Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: STP countdown!

STP countdown!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just had that "Oh Cr@p! Stp is next week" realization. Anybody else feel like they haven't trained enough? I for one have been finding it difficult to motivate myself to train as often as I should have because of our weather. I haven't done any rides over 80 miles and haven't done nearly enough back to back rides

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

I was wondering too, how others were doing with their training... what have you done mileage wise for June lauraelmore? I feel like I am a little bit better prepared than I was last year anyway. I got over 370 miles in for June, much better than last year (less than 200). I did an 80 miler last weekend, but it should have been 100, since we are going to Winlock that first day - 120 miles. But I got a lot of 50 and 60 milers in, and in July so far I've done nearly 200 miles.

The only thing that worries me is my average speed, I am soooo slow... I can never really get much beyond 11 mph, so it takes me a long time. But, hey, I did it last year and lived to tell the tale.

Is this your first STP? Where are you stopping for the night? If you've done an 80 mile ride and are stopping in Centralia, you should be able to do that NO PROBLEM.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

I'm not sure what my mileage looked like for june. I might have ridden over 350 miles. This will be my 5th STP and I'm certain I trained a lot more in previous years. I just didn't feel like riding this year. My husband wanted to train with a faster group again this year and I rode alone because I don't like the behavior that tends to occur in my own pace group. I did tend to force myself to do at least one 50-70 mile on the weekends and maybe a 20-30+ miler during the week if I was lucky. I know I'm better off than I was for my first STP, but it's still going to be a long slog.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

I picket up my packet!!! Omg!!!!

Just got back from a "quick trip to REI in Portland. Picked up our packets. As next week is looking busy. I HAVE A NUMBER AND EVERYTHING!!!! How did this happen?

I'm really excited. I've gone from "I'm signed up for STP" to "I'm riding STP", but just writing this is making my stomach do that topsy turvy dance its been doing for the last week! And then my heart starts racing! But I'm sitting here in my brand spankin new STP jersey with a big smile on my face.

Only got three 70 milers in the last two months. Two were in the last 2 weeks. The first one was followed by a 56 miler the second day. The last two were off bike days. Lots of 20-30 milers mixed in. Felt like I still had a bit left in the tank the last two longer rides.

We are planing on stoping at Napevine (Frosty's Tavern, the oldest tav. in the state of WA) at mile 115. Just after the Napavine hill (I've chugged up it twice this spring). By far everyone's longest ride.

Our support crew will haul all of us back to our house (after a quick stop at the beer garden at Centralia College). Shower, dinner, massages and off to bed. Back to Frosty's early Sunday AM.

Life can really get in the way. But lots of good stuff! We are "Team Wedding" as the bride, groom, FOB, parents of groom (DH and I) & one of the brides maid are riding one week before their "very formal" wedding. The younger ones have age on their side, but they have not had time to ride much lately. Plus, the weather has really stunk! Hope we can all handle this wonderful stuff called sunshine. Guess I won't need the Buff and toe warmers after all! Finally!

I'm still very much the weak link in this group, but have come a long ways from my previous "bleacher mom" status. I really suck at hills, what more can I say! Speeds hovering around 14mph. Not sure I can maintain that for the long haul.

Thanks so much ladies for your encouragement (you & I know who you are, I really appreciate it and probably would not have agreed to this craziness without your support!

This WILL BE my biggest accomplishment mentally and physically EVER.

Who else out there is riding this year???
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Your group should be easy to spot! Have a great ride!

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

Don't think I can get the guys to wear pink veils!
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    I'm not sure what my mileage looked like for june. I might have ridden over 350 miles. This will be my 5th STP and I'm certain I trained a lot more in previous years. I just didn't feel like riding this year. My husband wanted to train with a faster group again this year and I rode alone because I don't like the behavior that tends to occur in my own pace group. I did tend to force myself to do at least one 50-70 mile on the weekends and maybe a 20-30+ miler during the week if I was lucky. I know I'm better off than I was for my first STP, but it's still going to be a long slog.
    Sounds like a little bit of burnout maybe?? Hope the weather holds out for us and you are feeling great for the ride...sounds like you have MORE than enough training for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by smittykitty View Post
    Just got back from a "quick trip to REI in Portland. Picked up our packets. As next week is looking busy. I HAVE A NUMBER AND EVERYTHING!!!! How did this happen?

I'm really excited. I've gone from "I'm signed up for STP" to "I'm riding STP", but just writing this is making my stomach do that topsy turvy dance its been doing for the last week! And then my heart starts racing! But I'm sitting here in my brand spankin new STP jersey with a big smile on my face.

Only got three 70 milers in the last two months. Two were in the last 2 weeks. The first one was followed by a 56 miler the second day. The last two were off bike days. Lots of 20-30 milers mixed in. Felt like I still had a bit left in the tank the last two longer rides.

We are planing on stoping at Napevine (Frosty's Tavern, the oldest tav. in the state of WA) at mile 115. Just after the Napavine hill (I've chugged up it twice this spring). By far everyone's longest ride.

Our support crew will haul all of us back to our house (after a quick stop at the beer garden at Centralia College). Shower, dinner, massages and off to bed. Back to Frosty's early Sunday AM.

Life can really get in the way. But lots of good stuff! We are "Team Wedding" as the bride, groom, FOB, parents of groom (DH and I) & one of the brides maid are riding one week before their "very formal" wedding. The younger ones have age on their side, but they have not had time to ride much lately. Plus, the weather has really stunk! Hope we can all handle this wonderful stuff called sunshine. Guess I won't need the Buff and toe warmers after all! Finally!

I'm still very much the weak link in this group, but have come a long ways from my previous "bleacher mom" status. I really suck at hills, what more can I say! Speeds hovering around 14mph. Not sure I can maintain that for the long haul.

Thanks so much ladies for your encouragement (you & I know who you are, I really appreciate it and probably would not have agreed to this craziness without your support!

This WILL BE my biggest accomplishment mentally and physically EVER.

Who else out there is riding this year???
    You sound SO excited for the ride SmittyKitty, I wish you the very best of luck. I well remember that "butterflies in the stomach" right before we rode last year, ha ha. It will really help having the support crew that you do. (Oh how I wish we had massages at the end of the first day!!)

I can't wait to read your ride report afterwards, be sure to post it!

TAILWINDS!!

Have fun, you all!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Jealous! I thought about signing up and making it work, but missed the second chance.

Have fun, everyone! It's going to be awesome! Just keep riding, just keep riding.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleTree View Post
    Sounds like a little bit of burnout maybe?? Hope the weather holds out for us and you are feeling great for the ride...sounds like you have MORE than enough training for sure.
    Burnout for sure. It's hard to train by yourself...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

Warmer Weather?

Now it looks like it is going to be quite a bit warmer than what I had hoped... In the mid 80s rather than the mid to upper 70s which would have been perfect. Maybe it will change again before Saturday, but I am going to try to prepare for being hot... I think I almost overheated near Tennino last year. I just bought two new insulated camelback bottles, so I am going to freeze half the liquid in those the night before AND bring my neck cooler like I did last year. That thing saved my bacon from being cooked.

I have sunsleeves too, and wetting those down frequently helps quite a bit.

Ride safe. Pray for

TAILWINDS...

yeah, the heat is a big issue with me. We just don't get enough time to acclimate to it around here and then we get a big blast of heat just for that weekend. I have arm coolers, but need to find them. Geeze, we were just running the heater last week...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba

Five of us are coming over from Spokane. Been doing a fair amount of training. We'll see if it was enough. I'm not having the best year riding wise. A hip replacement in January has slowed me down more than I had hoped. But I'll do what I can and enjoy the weekend riding with my bike buddies. Weather here has been down right hot (finally) this last week so hopefully I'm ready for the heat. This will be my second STP. We'll be wearing our club jerseys the first day, they say WOW Cycling, Spokane and are orange and teal. We are starting no later than 6am. Earlier if I can get everyone moving in the morning! So If you see a bunch of old women that meet that description say hi! bikerHen

That WOW jersey sounds familar. Were you guys at the CROC ride?

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2012 Trek Mamba