Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Heck, I keep a space blanket in my not-too-big seat pack on my roadie. Useful in case of shock even if the ambient temperature isn't that low. I didn't figure there was any point in throwing away the one they wrapped me with on one finish line.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    The urge "not to turn around" is what gets people in bad situations when they are in the outdoors. I just read a research article about this and how our perception changes, even though we know otherwise. In particular, the cold affects our thinking.
    I know Wahine wasn't in any danger and she was in a familiar place, but just a cautionary statement. I get totally freaked out by the possibility of hypothermia or frost bite, which happens very easily to me.
    It does sound fun, though.
    Do you have a link or a citation for the article?

That describes me exactly. I am very proud of myself because I am past master at getting lost, yet on Sunday I managed not to get lost. I was out on trails I've never been on before, and I was alone, with no map, no phone, no GPS, and only a vague notion of where the trail would be going. The trail was supposed to meet up with another trail and make a loop. I got to a point where I knew if I went any further I wouldn't be able to retrace my steps, and I wasn't sure if the loop thing was going to happen. So I did something completely unexpected.

I turned around.

And I didn't get lost!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Heck, I keep a space blanket in my not-too-big seat pack on my roadie. Useful in case of shock even if the ambient temperature isn't that low. I didn't figure there was any point in throwing away the one they wrapped me with on one finish line.
    I have a few of those from IM finishes. I figure that if I ever use them again, the smell alone on them would be enough to wake an unconscious victim.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    That's a good point. I may start doing that as a head lamp backup. I already carry waterproof matches, a small first aid kit and extra food. But I think I'll throw a space blanket as well.
    Wow, Wahine, totally impressed with your perseverence! I would have found such slow going to be frustrating. (OTOH, I'm such a crappy bike handler on trails that 2.5mph would probably be my average *without* the obstacles... )

I ALWAYS carry a space blanket on rides over 100 miles. I've only needed it once, but boy, when I needed it, I *really* needed it! http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=40339

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Melavai, it wasn't a peer reviewed article; it was in the current issue of Psychology Today (I know, not a scientific journal). There were 10 examples of well documented phenomena of situations where we don't turn back. Those examples did have some previous research cited, as well as some pretty startling examples.
    I have a good sense of direction on the road, but once I am in the woods, everything looks the same to me. I went mountain biking by myself a few times, after work, about 7-8 years ago. I was in some conservation land I am fairly familiar with, but I did get lost. I turned around when something just didn't "feel" right and got back to a trail I recognized.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Wahine you sound like you make a point to be of sound mind and body My first reaction was wow, you could have really gotten into trouble then as I read all the post I could see that you already were aware of that and had planned accordingly. Had a long conversation with my DD, the backcountry and freestyle skier after the big avalanche accident last week and was pleased to hear her perception about turning around, staying safe and simply knowing when to not go. Glad you two had an adventure (and I agree, spare gloves) Also I throw in those heat packs that when exposed to air put off heat - grabbers? just note they do have expiration dates.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Skyking, I really like your suggestion about hand/foot warmers.

I also plunked down a sh!tl0@d of money on a pair of proper winter boots today. They are the same ones my BF was wearing during the adventure. His toes were toasty the entire time and when he took the boots off at the end, his socks were dry! I guess a couple of hundred dollars or so isn't too much to pay for warm feet.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS