Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

suggestions for sunglasses and socks

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am in need of a new pair of sunglasses. I wear contacts so something that would block wind and debris would be helpful. Of course comfort and something with a nice appearance would also be a plus. (not much to ask, huh? ) Any suggestions?
    Also on a search for the perfect sock.
    Thanks!

I love, love, LOVE my Tifosi Slips. They come in very rocking colors, have three pairs of lenses for different levels of lighting. Are reasonably priced (compared to Rudy Projects) and are quite hardy. If you're willing to shell out, Rudy Projects have some glasses that allow you to put in prescription inserts which gives you the option of eliminating the contacts when you want to. Can't help with the socks, I just wear regular ankle socks from Marks & Spencer's and Little Miss Matched.
    "My school is the doubt in your eyes." - Tito Mukhopadhyay

Smith & Wesson Mini Magnum, and Teko merino or Injini Performance Outdoors.

Depends on what activity you want each for, of course.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm currently wearing a pair of Ryders sunglasses (with the 3 interchangeable lenses). For socks, it's primarily Smartwool cycling socks...although I do have a few pair of DeFeet cycling socks that I like as well. I wear different thicknesses of socks depending on the temps. I have thin for really warm days, medium for average temps, and thicker for cold weather.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Tifosi photochromatics for partly cloudy ---> full sun, and $5 clear safety glasses for dark.

I am a HUGE fan of Optic Nerve sunglasses--their photochromics have the widest range of any photochromic lens...wider even than much more $$ brands. I have the Neuro Toxin frame. I've got a pair with the photomatic lenses and a pair that have 4 different lenses (purchased so that I'd have clear lenses for night riding). These wrap well around my smallish face.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I have terrible eyesight, and the only company that will make my prescription is Rudy Project, possibly Performance if their selection didn't suck.

Socks...I really like my Smartwool PhD socks (why do my socks have a higher degree than me?) for winter wear, but I have a bunch of SockGuy, etc socks for the summer.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Due to migraines and light sensitivity, I wear sunglasses more than most people, like when it rains and sometimes indoors. Without a doubt, the best I have ever worn are Oakleys. I currently have the Flak Jackets. Some of their other sport styles were too big for my face. I have the darkest lenses (black iridium) and they're polarized. They're not cheap, but the optic quality is better than any other sunglasses I've ever worn. And they stay put while you sweat -- the material they use for the nosepads and earpieces is specially made to stay in place while wet. They're also comfortable enough to wear all day.

I also have a pair of yellow lenses that I use when riding near dark.

As for socks, I like DeFeet, either Aereators or Wooleators. They just fit me well. I have a couple pairs of Pearl Izumi socks but they're not soft enough around the toes.
    Last edited by ny biker; 02-20-2012 at 08:11 AM.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I'm also loving my Oakleys, Half Jackets in my case. Light, comfortable, and crystal clear optics.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I think Oakleys r the best ones. I have lost so many pairs!!. I will be shopping for new ones after buying my new road bike

Oakley Radars

love my Oakleys. lost my flat jackets so now I have the fast jackets - very comfy

I like Ryders - they have all kinds of styles are relatively inexpensive for bicycle glasses and have good optics (not great), but good enough for me and the cost is right for me too

I swore love everlasting to my Oakleys.
    When I lost them, I got some Smith's which are really more comfortable. The Oakleys put a bit more pressure on a spot behind my ear and I think it may have triggered headaches. I hope stuff like that never happens to anyone else (or to me either for that matter).
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I gave up on Oakleys after, in quick succession, I lost one pair and the dog ate another. I give up no noticeable optical quality with my $9 S&Ws - and I'm pretty sensitive to that. When they get scratched, I just pull the next pair out of the case I buy 'em by, rather than tolerating reduced vision because I won't spend $200 every time I get a scratch.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 02-23-2012 at 05:58 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler