Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Rides?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Wooot! My longest ride outside since my MTB fall, and the first time I've ridden without neck pain.

It was only 18 miles, but it felt awesome. I will take it! Tomorrow is said to be warmer

Friday was the first real MTB ride of the year with DH and a couple of friends from the bike shop. I was so pleased with my riding despite the fact that a) it's early in the season for me, b) our one friend is a much stronger rider, and c) I had to be a bad@ss and ride the singlespeed

Today's ride was errand-running with DH, including a trip to the warehouse club. I do the shopping and DH pulls the trailer- it's a perfect arrangement.

None today, since day 2 is generally bad in terms of cramps, and I really need to get some studying done, since my finals start Tuesday. Tomorrow, if I can get my butt moving early enough, I'll go for a ride, probably no more than 25 miles, because I need the stress relief!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I started about 7:45 and rode to meet up with my regular group. Sunny but cool with a pretty stiff headwind riding out to Tucson's far eastern edge, including the steep hill at the end of the paved road. Tailwinds for a while, then we headed south. I opted to go to Saguaro NP and ran into a friend there. She and her buddies are faster and dropped me- but that was fine. I took a very roundabout route home, via Starbucks and 2 bike shops, looking for a new pair of gloves to replace the ones that are tearing, Sunflower market and the French bakery. In a pinch , those reusable bags can function as a backpack if you slip your arms through the straps (no rack or panniers on the Ruby).

The DH is more than halfway through his 400k randonneuring adventure as of now.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Challenging team ride with my kids today-- we chased hills and the headwinds seemed to follow us wherever we turned.

There's this one climb called "hog's hollow" any road cyclist in St. Louis has probably heard of it. Ugh, I had to stop twice and nearly fell over at the top. I'm not sure what the grade is exactly, 12-13%? I was chugging along at like 4-5 mph though. Weee!! Hills!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

The ride that wasn't

I got the Ruby down and got her ready to go. Pump the tires- the rear needed about 20psi. The front was at 20psi. Strange, looks like a slow leak maybe, so I take off the wheel and start inspecting for anything stuck in the tire. Got about 1/2 way round and WTF?? Big slice at an angle- maybe .6" long from the start of the edge of the tread almost to the bead. Cut right through some sidewall cords and the tire was bulging there. I had only put these tires on a few months ago- Hutchinson Fusion 2s. And I don't have a spare tire. I wasn't too fond of them anyway but heck they weren't that old.

Well I've been saying that my next tires are going to be Continental 4000 25c tires but I wasn't planning on getting them soon. And the closest place with them in stock is a 20 minute drive down the freeway. So my bike ride turned into a truck drive down the freeway .

Nice tires; I have the Gatorskins on my Fuji beater bike and really like them so I hope these ride as well or better.

Guess I'll ride tomorrow and find out.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

I'm getting ready for my first club ride of the season tomorrow. Pumping up the tires, finding the water bottles, checking on the bike rack, washing my bike clothes. I'm excited. This is a new club for me. They are starting a month early from my old club. I've been out for a couple of rides already but they were pretty short.
    Savra

2006 Specialized Dolce Elite/Specialized Stock Saddle
    2011 Surly LHT/Brooks S Flyer

Went with DH out for a ride down the highway. He had his Trek Navigator and I had my Fargo. We only did about 5 miles but he made it up the hill just past the airport for the first time. I'm really proud of him as it took me at least two weeks to get up it.

The Trek Navigator probably isn't the best choice bike for doing a lot of miles, but for once he's comfortable and doesn't hurt while riding it. He had a great time. The right bike really makes a difference in how you see cycling. Hopefully he'll continue to come with me.

I also discovered whole grain bread with peanut butter and honey works for energy while cycling. Forget the cardboard bars. This works so much better and doesn't make me feel sick.

I didn't even panic when a farm tractor went around us. I wish I could say thank you to all the cars and semi trucks that went around us instead of blowing us over. It's nice to know people care about safety. There should be a universal sign for "thank you".

Quote Originally Posted by tzvia View Post
    I got the Ruby down and got her ready to go. Pump the tires- the rear needed about 20psi. The front was at 20psi. Strange, looks like a slow leak maybe, so I take off the wheel and start inspecting for anything stuck in the tire. Got about 1/2 way round and WTF?? Big slice at an angle- maybe .6" long from the start of the edge of the tread almost to the bead. Cut right through some sidewall cords and the tire was bulging there. I had only put these tires on a few months ago- Hutchinson Fusion 2s. And I don't have a spare tire. I wasn't too fond of them anyway but heck they weren't that old.

Well I've been saying that my next tires are going to be Continental 4000 25c tires but I wasn't planning on getting them soon. And the closest place with them in stock is a 20 minute drive down the freeway. So my bike ride turned into a truck drive down the freeway .

Nice tires; I have the Gatorskins on my Fuji beater bike and really like them so I hope these ride as well or better.

Guess I'll ride tomorrow and find out.
    I have Conti Grand Prix 4000s and they are very nearly as tough as my old gator skins. They are great!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org

Quote Originally Posted by Reesha View Post
    I have Conti Grand Prix 4000s and they are very nearly as tough as my old gator skins. They are great!
    Really? My DH had those on for less than half a year when he had a huge sidewall issue requiring tire replacement. Wonder if we had a bad batch?
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I have heard of the sidewall issue, but I am under the impression that it's a small minority. They came highly recommended to me for my purposes.

I have had these tires for well over 1000 miles on nasty city streets. I'm crossing railroad tracks, broken pavement and even broken glass fairly regularly on them. No flats yet (fingers crossed)!

Another 16.5 miles today, and still no neck pain! It was windier today so I am pretty pleased. It is obvious that my hands and butt have to get accustomed to riding for longer than 45 minutes again (that's been my limit since my injury). I will see if my grips need tweaking a bit, but nothing has changed in my fit so I think the discomfort is likely just from not being able ride normally for so long.

Awesome riding this weekend, and I think that as I get a chance to ride more frequently that I can start pushing my mileage up to my normal range - slowly but surely.

My DH and I did one of our favorite rides--up a mountain pass, over the other side, then back up and over, for a total of 60 km for me (he went farther before turning around). Just gorgeous--a very quiet road through scrub/dessert terrain. Perfect weather in terms of temperature, but a tad windy in sections. My legs were not fresh, so my time wasn't the greatest, but it was a great Sunday ride nonetheless.

Did a tri bike ride today with 7Rider. Finally figured out how to keep up with her: have her run 8 miles before we ride
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

31.5 miles on my Kuota, newly tuned up for the season. We didn't ride anywhere special, but it's gorgeous out, about 55 degrees the whole time I rode and sunny. The southwest wind brings warm temperatures, but wind. We were riding into it for about half of the ride and it was pretty brutal. Then by the time we had a tailwind, I had to pee really badly, so we stopped at a gas station and bought some fig newtons and used the bathroom.
    I felt pretty good, although I am slow. I know that will change as the season goes on. Had one issue with my new rear cassette with the 28. I guess I will have to stop my habit of using the smallest cog when I'm in the middle ring. I know it's cross chained, but I tend to do it when I'm stopped on an incline and need to get going. It made my front automatically go to the granny gear and t felt like I had dropped the chain. I hadn't, but I had to scoot across 2 intersections, which was embarrassing.
    It felt great to get out there for a longer ride. I haven't stopped riding during the winter, but they were not longer than 20 mile rides, on my other bike.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport