Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T.I. Swim

Smile T.I. Swim

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi. Have any of you here tried Total Immersion swimming techniques? I just want to share my experience with you all. I've always condsidered myself a "good" swimmer and been doing so for more than five years now, but it is only last year that my swimming dramatically improved. I didn't think I was really going to improve significantly. My strokes are more effecient and I'm way more relaxed in the water. It taught me how to spend less energy in the swim leg to have enough energy for the bike and run.

Here's their free tutorial video

http://www.youtube.com/user/tiswim

I like how the techniques are broken down to the smallest details
    Last edited by Angelisha_jones; 08-28-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Another fan of Total Immersion here!

I've been immersed in TI since June when I registered for my first ever tri event, a half IM Aquabike event Sept. 24th. I've watched and studied the videos and most recently the TI book, "Triathlon Swimming Made Easy".

The philosophy of TI is perfect for me, to swim with economy and not worry about speed. The only way I will be able to swim 1.2 miles next month is by swimming with economy. I've just started with it, but I like the improvements I've seen so far.

Susan
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been."

http://www.loveofbikes.com

Thanks for the links! Been struggling with increasing swim speed.

Edit: Okay, on video 4 and already there's about 5 things different than what my open water swim coach is telling me. Maybe this is why I'm getting slower...
    Last edited by Caddy; 08-30-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Anyone compared Total Immersion with Swim Smooth? I like both approaches but there are some significant differences. Where they differ I am inclined to go with TI, but I don't really know, so I wondered.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Susan- good to hear that! It is all about swim-economy.

Caddy- You're welcome. I've been watching their videos over and over again. I think the best way is to apply the techniques one at a time. It takes time and patience.

Wow. I only looked through their Work Less, Swim Better free videos, didn't get a chance to do the drills, but already a remarkable improvement during my open swim class tonight.

Thank you so much.

And best of all, no shoulder pain! Just a nice tired feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
    Wow. I only looked through their Work Less, Swim Better free videos, didn't get a chance to do the drills, but already a remarkable improvement during my open swim class tonight.

Thank you so much.

And best of all, no shoulder pain! Just a nice tired feeling.

You're more than welcome.

Angelisha, you say you've been doing TI for 5, but it really kicked in during the last year. What changed? I have been doing it on and off for 3 years (self taught with the book) but I have a hard time sticking to the drills because I don't really feel like it's making that much of a difference. Have you been doing the drills religiously? I also find it hard to incorporate the drills into my masters workouts...

Quote Originally Posted by zia View Post
    Angelisha, you say you've been doing TI for 5, but it really kicked in during the last year. What changed? I have been doing it on and off for 3 years (self taught with the book) but I have a hard time sticking to the drills because I don't really feel like it's making that much of a difference. Have you been doing the drills religiously? I also find it hard to incorporate the drills into my masters workouts...

I have been doing TI for a year now but I've been swiming for 5 years or so.

About the drills, yes, I do the drills. I find it very helpful especially having a week off or a lay off.

I've been taking a swimming course through my local community college & they are all about swimming faster without regard to swimming efficiently. She wasn't even sure what T.I. was.

I've dropped the course because I don't want to practice my bad habits. I do the T.I. drills and they really help a non-swimmer like me. It can get tedious, especially when I have a bad day in the pool (just can't get the feel right) but I do think it works.

Does anybody have the DVD? If so, is it good? I've read the book, but I'd like to see it in action.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    I've been taking a swimming course through my local community college & they are all about swimming faster without regard to swimming efficiently. She wasn't even sure what T.I. was.

I've dropped the course because I don't want to practice my bad habits. I do the T.I. drills and they really help a non-swimmer like me. It can get tedious, especially when I have a bad day in the pool (just can't get the feel right) but I do think it works.

Does anybody have the DVD? If so, is it good? I've read the book, but I'd like to see it in action.
    I don't have the dvd but I've watched a number of TI videos on You Tube. This link should take you to a 7 part series, Perpetual Motion Freestyle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97b6XIntfcc
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been."

http://www.loveofbikes.com

I'll check out the YouTube videos. I borrowed the DVD from a friend and I found it very useful to see what is only described or pictures, in the book.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Total Immersion Weekend Clinic

My plan for the next few years is to eventually get into the water and complete some tri's, then longer distance tri's. My last (and only) swimming lessons were 45 years ago.

So, being sold on the method, I bought the book and DVD. Practiced the techniques. Unfortunately there is no feedback. So I took the plunge and sought out the services of the doctor, the "stroke doctor", looking for a prescription for my swim.
    http://www.strokedocswim.com/

I just did a course that was run at Georgia Tech in Atlanta over the weekend.
    (magnificent facility!) Oh my!!!There is nothing like a video with analysis to see all the areas in which one needs to make improvements. Let's just say, I will need many refills on that prescription!! It was a humbling experience, but a necessary one. I have lots of work to do to make myself an efficient swimmer, but I now know what I need to work on (everything.....) One of the most helpful things is that you get a copy of your first day swim (front and side view) and your second day swim on your own flash drive. So you can relive every painful moment. Really, I can't wait to do another video in a few months. I expect improvement.

The doctor, Gary Fahey, is based out of Fort Lauderdale. He had 4 other coaches with him, plus an "intern" (swimmer Adrejs Duda who swam for Latvia at the Beijing Olympics). Excellent swimmer: coach ratio, lots of time in the pool and lots of feedback. Nice laid back approach.

For me, worth every penny.

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

Trying to progress beyond Total Immersion technique, since it gives you the basic building blocks but does not really allow for "faster" swimming. (Please note that I am very happy with Total Immersion and how comfortable/easy it has made swimming, but I feel stalled, improvement wise.

Will be trying https://www.findingfreestyle.com/ and giving feedback if anyone is interested.
    2011 Specialized Crux, aka (Toxic Honey)
    I'm faster in kilometers!

Yes, please share!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid