Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crossfit

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    well you know me, miss "what is it anyway google is my friend"...

Metabolic Training
    Sounds like a new name for circuit training.
    Yes, there is little new under the sun - but perhaps a better understanding of what it does to the body? Perhaps.

A good example of one of the more difficult efforts in a 12 week metabolic training class I had this spring which was a body-fat loss challenge:

After a really strong warmup and some initial exercises we went to the track and did 5 burbees, 5 lunges, 5 burpees, 5 lunges, repeat around the track. Then we did the rest of the workout. It was fun. Brutal...but fun...and what made it even more fun was I could actually do it and didn't get sore

We are starting a 6-week long repeat of a similar group class next week and I am really looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Yes, there is little new under the sun - but perhaps a better understanding of what it does to the body? Perhaps.

A good example of one of the more difficult efforts in a 12 week metabolic training class I had this spring which was a body-fat loss challenge:

After a really strong warmup and some initial exercises we went to the track and did 5 burbees, 5 lunges, 5 burpees, 5 lunges, repeat around the track. Then we did the rest of the workout. It was fun. Brutal...but fun...and what made it even more fun was I could actually do it and didn't get sore

We are starting a 6-week long repeat of a similar group class next week and I am really looking forward to it.
    that sounds like the class I've been doing 2x a week for 3 years. Every time is something different. Mostly it's sets like that for an hour. We mix up dumbells,boxes, balls, medicine balls, movement, bosus and so on.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

that sounds like the class I've been doing 2x a week for 3 years. Every time is something different. Mostly it's sets like that for an hour. We mix up dumbells,boxes, balls, medicine balls, movement, bosus and so on.
    Yep, its all good, and we also have TRX and a large set of kettlebells that we use as well as part of it all I was in individual training at my last gym for 2.5 years, which was was quite good - but I can't swing that any longer. They have group training at my current gym for about 1/5th of what I used to pay for individual training and it is all metabolic training. Later this year I will sign up for the winter.

I've been doing similar type classes for about 7 months now. They have made a huge difference in my fitness and they whip my butt almost every time. I have become stronger and now I am seeing the benefits in my cycling. Some days it is called boot camp, other days ball and core, but it's really circuit training. It's so intense, I have to take at least one full rest day a week and sometimes 2, or at least another day when i do nothing more than an easy 10 mile ride or recovery yoga.
    I chose to continue this rather than continue running.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I really like being able to run again, even though I just run short distances, and I NEVER dreamed I was capable of doing all the things they have us doing. I thought my knee was shot and I would never run again. I can really tell a difference in my overall fitness and well being. The workouts might be brutal, but they pay off. I cannot ride on the days we have those workouts and won't even consider it. I might ride a bit less often during the week when I am in an ongoing class, but I am a lot stronger when I do ride. Another class fires up next week
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-05-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I really like being able to run again, even though I just run short distances, and I NEVER dreamed I was capable of doing all the things they have us doing. I thought my knee was shot and I would never run again. I can really tell a difference in my overall fitness and well being. The workouts might be brutal, but they pay off. I cannot ride on the days we have those workouts and won't even consider it. I might ride a bit less often during the week when I am in an ongoing class, but I am a lot stronger when I do ride. Another class fires up next week
    I had a long discussion with my trainer today about all this stuff. (Crossfit, metabolic training, etc etc) He was saying that the biggest thing he sees is that some programs don't modify... it's do or don't do, and that's where people get hurt. His comment on metabolic training was, "it depends on which metabolism you are wanting to train" and then went on some - so I'm not even going there, it got way too deep and scientific for me in a hurry.

But yes, these multidisciplinary programs are amazing. We started for ski conditioning after DH had his big bike wreck. His core was so shot that he couldn't even stand on one foot. I could ski, but my knees were a mess for hiking. I had not been able to hike without pain on descending for 10 years. Part of our program, because it is affiliated with a PT facility, is some free PT. I talked to one of the PTs about my knee ( had an evaluation) and was told, do this for six months and then try a big hike. I have been pain free hiking now, for the first time in years. It was so amazing... I hiked to the top of the peak, and I was terrified of returning as for years it's been excrucating on the downs... not any more. I love being strong for all the sports we do. Skiing three powder days in a row? I'll take it . Another side benefit is being able strong for general whether it's work around the house or yard, lifting, etc and not be over doing it all the time.
    Last edited by Irulan; 06-05-2012 at 08:38 PM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

That PT benefit to your workout sounds awesome. I too have knee issues, and hiking down, descending steps, wearing my beloved 4" heels all cause pain. The PT associated with my insurance won't do multi-target conditioning, even though I've got records saying its a knee issue associated with previous dance and sport injuries, plus hip and foot problems. So annoying.
    1984 Raleigh Technium 440 - retired(coffee runs)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 WSD - 365 miles (updated 7.12.2012) - in a holding pattern due to injury.
    My blog: http://bikesbooksblues.wordpress.com/
    Fundraising link for my friend Aimee, after her ped/car accident

I had a long discussion with my trainer today about all this stuff. (Crossfit, metabolic training, etc etc) He was saying that the biggest thing he sees is that some programs don't modify... it's do or don't do, and that's where people get hurt. His comment on metabolic training was, "it depends on which metabolism you are wanting to train" and then went on some - so I'm not even going there, it got way too deep and scientific for me in a hurry....
    Sounds like you have a great trainer - and he nailed it regarding metabolic training Fitness "fads" are one thing, understanding goals and how different fitness tools support those is something else - and sadly there are trainers who are more into the former than the latter. Thankfully I've never known any in that first category, but I've heard enough stories about them.

My gym is a very large university based sports/fitness research facility - they have great trainers who are accustomed to working with everyone from the most elite athlete to someone who just walked into a gym for the first time in their life.

They do push, and push hard to help us progress and meet our goals BUT they are also careful to teach us modifications at the same time and educate us about the exercises we are doing (THIS is good for THAT, etc). All of the classes aren't brutal, well, at least not in the same way, and everything can be adjusted to our specific level. They do have individual training available, but they focus on small group training. They won't hesitate a second to stop us (even if we are working out on our own) and make suggestions if they see we are having problems with something.

As I do more of the metabolic training, or whatever one wishes to call it, I find my overuse injuries less likely to act up - as long as I don't try to ride that day or do a long ride the following day. I've had to change my riding schedule a bit but I see so much benefit from this...
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-06-2012 at 03:19 AM.

I also notice that one of the instructors of the early AM classes I go to absolutely does no modifications. She also is a bit more of a drill instructor than necessary; I don't like her barking in my ear (I'd like to have her meet my son, who really is a sergeant). I rarely go to her class anymore, but for me, it was OK, since I knew how to modify in the beginning. What's bad, is that if a new person comes to this class, they don't return. The thing is, I was already fit when I started this, I am a certified (though lapsed) fitness instructor, and I know what hurts me. Yet, I still felt like I was going to faint for the first few weeks. If I felt like this, no wonder others don't return.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by chatnoire View Post
    That PT benefit to your workout sounds awesome. I too have knee issues, and hiking down, descending steps, wearing my beloved 4" heels all cause pain. The PT associated with my insurance won't do multi-target conditioning, even though I've got records saying its a knee issue associated with previous dance and sport injuries, plus hip and foot problems. So annoying.
    (find a new pt?)

A good athletic trainer should be able to give you a set of exercised for knee stability.

Now, I am NOT a fitness professional. All the usual caveats apply. Here's what I worked on, at the suggestion of the PTs and trainers where I work out. There's probably more but we do so many different thing I can't always remember the specifics.

Box step downs. This was one of the main ones.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReJJzlp0eeU
    you can do it at home on stairs if you don't have a box.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbsk0jjHE8E more advanced.

You can vary foot position with the "free" foot: heel forward, foot in front of the hips, heel back, foot behind the hips, always staying balanced on the weighted foot.

Lateral bounds. Sideways jumps landing on the outside foot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eaq4d...eature=related

Balance work:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wPn5u0WgLg

who knows if this is the right stuff for you. All I know that was to do an 11 mile hike, half of it down hill, and be pain free for the first time in years was amazing.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Oh...I so will be looking up "functional fitness" in this area........I am all for training safely!

thank you