Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Barend Shifters

Barend Shifters

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm building up a Surly Long Haul Trucker and I'm to the part where I install the barend shifters. I found a you tube video that shows this process which I think I can follow alright, but when the guy in the video adds the last screw he applies bee's wax to the threads. Using bee's wax is new to me and I wonder how important this step is and where do I get it?

Beeswax is a new one on me, but I think the point is to use a non-migrating lubricant to prevent galvanic corrosion.

Use whatever you use on your pedal spindles. The same anti-seize you use on your spark plugs will work. A very light coating of white lithium grease is a good choice too, though with grease you need to be very careful not to apply any more than you need, since it will attract a lot of dust and grit if it migrates out of the threads and into your cable.

But I like the idea of beeswax. It's cool and a little retro - besides being non-petroleum. And it seems like it would migrate less than any kind of grease. Make sure you get pure beeswax, not something with additives that might corrode your parts or degrade and get sticky. If you don't have a winter farmers' market in your area where you can get it right from the beekeeper, try a candle shop or a craft shop that carries candlemaking supplies?
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 02-19-2012 at 04:04 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Beeswax is used to coat thread in quilting and attaching buttons. You can usually find it in the notions of a yard-goods store like Jo-Anns, of some W-marts.