Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Rides?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredwina View Post
    got out for about 20 miles on the Mohawk Hudson. Allergens punished me for doing that.
    Cohoes, NY

Turn around at Niskayuna Depot:

Ice on the Mohawk:

and on the trail:

still mid winter
    Aw I lived in Schenectady for four years... I miss the Mohawk (was a Geology student while I was there-- lots of time spent at Vischer Ferry and other lovely places around there).

I had Friday off so I got a 40 mile ride in. I rode easily out to one of the parks in St. Louis the long way (10 miles or so) and then met up with four of the kids on my cycling team. All my trainer time has really paid off-- we did 30 minutes of low-intensity riding, then 30 minutes of medium-high intensity riding and I'm SOOOOO pleased to discover that I can keep up with the 17 year old boys! In fact we dropped Mason, one of the girls on the team. This is a good thing-- I was worried that as a coach I'd be constantly getting dropped by the boys. Then I rode him real easy 7 miles or so.

I decided to wear my tri shorts for some reason-- they'd always been comfortable before, but for the first time ever I was getting saddle sore on one side. This was only about 35 miles into my riding though. It's weird-- apparently I rode a saddle that was narrower than my sit bones for 5 years and not a once got chafing or a saddle sore. I did tend to squash on my tailbone and soft tissues though. Now I'm sitting directly on my sit bones, but saddle sore! Grrr. The Arione Donna is a good saddle for crit racing, but I'm thinking it's going to have to be a Brooks for my x-country bike trip this summer.
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Nippy but sunny with a decent wind off the lake, here in Chicagoland. Got in 33 miles on Saturday, and 38 miles today. Today was my maiden ride on my new custom Ti Seven Axiom SL with Ui2 electronic shifting! It was a very smooth ride. The Ti really soaks up the road "clatter" that I was used to hearing/feeling on my full carbon Cannondale. So far, I'm loving the Ui2...just need to learn how to get a good feel for it when wearing my thicker cold-weather gloves. I can hardly wait for the warmer temps, so I can shed my thick gloves for my fingerless ones to really get comfortable with the electronic shifting.

Linda
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    Nippy but sunny with a decent wind off the lake, here in Chicagoland. Got in 33 miles on Saturday, and 38 miles today. Today was my maiden ride on my new custom Ti Seven Axiom SL with Ui2 electronic shifting! It was a very smooth ride. The Ti really soaks up the road "clatter" that I was used to hearing/feeling on my full carbon Cannondale. So far, I'm loving the Ui2...just need to learn how to get a good feel for it when wearing my thicker cold-weather gloves. I can hardly wait for the warmer temps, so I can shed my thick gloves for my fingerless ones to really get comfortable with the electronic shifting.

Linda
    Oooh! Pictures?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I didn't expect to ride today- the forecast was for very a windy day, but the morning was calmer than expected. By the time I convinced my DH to go with me the wind was rising, but we drove up to Saguaro NP and did the 8 mile loop and out to the picnic ground.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Here's yesterday's ride. No crashes this time, but plenty of climbing to make me live up to my username!

This is the South Fork American River Trail (SFART). The trailhead is right across the road from the Salmon Falls trailhead. It starts off with quite a bit of climbing on technical singletrack with tight switchbacks. Good stuff!

There's not nearly as much technical stuff as on Salmon Falls though. There's lots of smooth singletrack and doubletrack.

It ended up being almost a 24 mile round trip ride with 3,442' of climbing.

South Fork American River Trail by freighttraininguphill at Garmin Connect - Details

Here's the video. As always, this is 100% natural sound. This means plenty of heavy breathing on the climbs, so be forewarned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfHQtzifblQ

Nice switchback where I waited for some climbing cyclists before descending.

switchback on SFART by freighttraininguphill, on Flickr

Abandoned structures at the Cronan Ranch trailhead

abandoned buildings on SFART by freighttraininguphill, on Flickr

abandoned buildings on SFART 2 by freighttraininguphill, on Flickr

abandoned house on SFART by freighttraininguphill, on Flickr

I'm used to seeing "connector", like the trail near Auburn. There were several of these signs along the trail.

'connecter trail' sign on SFART by freighttraininguphill, on Flickr

View of the American River on the way back towards Salmon Falls Road

view of American River from SFART by freighttraininguphill, on Flickr

A trail that definitely lived up to its name, and made me live up to my username!

'down and up trail' sign on SFART by freighttraininguphill, on Flickr

It was abit chilly here as well, although got out for 30 miles. Temperature was 32 although the winds were blowing 30-35 MPH, needless to say, the ride back home was a bit tough. BUT, it's February and I'm not complaining, we generally are not riding outside this time of year here in Maine!!

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

I'm trying to get motivated to head out today, but rode both Saturday and Sunday on the road, for 43.5 and 40.5 miles. It was warmer on Saturday, but still nice out yesterday as well. Hoping to get out for another 40 or so today if my knee will hold up (whole other story - I took another digger while trail running yesterday, and my knee is cut, swollen and bruised - sigh).

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Decided against a road ride at the last minute, and ended up heading into the woods instead. I was totally enjoying being out in the woods, and came upon another solo MTB woman. We passed and said hello. Later, I came upon her again and we started chatting. I invited her to join me, and we ended up riding for another hour - a nice surprise! Glad I managed to drag myself out there after all - I may have just found another riding partner.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Saturday Metric Century

First Metric Century of the year here. Had a bright and sunny day at 41 in the morning and up to 60 at the end. Oh...but the wind! Up to 30 mph. Big loop through blossoming almond orchards and into the rolling foothills. Team mate estimated 47 miles of headwind. Seems about right to me.
    '08 Orbea Diva, Pistachio

Okay so not exactly a "ride, ride" but new brewery grand opening about 5 miles from the house so off we went, cold, windy and spitting snow but took the MUP along the river. Of course as our other favorite brewery was in the neighborhood, we had to go there as well Heading home is was now dark, cold and windy, came around a corner and a huge tree had fallen across the bike path so we got to do some lifting and climbing. But as always, riding in the dark with the DH is always a pleasure and the beer wasn't too bad either.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Various factors have conspired to make this weekend a no-riding weekend. Yesterday was absurdly windy. Today, I'm doing the studying (finals in two weeks! Eek!) that I didn't do yesterday. Just as well, because while the forecast said mid-to-high 40s, it feels colder than that, and my hamstrings are whining about the yoga I did last night.

Otherwise, it looks like a nice day for a ride. Cloudless blue skies, not much wind...Grump.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I didn't ride this weekend, either. Yesterday, we had wind gusts up to 50 mph, and I didn't feel that well. I took a rare rest day on the weekend and it was wonderful. Today would have been fine for riding, but I am trying to keep everything moderate, in preparation for my 5 day trip to Vermont, which will include some pretty intense x country skiing and snow shoeing. Just came back from a 4 mile hike in Estabrook Woods, where we found a new climb on the back side of the old ski slope. It's really nice out and we have snow coming, especially more up north .
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

I got a 27 mile ride in today. It was a glorious 60 degrees--in February--what a bonus! But with it came the southerly winds at 15-20 mph with 30 mph gusts. The first half was great with the wind to our backs but the return trip home was brutal. It still beats being in the trainer

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

What are you ladies riding in this winter weather? I am afraid to take my Synapse out and get salt on it, so I got my 1989 Trek Antelope fixed up. It is slow going and the cold air is hard on my lungs. Work is a long commute and by the time I get home it is getting dark. so I usually only go on the weekends.
    Don't cross the river if you can swim the tide...

2011-Cannondale Synapse Alloy5 WSD with 105 and BB30!

It was rodeo weekend in Tucson so I had a 4 day weekend- absolutely gorgeous weather all weekend. I rode Weds after work, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday- for a total of 176 miles!

Wednesday afternoon- rode the 8 mile loop at Saguaro National Park.

Thursday, I did 28 miles up to Sabino Canyon and the foothills.

Friday, I rode with my husband (and a couple friends part of the way) up to Pistol Hill and down to Marsh Station road, east of Tucson. We made it a metric century.

Saturday- did a group right to Oracle Junction- 53 miles

Today- meant to be a recovery ride but I got a little more energetic and rode 23 back out to Saguaro National Park.

Just a mile below the entrance to Saguaro NP, I passed the house where the Kenda Five Hour Energy team is staying for training camp, and saw most of them pull out just ahead of me. Two of the guys passed me a few minutes later. I asked them where they were going, and it was out to Marsh Station Road, the same place I rode on Friday.

I'm not very fast, but I passed 1000 miles for the year today!
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143