Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Biking

New to Biking

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello All, my husband and I just started getting into riding. He got a Trek DS 8.3 and I got a Trek Neko. Anyone have any experience with the Neko? I don't see a lot of reviews or hear of many people that have them. I loved the bike as soon as I rode it at the bike shop. I did change the saddle already though...lol. The stock one is too hard or possibly too small. They said to give it some time, and I can always change it back. I also bought a trailer to pull my one year old daughter in. She seems to love it!

Hello and welcome to the group. Lovely to hear that the whole family is enjoying cycling.

Welcome to the forum! I heard great things about the Trek Neko and considered it before I decided to go fully road. It's a cross between a mountain and a road bike and designed for women which made it very appealing to me. I'm glad the whole family can bike together. Enjoy!!

http://www.momcentral.com/blogs/the-...e-trek-neko-sl

Quote Originally Posted by jyyanks View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I heard great things about the Trek Neko and considered it before I decided to go fully road. It's a cross between a mountain and a road bike and designed for women which made it very appealing to me. I'm glad the whole family can bike together. Enjoy!!

This is one of the few write-ups I've seen about the Neko. I wish I could have afforded the SL model, but I only have the base model. No disc brakes, which isn't a big deal to me (although other forums were saying I was nuts NOT to get them). I'm very happy with the base one. I did change the seat, and also the stem to an adjustable to make the bars even a little more upright..so I have the option. I'm going to try out the new seat today, the weather seems to be warm enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jyyanks View Post

I wish I could have afforded the SL model. I went with the base model Neko, but I'm very happy with it. No disc brakes, but that's ok. Although, on another forum some people were saying I was nuts NOT to get them. I put my new saddle on last night and will try that out today. And I also had an adjustable stem put on so I can sit more upright if I choose to. I love the bike so far, just wish there were more people out there that had it and more info and reviews on it

Welcome!

2009 Trek FX 7.3
    2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact

Welcome!

What a great way to spend time with your daughter and get some fresh air and excercise to boot! I hope you find a saddle that suits you, but give it time to break in (you that is, not the saddle). It takes a while.

Isn't this forum the best?
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Thank you everyone! Went for another short 4 mile ride today (it's hard pulling the baby!). Beautiful weather here, the rail trail was awesome. I think I like the new seat - definitely not as hard as the stock one. I need to ride on it more to know for sure.

@Gypsy, how do you get your bike info printed in the small purple writing?

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineO View Post
    @Gypsy, how do you get your bike info printed in the small purple writing?
    In your UserCP (control panel) you can add a signature. That's what is!

2009 Trek FX 7.3
    2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact

Pulling or pushing a baby/kid is an excellent work out. I used to jog with my daughter in one of the baby jogger stroller and it was hard. The weight of the stroller plus a 30 pound baby, OMG!

I was supposed to do an 8 miler today in the trainer but I'm exhausted. I'm so ready for spring!

Welcome! I'm a newbie as well and also living in NY.

Thank you everyone! Went for another short 4 mile ride today (it's hard pulling the baby!). Beautiful weather here, the rail trail was awesome. I think I like the new seat - definitely not as hard as the stock one. I need to ride on it more to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    In your UserCP (control panel) you can add a signature. That's what is!
    Ohhhh ok...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Maye View Post
    Pulling or pushing a baby/kid is an excellent work out. I used to jog with my daughter in one of the baby jogger stroller and it was hard. The weight of the stroller plus a 30 pound baby, OMG!

I was supposed to do an 8 miler today in the trainer but I'm exhausted. I'm so ready for spring!

Welcome! I'm a newbie as well and also living in NY.
    I have a jogging stroller as well, although, I'm not a jogger. Never had the stamina. But it's a very smooth ride for walking. What kind of trainer do you have? My husband wants one, but I told him we should wait until the fall...it's almost spring and we probably don't really need it at this point.

Hello All, my husband and I just started getting into riding. He got a Trek DS 8.3 and I got a Trek Neko. Anyone have any experience with the Neko? I don't see a lot of reviews or hear of many people that have them. I loved the bike as soon as I rode it at the bike shop. I did change the saddle already though...lol. The stock one is too hard or possibly too small. They said to give it some time, and I can always change it back. I also bought a trailer to pull my one year old daughter in. She seems to love it!
    Never heard of either bike (I jumped straight to a road bike), but if you're having fun, great!

Welcome to TE!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I have a jogging stroller as well, although, I'm not a jogger. Never had the stamina. But it's a very smooth ride for walking. What kind of trainer do you have? My husband wants one, but I told him we should wait until the fall...it's almost spring and we probably don't really need it at this point.
    I stopped jogging due to a back injury that I have to take care of,which I haven't
    The trainer brand is CycleOps and I think the model is the Fluid. I have to use it since I'm training for 65 mile ride, ufff!