was nice.
    Then I went home and bought a subscription to Active.com for the C25K program. I am forcing myself to go slowly. I did the first day, which seemed easy, in the 60 second intervals of running never felt terrible. Of course, most people don't do this on a 10% grade hill, but I tried to time the intervals so only 2 were on the uphill. I did the 30 minutes, and ran/walked 2.2 miles, which is interesting because it used to take me 40 minutes to do this same route, with a short warm up and running the rest of the way. That sounds slow, but remember, I see even very fast runners walk up the hill. The shoes were fine and my foot doesn't hurt.
    So, I am not sure how this will play out. Running 3X a week will definitely interfere with my riding and the 2 core/weights classes I am taking. I may be able to double up on the days I take the classes, though, if I run right after the class, in the AM. I know I won't want to run on the days I get home @ 6-6:30. Or, I could actually do a brick, once a week, if I start up my short early morning rides again, soon.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Good job, Crankin! Sounds like you're going about your restarted running program in a cautious, measured way, which should help keep you from injuries. Great that the new shoes felt good the first time out, too!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Yay, taper! Did my last long run yesterday before the 3/24 50k. I am a wee bit undertrained at this point but not much I can do about it now. Looking forward to a couple of easier weeks.

Did my second run/walk at 6 AM this morning. It's absolutely gorgeous out, and was already 42 when I left. I went the opposite way on the hill loop part of my street, so I had less intervals going up! DH set up his old GPS for me. Great, except I could not hear the thing beeping and I ended up having to keep my headlamp aimed at the damn thing, which took a great deal of the fun out of this. I know I have a little hearing loss in one ear, but this was not good. I tried to run faster on the run intervals, which paid off, as my pace for the runs was 9:30, a first for me.
    Not sure what I am going to do with my schedule. Monday is usually my rest day, I'm going to have to double up on Thursdays, and after my long ride yesterday, I want to go out and ride as much as possible! I really don't want to drop my classes at the gym, as they are the reason I joined. And, I need the weights and balance work.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Got in 8.1 miles yesterday. Longest run ever. After that, HillSlugger tried to put the final nail in my coffin by having me chase her for 25 miles thru the park on our TT bikes.

Quads were a bit achy yesterday, and still talking to me this morning.

I've got one more weekend to try to add distance to my runs, then the 25th is a shorter run (10k), and the Cherry Blossom 10-miler is on the 1st. I won't hit 10 miles before then, but I think if I can get close, I should have no problems with the 10. 20,000 other runners will be there to distract me from the pain.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Saturday's long run was on the short side-- 10 miles, yet again. My half is less than 3 weeks away, and I don't feel ready. But there's still time for a 13-14 mile training run.

(But 3 years ago, running 10 miles was inconcievable, for some perspective)

Quote Originally Posted by skhill View Post
    (But 3 years ago, running 10 miles was inconcievable, for some perspective)
    I like hearing this, because for me running 10 miles now is inconceivable, so you give me hope that it might not be forever.

Four miles for me this morning. It was hot and humid (nothing new there), so in the last 1/2 mile when a brief rain shower passed through, I was thrilled. Ended on a happy note!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I like hearing this, because for me running 10 miles now is inconceivable, so you give me hope that it might not be forever.
    In that case I'll remind you again that less than five years ago I posted how I had no interest in running over 10K.

21.5 today - I wound up traveling last week and running short but hard three days in a row, which made it a little too easy to postpone my long run when the weekend weather was cr@ppy (intermittent downpours Saturday, steady 20 mph wind with 35 mph gusts yesterday). Anyway I finally got it done, and it felt pretty good. This is my third run over 20 miles in this cycle and each one has been a little bit quicker, so I'm back in "I think I can" mode.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Hooray for Spring! It was 60F at 6am today, so I was digging through warm-weather running gear trying to decide what to wear. Felt almost naked without mittens on! It was almost a pleasure to battle the wind. It was a wind-slowed 7 miles, and I enjoyed it tremendously.

And it was 2009 that I decided to take on the challenge of running our big 4th of July 10k, intending to never run that far again... How times change! Still haven't done a marathon, but I have a shot of winning my age group in our local 5ks...

Finally running, again! Last real run was a week ago (last post). I came down with a nasty cold (stupid virus). I felt really yucky! Starting to feel like my old self again.

I did manage a bike ride on Sat. Nice & easy. Then Monday I did weight circuit with a few short 1 - 1:30 min runs for HR. Yesterday AM did run/walk on TM.

Today I did 3.4 miles. I kept it slow and easy. I went out later in AM so it was 70's and sunny. Luckily not much humidity to speak of yet. I might need to start getting out earlier soon! Then I changed my shoes to my "barefoot" Merrell Base Access and ran 10 minutes (following their plan). I kept my stride short and really could tell my feet were falling under me and not out in front. Definitely felt it in the calves to start with. I think my form was OK. Kept is slow and worked on form and feeling where and how my feet land. It is exciting to make the transition. My goal is to do most (if not all) my training in the up coming months (including long runs) in these shoes.

K
    katluvr

Four miles this morning. Hot, sunny, and humid. Sweated BUCKETS. I don't know that I'll be able to increase my distance much if at all until rainy season, unless we get another rare spring cold front. The difference between 5 degrees here, or sunny vs. cloudy, is HUGE in how far I can go without misery. Today was one of those runs I was just relieved to finish.
    Emily

Got a nice run in Monday around a lake where I was traveling for work. It has a five mile path all around it. Hooray for daylight savings!

Off for another five today.
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

I didn't have much time this morning, so it was just 3.5 miles. I was focusing on my form, focusing so hard that I tripped on an uneven bit of sidewalk. Thankfully, I landed on the grass-- and it's been so rainy that the ground is quite soft. Then I got up, and kept on running...

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Did my first run-bike-run workout of the season with my tri club last night.
    Was absolutely gorgeous out and they had a big turnout as a result (lots of newbs, too) - about 20 or so, I'd say.
    It's a 2.1 mile run, 10.5 mile bike, and a second 2.1 mile run.
    I hung at the back - as is my usual place - on the 1st run with this guy, Bill. He runs at my pace, so I was really happy he was there, running, since I had someone to talk to and someone to keep me motivated to run and not walk (yeah, it's only a 2.1 mile lap - I get bored easily running! ).
    He bailed on T1 to use the rest room (sheesh!) and I went out on the bike by myself. By the 5th lap, I had passed 3 other women, so I started my run ahead of them. In typical fashion, however, they each passed me on Run2. I am so sucky at running. But at least I also ran the whole second run and didn't walk it - not even up that awful last hill.
    So, my total time was 1:22:49 - which I initially thought was great, but then looking back at last year's times, was only so-so. But, it was about 2 minutes faster than when I did the whole workout for the first time last year (which was in May). So, I guess that's an improvement, right? And...I couldn't breathe until lap 3 on the bike because I wasn't warmed up and the Spring pollen is already getting to me. Lovely. Can't wait until Spring REALLY kicks in. It seems like all my life, I never had seasonal allergies. Now, every Spring, I die a little death working out. <<cough, cough, wheeze, wheeze>> Stinks to get old.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle