Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: A vest?

A vest?

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I guess at one year, I'm still kind of a newbie. I have what could be a really dumb question. I scored a free sample primaloft vest much like this one:

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodPI_11231114.html

My question is this, when do you find yourself wearing a vest? I have LS base layers, SS jerseys and fleecy jackets that I wear in any combination depending on weather but a vest has never occurred to me. Maybe you layer over a LS jersey or maybe over a SS jersey on a cool morning start? It just seems that if it's cold enough to warrant primaloft, I'd want sleeves, not a vest. It's a sweet vest though and for free, I'll give it a whirl.
    Last edited by amb; 03-02-2012 at 03:28 AM.

If it's windy or cool at the start of a ride, I wear a vest over a short sleeve wool jersey and arm warmers. The vest keeps your core warm, but can fit easily into a jersey pocket if the day warms up, or even just be mostly unzipped.

Arm warmers are more versatile than a full sleeve jersey for the same reason - easy to get rid of if you don't need them.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I don't own one, but I'd like one for when my jacket is too much, but arm warmers and the wool baselayer isn't quite enough.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I do what Veronica describes on practically EVERY ride (except for the wool jersey part - I do synthetic jerseys).

Arm warmers/vest/SS jersey work for every type of weather, unless it's raining (wear full showers pass jacket from the start), or going to rain (bring thinner rain jacket along in a pocket), or ridiculously cold (wear full thermal jacket and maybe even rain jacket on top). I have several weights of vest (thick wind and cold stopper, thinner for cool, not cold days) and pair with varying thicknesses of arm warmers.

That said, I don't know that I'd use a primaloft type vest for cycling. It just seems too thick and not breath-y enough.
    Last edited by maillotpois; 03-01-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I use a vest when I know I am doing a huge ascent and then a long descent. I put it on at the top so the windchill keeps off my chest, but it weighs nothing.

TDF riders often grab pieces of newspaper to stuff down their tops (spectators give it to them). I prefer a vest thanks!

Sweet vest. lucky you to have access to PI stuff for free.

If it's free, what's the problem?

Wear it when you need to keep the wind off your core, It is easily packable and great for layering with underlayer, arm warmers and short sleeve or sleeveless jerseys.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I love vests for their versatility. I'd love to have a thermal vest with a windproof front for days that are cooler than what a plain windblocking vest will handle. Any ideas?

I am also one that love my vest. I use it most in the seasons like Spring & Fall. I have a jacket where the sleeves zip off to form a vest and I use it more as a vest than the jacket mostly with arm warmers and SS jersey. Usually when I begin my ride it is chilly and as it warms up it is so much easier to pull down or take off the arm warmers than zip off the sleeves of the jacket and arm warmers are less bulky in the pocket. I usually don't have the need to take off the vest as I just unzip it 3/4 way down if I am getting too warm.

I consider it a must have piece of cycling apparel.
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

I have a very light weight vest for wet days when I don't want the rooster tail to get on my jersey.

I wear mine all the time, rarely leave home without it tucked in the pocket, esp. this time of year.
    Lookit, grasshopper....

two words- wool underlayer and a light nylon vest work for me.

I love my sleeveless wool underlayer with a wind vest in temps from 25-65 .

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."