Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Thread: Weekend Rides?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Norse View Post
    I spent the past 4 days doing the Red Ribbon Ride which is the AIDS/HIV ride for MN - a grand total of approximately 300 miles. Weather-wise, it may have been the RRR's best year ever - the dewpoint stayed reasonable, the temps under 90 and we frequently had glorious cloud-cover. Rain on the second leg of day 3 did cause one of my teamates to go down hard right behind me. He had a cut above his eye that was bleeding and bruises and gashes filled with road-dirt and pebbles in his shoulder, arm and leg. Mr. Tough Guy though insisted on continuing and he did! Day 3 also saw another teammate total his bike in the most bizarre way: he had athletic tape around a knee (many developed knee trouble during and following the unrelenting, multiple steep hills of day 2) which came loose, got stuck in a spoke, then the rear derailleur and when it was over, his derailleur was turned inside out, flipped 180, nowhere near the back cassette and it somehow bent the frame of his bike. Oh, another teammate got his tire caught in a crevass riding out of town on day 3 and flipped over his handlebars, but he was ok. There was more; day 3 was the Twilight Zone for our group.

I suffered from a saddle sore that was acquired in training, and of course got worse during 4 days of hard riding, but other than that, my body and bike both did very well. All in all, it was a fun, tough, delightful 4 days of bike riding with a great group of people for a very good cause - I achieved a personal fund-raising best of a little over $1,800! Yea donors!
    Congratulations! That sounds like an awesome ride and accomplishment on both the fundraising and the riding. I'm glad your teammate is okay. Goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by lovelygamer View Post
    Congratulations! That sounds like an awesome ride and accomplishment on both the fundraising and the riding. I'm glad your teammate is okay. Goodness.
    Thanks! I just heard from Mr. Tough Guy this morning - he and his bike are both safe and sound at home, neither feeling any worse for the crash.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

Jumped from 20 miles weekend rides to 30miles today and feeling great!!!!.The weather was really good and I got a nice workout. Looking forward to 30 more tomorrow.

Love Never Fails
    2012 Giant Revel 1 -MTB
    2013 Giant Defy 5 - RB(Commute/Easy Rides) "Trooper"
    2012 Diamondback Response XE MTB (my son's)

13' FUJI SUPREME 1.3C (Selle Italia Diva/Easton EC70 SL) "My Girl"

Did our first ride on San Juan Island. Well, I was not mentally prepared for the climbing. The first 11 miles to Roach Harbor were rolling, but I was having issues with the different feel of the bike with the Arkel pack on the back, the off camber bike lane, and the chip seal. I'm a cautious descender at best and the whole combo slowed me down, even more than the "touring pace" I planned. We ate lunch in Roach Harbor and after that, we had a nice 15% grade out of there, and then continued relentless climbs. But, I settled in and the scenery was beautiful.
    31 miles with 2300 ft of climbing.
    Tomorrow, Lopez Island, supposedly flat. I am tired.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yesterday my friend (riding a Specialized Crosstrail) and I (Jamis Aurora) headed out shortly after 8:00 a.m. and rode 17 miles through 3 towns.

Most were nicely-shaded (very hilly) country roads-some unpaved-but the ride did involve crossing a couple busy intersections to get to "a better place". On the return route, we opted to take some dirt paths and pedal within a cranberry bog in the area. It was a pleasant change of pace, and the Aurora handled the variant terrain fairly well.

The weather forecast for today is iffy; I'm not sure I'll be able to get out again. (Perhaps more accurately, I'm not sure my legs are up for the task. We'll see...)

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

Did a quick ride today, since I have a lot to do and had the pleasure of changing a flat for the first time by myself. Until now, I've ridden with friends who knew how to change it or strangers would stop and help.

This time is was all me!

And I did it!

2009 Trek FX 7.3
    2011 Specialized Dolce Sport Compact

I got to ride only about 30 miles total M-R due to being out of town each day for a work-related class. It was really hot and humid in the evenings so I had to keep the rides short and easy. This weekend, though, the weather was really nice, and I got to ride Friday, Saturday and today. It was a little windy on Friday and really, really windy Saturday (did some intervals into the wind on the way out) but today there wasn't nary a leaf rustling with low humidity and temps in the low 70'sF. So beautiful today! I was able to get in 34mi. on Friday, 36mi. on Saturday and 43mi. today. It's been so horribly hot and miserable all summer, we (I) really needed a weekend like this!
    The bicycle has done more for the emancipation of women than anything else in the world. ~ Susan B. Anthony

I went out for ten miles yesterday with my other half. It was a beautiful country ride. We even did a couple of miles of trails. Those always kick my butt. I am not cut out for mountain biking. I did ten more on Sunday, at dusk. Beat my best time @ 52 minutes and that was after waiting in traffic three times.

I've been out looking at entry level road bikes this week. So much to think about. So far, I've looked at Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale
    Last edited by lovelygamer; 07-29-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

Great time on the mountain bike yesterday in my favorite park Went to an interesting workout this morning, and finished off this beautiful day with a 25 mile road ride. Wanted to go further, but this weekend is the first time in a few weeks due to a small injury. All my bits and parts feel just fine

14.8 miles this morning. First ride in over a week, what with the weather, work, and feeling utterly exhausted.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

A new record for me - I did 80 miles on my own bike (not the tandem) yesterday! The most I'd done before that in one go was around 65 miles. The Chris King Gourmet (metric+) Century accounted for 70 miles, and the extra 10 was biking to and from the event start/finish at Chris King HQ. The ride was great - two big hills, one right off the bat before I was really warmed up, and one just about at the end when I was cooked. Oh well, I made it up them eventually. After the final climb was done, I felt great and the last 10 miles flew by (thankfully mostly downhill at that point). I hadn't thought to pack a towel or comb with my clothes for the dinner for afterwards, but I jumped in the employee showers back at Chris King HQ anyway and wow, was that the best shower ever. Even with no soap and no towel

Then this morning, my cyclocross teammates came over to try on sample kits for our pending team kit order and they talked me into going out for an easy recovery spin with them. Which turned into a 34.5 mile quick paced ride. *sigh* So much for recovery.

Rode on Lopez Island today. It's beautiful, but definitely not flat. Who writes these descriptions?
    Lots of riders here, but not crowded on the roads. Had a good lunch, but we are now waiting for the ferry back to Friday Harbor ( a 2 hr wait) and I fully admit to having onion rings as my recovery food.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Rode on Lopez Island today. It's beautiful, but definitely not flat. Who writes these descriptions?
    Lots of riders here, but not crowded on the roads. Had a good lunch, but we are now waiting for the ferry back to Friday Harbor ( a 2 hr wait) and I fully admit to having onion rings as my recovery food.
    onion rings sound amazing right now.

someday i really want to go to the san juan islands. i'm jealous of you!

I got in a ride this weekend! First time on the bike since the crash. We set it up with a trainer, a step stool with a step high enough to reach my phone, tv remote and steps for me. I rode for an hour at approx zone 2, possibly 3.

I needed help getting on and off the bike, and I don't have the upper body strength on my left side to grip the handlebars for balance yet, so I don't know that I'm ready to go on the road. I will probably try for another hour tonight, and again later in the week, as I am also starting PT. Yay, exercise!

I'll admit, it was a little nerve wracking to be on the bike again, despite the safety of the set up.
    1984 Raleigh Technium 440 - retired(coffee runs)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 WSD - 365 miles (updated 7.12.2012) - in a holding pattern due to injury.
    My blog: http://bikesbooksblues.wordpress.com/
    Fundraising link for my friend Aimee, after her ped/car accident

Quote Originally Posted by chatnoire View Post
    I got in a ride this weekend! First time on the bike since the crash. We set it up with a trainer, a step stool with a step high enough to reach my phone, tv remote and steps for me. I rode for an hour at approx zone 2, possibly 3.

I needed help getting on and off the bike, and I don't have the upper body strength on my left side to grip the handlebars for balance yet, so I don't know that I'm ready to go on the road. I will probably try for another hour tonight, and again later in the week, as I am also starting PT. Yay, exercise!

I'll admit, it was a little nerve wracking to be on the bike again, despite the safety of the set up.
    Hang in there Chat, glad to see you here.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!