Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Have you registered for Ride the Rockies 2012?

I am planning on doing Ride the Rockies. If you have signed up, please chime in. I don't know anyone who loves to ride like I do, so it would be great to meet others and possibly train with others at altitude before the event. I am really excited because this will be my first RTR.

Yup! If I get in, I think this will be my 7th year. Feel free to ask questions!!!

Edit to add: my training is a sea-level altitude. That's gonna hurt...
    Last edited by Pedal Wench; 02-21-2012 at 07:15 PM. Reason: added info
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Ride The Rockies

Great to hear! I just signed up and I am looking forward to it. I will be getting back to my 100 mile a week schedule and build up. How to you prepare for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Phyre View Post
    Great to hear! I just signed up and I am looking forward to it. I will be getting back to my 100 mile a week schedule and build up. How to you prepare for it?
    Ride lots. Then ride some more. This year is one of the hardest/most challenging routes, so I would start adding miles (no more than 10%/week) as soon as you can. Find hills and start doing hill repeats and hill intervals, and almost as important, work on your descending skills.

I live 600 miles away from any hills, so I'll be seeking out any headwind I can find, and making sure to keep my weight in check - get that power-to-weight ratio working in my favor.

And always remember, it's a ride, not a race. Find your happy gear and stick to it. Some of the climbs are 20 miles long - you need to have a gear that's easy enough to spin in for hours.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

A round trip ride to my work is 26 miles, but I only ride when there isn't much snow on the bike paths, and when it is over 30 degrees. My road bike slides around too much. I was going to splurge on a nice cyclocross this year, but I could not find a really good one with a low enough stand over height. I'm 5'3". So I decided not to spend money on a cyclocross that I might not absolutely love. I increase my miles over the weekends. I have riden up to 90 miles in one day, so I know how to get my body up to that. Last weekend I did a 30 mile ride. I will keep adding more miles every week.

I my happy gear is my only gear! I keep a steady pace. I will be doing some 50 to 100 mile rides at altitude before the RTR. I will invite others to come along who live in Colorado, but it sounds like you live far away...

Also, I love the decents! Isn't that the only reason for climbing anyway? My bike is actually a Tri bike and I am putting drop handlebars on it next month. She flies down the hills!!!

Did you get picked in the lottery? I did! Can't wait!