Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Rides?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm about to start a ride where it will be 45 at the start and about 60-62 at the end. Since I'm not going to be on the bike with the rack and pannier, I have to plan carefully. These are my favorite riding temperatures (50-60), but definitely the hardest to dress for. I could not be wearing shorts and a ss jersey at 60. I would also have leg warmers or knickers, arm warmers and a vest. Probably toe covers and light weight wool socks, too.
    Yesterday I did a 24 mile ride with Hirakukibou. We both arrived at our meeting place at the exact same time, which was a first, I think. It was cloudy and 51, a little raw, but we had a good ride. We spend too much time talking to worry about speed, and I had run in the AM. I was fine until about half way through my legs just went dead on a small climb.
    This morning DH and I are going to ride about 15 miles to a breakfast place/diner in Wayland. It's a direction I never ride in, and the one time I rode near there, it was a beautiful ride. It's going to be about 70 this afternoon, but our son wanted us to come with him and his wife for the inspection on the house they bought. I told him this was a huge sacrifice, to give up a warm sunny day in March, but for him, I would do it!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

50.2 miles yesterday with none of the leg cramps that I had last weekend. Thanks to the bloks I ate along the way, I think. Considering another short ride today. It is overcast and I think it'd be nice.

Yesterday's ride was in the upper 70's! It was great seeing *so many* cyclists, runners, families, etc... out and about.

Edited to add: I think I saw a TE member but didn't notice until it was too late to wave.
    Last edited by rubysoho; 03-18-2012 at 09:36 AM.

I was talked into the lbs ride yesterday, with the promise of a shortcut back if I wanted. I got dropped right away, more because I was waiting for my friend who had stopped to pick up someone's glasses. Once he got to me, we kept an easy pace, not trying to catch the group, who were soon little fluorescent blips. Another friend came back and asked if I wanted help getting back to the pack (he's a hand on the back when your struggling up a hill kind of guy) but I knew it would hurt and I'd just get dropped again. But instead of going back, he stayed with us, and when the shortcut turn came, we were unanimous in the decision to take it.

It ended up being the best ride I've had in a while. Lots of laughing, nothing hard. The three of us have ridden together before, on a ride when I was strong, and it was so cold and wet and no one else showed up. My other most favorite ride.

I have no idea how far we went, because none of us had a computer. We made it back to the shop just before the rest of the group, who had several miles on us. I wonder if I'll ever get back to where I was? But I'm not complaining. I still had fun.

Real friends push you uphill, and find the shortcuts back.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

We ended up doing a different ride, when we realized we would be pressed for time doing what we planned. I also ended up riding my Guru, which was good, because for the first time, I felt confident on it and strong (er).
    We rode to some hills in west Concord I rarely ride on for about 12 miles, then we went out to breakfast back in west Concord center, picked up something at the drug store and took a long way home. Total ride was 23 miles. At the end I was wearing a short sleeved jersey, short sleeved base layer, arm warmers, and knickers, short fingered gloves. We probably saw at least 200 cyclists.
    Glad I had my jacket for the beginning, though.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I think I did around 23-25 km.

Must have been around 28 degrees F. Most of snow melted off. But more may be forecasted later this week which is why I piled in some cycling.

There weren't many people out cycling. Saw more joggers than cyclists. Alot of joggers were dressed more lightly than I. But then as a cyclist, with the wind generated by cycling or wind just hitting harder, need to dress more warmly.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Change of Plans

We started out to do an organized ride in this area called the McClinchy Mile. Nice scenic country ride, about 34 miles or so (my husband usually does the longer loop). We got to the start and despite our best hopes the rain would be magically gone 20 miles north, alas, it was still there and then some.

The rain itself might not have been SO bad, but most of the route is along 2 or 3 lane roads with mixed traffic, heavy in spots. Not so much what is coming down but what is being thrown up in our faces from the road that made us reconsider.

Well, on our way home it lightened up a little and we thought, well, since we are all geared up why not just take a ride along the rail trail instead, at least we'd get a ride in. So that's what we did! I got in only 17 miles, and actually it started raining harder AND snowing on us on the way back. Boy were we soaked. But we felt better having at least cycled...and made the hot soup and hot bath seem sooooooooo much more luxurious at home.

I did find out that Specialized shoe covers do diddly-squat in a heavy rain.

The upshot is that a few hours after we got home, the sun came out and it was a beautiful afternoon. That's the northwest for you.
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Did another 20 miles today to bring my weekend total just above 70 miles.

Also, I didn't realize roller blades are coming back. I definitely saw 10 different people on roller blades between yesterday and today.

I've been seeing people on blades with a partner on a bike, interesting!

I rode yesterday so couldn't ride today - but I DID go to the gym and tossed weights around for quite some time I've dinner plans tomorrow night, but if that falls through will ride tomorrow night. 80 degrees in March, gotta love it!

Not Quite Epic, but good practice!

Boy, we sure could use some of that warm weather up here in the Pac NW that the rest of the country is enjoying.

Should have ridden Friday, but the sky looked like it would start pouring at any time. Ended up missing out on a chance to ride.

Canceled on our planned 40+ ride 2 hrs away yesterday (McClitchey Mile through Granite Falls). Too far to drive with the weather we have been having. Should have gone out yesterday between all the clouds and sprinkles. We did do practice stair climbing at the hospital in prep for next Sunday's Big Climb for Lymphoma in Seattle (69 flights of stairs up the Columbia Tower, Seattle's tallest building).

Today we finally decided to go out, the weather had been threatening all day, but nothing. Sun was out, its time to go.

Quick banana, changed into 12 layers of bike gear. Excited to try new Louis Gourneau shorts. Really long, love them. Lubed up, Advil down. Toe warmers in place. Water bottle filled. 2nd time in new road shoes/pedals. I'm excited, I'm ready. Gonna ride my bike.

We go outside, across the yard to the "bike garage", sun shining, but there is this big grey cloud coming our way. DH says we better wait a minute. Sure enough, rain. Back in the house, we wait it out for 5 minutes, just a few sprinkles. Out again. This time bikes are outside, zeroed out my computer. Took those cleat covers off. Starts to rain. Back inside. More waiting. DH steps outside, yep, still raining. Change cloths. Get in cars, DQ has Blizzards on sale and DH has been wanting one. Sitting in the car eating it, watching the SNOW FLAKES hit the car, my toes are toasty warm. Couldn't see letting a good pair of toe warmers go to waste! Quit raining before we got home and has been dry ever since!

Oh, does the hawk we saw along the way count? We were in the car, guess not!

Good Practice Run.

Man we could use some of that warm weather. WE ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE SNOW HERE IN MARCH!!!! Bugs in your mouth! What are bugs?
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

OMG I have been locked inside for weeks on end studying my A$$ off for test after test and today I finally cracked and grabbed the road bike and drove over to the local trail in town. Oh...My....Gawd! It was sooooooo nice to be out on the bike today I absolutely loved every second of it even when my legs were burning from a blustery head wind in spots. I did 29 miles and averaged 17.2 MPH. I was SUPER happy with that It's so amazing to get back on the road bike after commuting all winter. Makes me feel so fast

My friend bailed out of today's ride, which was just fine because yesterday's commute sapped my energy a bit, so I headed over to the local rail trail for an easy flat spin.
    I only did maybe 10 miles, but I enjoyed it because it was a beautiful sunny day and because of all the people out having fun on bikes. There were old couples, young couples, groups of friends, families, one guy on a low rider chopper sort of bike, a cute little girl with a pink bike who stopped every 3 feet to ding her bike bell, a very rotund man on a bike way too small from him, little kids weaving all over the path. It all made me smile.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    OMG I have been locked inside for weeks on end studying my A$$ off for test after test and today I finally cracked and grabbed the road bike and drove over to the local trail in town. Oh...My....Gawd! It was sooooooo nice to be out on the bike today I absolutely loved every second of it even when my legs were burning from a blustery head wind in spots. I did 29 miles and averaged 17.2 MPH. I was SUPER happy with that It's so amazing to get back on the road bike after commuting all winter. Makes me feel so fast
    That was pretty much last week and the week before. I don't regret the lost study time that taking the bike out last Sunday caused.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

In the last 10 days, we have broken an all-time high temp record 7 times and today should be number 8. Saturday it hit 80 and I did a 32 mile loop around Lake Minnetonka - I was wearing a summer outfit and there is still ice on the lakes and scattered snow pile remnants here and there. Yesterday, a meandering ride out West that came to a little over 28 miles. My sit bones are sore (much different being out on the road vs. the trainer ) but my legs and lungs felt great both days.

We usually have snowstorms this time of year. This is just amazing. Everyone here is waiting for the other shoe to drop - will it be an April blizzard, a hotter, muggier summer...?

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

No rides for me over the weekend- I was in my Irish fiddling persona on Saturday and Sunday was incredibly windy and rainy. But I rode over 200 miles between March 10 and 16 on the first week of a two week spring break, so I can't complain. It's still crummy weather here so no ride today either.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Owlie - sometimes you just have to pick your battles Glad I did, hopefully the test this morning went well. I don't regret it either.