Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Rides?

Weekend Rides?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I headed out today for a ride, but called it quits after 35 minutes and came home for another 40 minutes on the trainer. For some reason my asthma was troubling me...I didn't think I needed my balaclava for 41 degree temps, apparently I do

Still, it felt good on the bike, but even with my indoor work I can tell I've lost bike endurance...no matter, spring is coming

First outdoor ride this year! 34.4 miles. Apparently the indoor training has been improving my speed (no computer right now, but I was done in about 2.5 hours and that included a pee break and some very long waits at intersections), but not so much endurance. I actually ate a large breakfast and still wasn't sure I'd get home toward the end.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Today I took my first real group ride with The Hammerin' Wheels Road Bike Club. This was a 28 mile ride with a couple of short climbs and descents, but nothing real grueling. It was billed as a ride for "intermediate beginner+" riders. Why did I ride a beginner ride when I'm not technically a beginner, you ask? Well, all their intermediate to advanced rides have average speeds that I know I can't maintain, so I was waiting for a ride that I knew I could keep up on for the entire ride.

I met BikeForums member sinclac. He was wearing the red Bike Forums 50+ jersey you see in the video, and was also one of the ride leaders.

On this ride I rode with the leaders for the entire ride. It started in Roseville and wound through Rocklin and Lincoln before returning to Roseville. The two climbs were on Twelve Bridges Drive in Lincoln. I don't think the grades got much over 7%. I did my usual push hard on the climbs and live up to my username thing.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/150650990

I apologize for the bounciness in the video. I adjusted the straps upward on the GoPro chest strap mount, but it made the problem worse instead of better.

Video is of the two climbs and descents. The rest of the ride was full of loud traffic and flat ground or slight inclines, so I figured it wasn't as interesting.

Video is 100% natural sound. This means heavy breathing on the climbs, so be forewarned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAp7PqiUtPQ

I rode outside yesterday; first outdoor ride in February this year. There have been quite a few good riding days this month, but, unfortunately, I've been at work or I wimped out and went on a hike or rode the trainer/went to the gym.
    We did a loop around Great Brook Farm, 21 miles. I am still getting used to my Guru, but I think the issue with the Frogs is solved. I just have to keep my feet/heels turned a little more inward; I also have been able to hear a little click when I put the left foot in, which has been the problematic one. I was wearing my regular mtb shoes with booties, not my winter cycling boots, and I think that also helped. Also raised the saddle a little less than a cm.
    It was really nice out, about 42-49 during our ride, but very windy. One of those days where you feel like you are riding into a headwind no matter what direction you are going.
    We are meeting son and DIL for brunch at 1:00 today. I probably will venture out around 10:30 for a short ride, even though it will be around 36. Back to the winter shoes and gloves.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

It has been rainy here so I've hardly ridden in a week. Yesterday the sun finally came out but the wind was vicious. In the open areas I could hardly keep upright with the gusty winds. Fortunately, the neighboring state park is sheltered so the wind was livable there. I did 20 minutes of "intervals lite" (at 90% effort, on a minute, off a minute) and came back home. All told, on the bike for all of a half an hour. Today should be less windy and no rain in the forecast for the foreseeable future. I am scheduled to ride with some of the old guys in the rv parks Monday and Tuesday so I won't do a real long ride today.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

I did my lbs ride yesterday. They picked an easier route since I told them I wasn't up to climbing just yet. They also rode slowly, but I still couldn't keep pace. I had a nice guy stick with me, and we rode my speed, no pressure to go fast, but I still made a futile attempt. The rest of the guys stopped and waited a few times, but I still kept getting dropped. It was a little windy and in the 40s, a pretty beautiful day. 30 miles.

I need to figure out a game plan for next week, if I want to give it another go. I'm thinking of asking for one of the regulars to stay with me, so everyone doesn't feel the need to stop and wait for me, and someone doesn't end up in the babysitter role by default.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Road out yesterday, 23 mile ride in memory of a cyclist who was killed.

Today, another quick 20 mile ride with a friend, neither of us who has time to ride, but we're putting one in so take advantage of the weekend. Tomorrow I could ride, but I need to figure out if I want to -- I have a family visiting and with my group, it's half a day between the ride and the socializing.

2009 Trek FX 7.3
    2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact

I hear you Catrin- I've been in allergy hell for over a week. Don't know what triggered it, but I was unable to breathe through my nose for a week and I'm still partially congested. Had to use a nasal spray for a few nights so I could sleep.

Gypsy .

So I went on my first ride in almost a week on Friday, commuting to work. And yesterday I rode in the Santa Monica mountains. The air was so clean and crisp, as we had some rain earlier in the week. So sunny, with a nice cool breeze. Kept thinking, this is why people move here. People are dealing with winter back east, and I am riding around the local mountains in shorts and short sleeves. . It's supposed to rain today but I doubt it.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

I got out for the first time in nearly 4 weeks yesterday. I could definitely tell I lost some bike fitness. I only got 17 miles in. It was chilly or maybe I am wimpy but it was in the low 40's and my ears, face and toes were a little chilly. It was nice to reunite with my bike though!

got out for about 20 miles on the Mohawk Hudson. Allergens punished me for doing that.
    Cohoes, NY

Turn around at Niskayuna Depot:

Ice on the Mohawk:

and on the trail:

still mid winter

Rode the Saturday morning club ride. We had a timed hill climb in the middle. My average was fast for me, but I can't come anywhere near to keeping up with this club. They were doing at least 20 on some of the hills!!

DH and I are going to do some kind of ride today, we haven't decided what yet.
    Last edited by ivorygorgon; 02-19-2012 at 07:07 PM.
    Trek Madone - 5.5 -Brooks B-17

Trek 2.1 WSD - Brooks - B-17 - Trainer bike;

Gary Fisher - Tassajara (MTB) - Specialized Ariel

I rode 43 miles yesterday, mostly solo, though I shared my national park card with some visiting cyclists from New York at Saguaro NP. They dropped me on the big hill, but that's okay- I'm used to it I ventured on to enjoy some of the roads on Tucson's far east side, including one of the steeper hills in the area, to the end of the pavement on Reddington Pass road. I thought of you , luv2climb) - gets over 12% but only half a mile long. It was my first ride since last Sunday's century, and today is supposed to be windy so I probably will stay home. I have 4 days off next week and the weather should be pretty nice.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Just came back from a short (11 mile) ride before going to brunch in Boston. It's gorgeous out; sunny and clear, about 35 when I started and 39 at the end. Wore my AmFib gloves for the first time and didn't kill myself shifting . Felt a little stronger with the gearing on my Guru, the jury is still out if I am going to get the cassette with the 16... lose my lowest gear.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

The thermometer on the porch said 40* but my bike computer said 35* - I’m believing the bike computer – it was chilly! And I never did quite warm up. But, it was nice and sunny and there was hardly any traffic on the roads. I think I did about 20 miles (the computer is not registering mph or miles for some reason).
    The photo shows the difference in how the roads are cared for between Pepperell and Dunstable. I much prefer riding in Dunstable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1041.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	14205  
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

First ride outside of the year! Actually, first outside ride ever in February in MN. Unfortunately I had a flat the first 5 minutes into the ride - luckily it was the front instead of the rear, for a change, but that cut into my planned time for a more ambitious loop so I just rode to the river and back. 19 miles. Nice to be off the trainer for a change!

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby