Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Incisions and Sun Exposure

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm coming up on the 6 month anniversary of my ankle surgery. Does anyone have any definitive info on how long incisions should be protected from the sun to reduce scarring and permanent discoloration? I remember reading in some old TE threads that the recommendation was 1 year but all of my Google searches suggest 6 months.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Well, all my searches when I busted my lip last year said a year. I was pretty diligent about it (not so easy with a lip) and the scar doesn't look too bad now. Better safe than sorry if you're concerned about the appearance, IMO. I sure have plenty of old dark scars that got sun right away.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Oh yeah, I'd be really careful with a face scar too. I've also got some small, dark scars on my legs that don't bother me and a big, dark, bruise "stain" on my shin from the surgery that bums me out. These incisions are looong and kind of frame the bruise stain. I'm thinking that I'll be happiest over the years if I do what I can to reduce the darkening of the incisions now. It's a good thing that my husband didn't marry me for my legs
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

I seem to recall when I had my boob reduction surgery that everyone said 1 year...not that it matters, since the girls never see the light of day, anyhow. I think I'd put some really good physical sunblock on your scars or taller socks, in the meantime.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Maybe use it as an opportunity to embrace a funky knee sock look.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

+1 on the 1yr answer. And I've also had a plastic surgeon tell me that the rays of the sun can penatrate clothing. Thus, sunblock is still recommended under the fabric.

You could also try sunblock underneath a water proof bandage of some sort. Just so you keep it from the adhering edges of the bandage. Some of the best sticking water prooof bandaids I've found are the kids/decorative ones called Tatoos... http://www.drugstore.com/nexcare-ban...-vary/qxp75863

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    Maybe use it as an opportunity to embrace a funky knee sock look.
    Actually, I've already been doing that with my capris this winter I'm thinking that knee socks would leave pretty funky tan lines this summer, though I'll probably go for band-aid shaped tan lines instead.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    Some of the best sticking water prooof bandaids I've found are the kids/decorative ones called Tatoos... http://www.drugstore.com/nexcare-ban...-vary/qxp75863
    Now those are fun! I could go for those with my casual looks and plain for dress-up
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB