Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekend Rides?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was going to do a 50-miler today, but woke up and really did not feel like riding. So I'm doing it tomorrow and used today to do errands and clean. I also should have been using it to study, but...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I did a race this morning. I didn't come in last place! I'm going to wait until pics surface to post my race report though
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Had a great ride up a pretty canyon nearby. Moderate climbs, nothing all that steep, just 8 miles or so of going up then a fun run back down. Ran errands in town on the bike afterwards, for a total of about 32 miles. Nice way to spend a Saturday morning!
    Road bike: Specialized Ruby Comp (2011)
    Commuter: Salsa Vaya (2012)

I did a 'quick' 50 miles. I left close to six am to get out and back before it got really hot.

It was lovely to be out when the Riverfront Trail along the Mississippi was so quiet. I did have some issues on the ride though-- my handlebar tape is coming off on the right after about 1500 miles. That was annoying! My right foot has also been a little hot spotty. Not blistery, just hot and uncomfortable right where the pedal is. This tends to start by Mile 20. I thought it might be me tightening my shoes too much but that doesn't seem to do much. It's not unbearable... I'll have to test the same on a longer ride. Hopefully I'll have it sorted by the time I arrive in Seattle for the start of the Big Ride.

Some pics from this morning!

Empty, early Chain of Rocks Bridge (Old Route 66 bridge)

My new Sprintech Bar End Mirror! We are required to have a mirror on the big ride, I figured I'd get used to this one. It was $30 bucks at LBS and other than the biggest bumps this fully adjustable mirror stays put. I had to readjust it a few times when I accidentally knocked it out of wack with my hand and after some rail road tracks, but it's great!

Native MO plants at the Columbia Bottoms Conservation area
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

I rode to get my hair cut today. My stylist had to leave the country for a family emergency, so they got me in with someone else today. I've ridden there before, but I had a kind of strange reaction from a couple of the other clients and the woman who cut my hair...
    It's only about 8 miles, but I have to climb a good hill about 4 miles into the ride and it is hot and a bit humid, as well. I was quite sweaty when I arrived and I sat down next to some other woman who looked horrified that a sweaty woman was sitting next to her. Then the stylist asked me about my riding and launched into a diatribe about how dangerous it was, how she rides opposite the traffic, so she can see what to do, and how she almost got killed on the Minuteman Rail Trail, by people going too fast. I tried to be nice, but it really got to me. Thankfully, she cut my hair quickly and I was on my way home. I decided to take the shortest route possible, as when I was riding there, I saw there was a charity ride going in the opposite direction and usually, when I take the longer way home, it takes me through Concord center, where they were heading. I didn't want to mess with that. I did see my cycling friend (in her car), who stopped to talk to me, as I was starting a little climb over the highway that's generally annoying!
    I rode about 90 miles in 3 days, which is a lot for me.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Awesome pictures Reesha!

I wanted to mtb this afternoon, but my quads are a little toasty (not bad) so they get to rest today. Couldn't figure out why...until I tottled over to ridewithgps.com and looked at my weekly totals:

First of all, in April I rode an entire 61 miles, while so far in May I've logged 166 miles and 79 of those have been since Monday. 50 miles between Friday and Saturday.

Knowing me it would have been more than that if I hadn't tweaked my sartorius the week before at the gym - so it is probably good that happened. I AM, however, a little proud of myself that I am actually taking a rest day and listening to my legs. It is also a little embarrassing that it's taken me this long - and that much pain - to learn my lesson Moderation just doesn't come easily to me, but I have GOT to build my base properly this year - I can't afford more over-use injuries!

54 miles this morning--my longest ride yet. I was planning to get out at sunrise (6:15ish) but no, I got out 45 minutes later. I actually remembered to eat properly, so I'm not ravenous, but still hungry. My quads aren't complaining too much, so I guess I'm okay for right now.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Way to go Owlie!

Yesterday did 42 with my group, a slow climb on the last 6 miles before the turnaround. My husband was pushing himself doing mini individual time trials , so I saw him sporadically and he tired himself out.

So I did 20 miles with some climbing up to Molino Basin on Mt Lemmon on my own.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    58 km. today with 2/3 trip was to and from a farmers' market, then unload stuff before continuing on to a different bike store where it was our lst visit there. Then to another grocery store before getting back home.

It started off at 10 degrees C climbed to 20 degrees C temperatures. Bright sunny with some cloud. Quiet here. Guess alot of folks went out to Banff, Rockies elsewhere. Perfect for cycling.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

My group decided to do our own metric century ride on Sat. One of our riders had done one on a Tour de Cure training ride the weekend before, and we were jealous. We had 8 riders, which is a lot for us, and took off on a new route to a little town called Spring Hope. It was a there and back ride of 32 miles each way.

The highlight was brunch at the Country Inn (food is very important to us!), a little restaurant with the most southern menu I have ever seen: fried chicken livers, gizzards, frog legs, barbeque, of course! They had normal stuff too, fortunately. They were also the most accommodating by letting us bring our bikes inside and giving us our own room in the back (maybe that was just to get us out of sight?!).

The only down side was this route had more loose dogs than I have ever seen. We had three separate incidents where they actually came out in the road after us- with owners right there twice. They did get the dogs back, but it would have been nice if they hadn't let the dogs chase us in the first place. Squirted gatorade and blasts of air horns worked to deter one dog, but two stayed in the road barking at us until the owners came and got them. I will not do this route again because of them.

It was very windy, but the temperature couldn't have been any better. The last 15 miles were rough. 64 miles was really longer than I was ready for, but we made it and have lots of riding stories to tell.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Talking

That is one cool bike mirror!!! I didn't ride much this weekend. Just 2.5 miles with my boyfriend. He just bought a bike last week and hasn't been out much so we just took a twirl or two around the block. You girls have really been doing some riding!
    2013: Riding a Dolce sport compact for fun and a vintage Jetter with cargo rack for commuting

www.bike-sby.org: A network of concerned cyclists working to make our city more bicycle friendly.

25 more miles this afternoon - as stoker on a tandem for the very first time TOMORROW will be a rest day This means I've ridden 105 miles since Monday - not my norm but I will take it!
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-20-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Neat pics Reesha! I did the Cannon Valley Trail on Saturday starting and ending from mom's house in Red Wing, which gave me 43 miles total. I don't ride trails much, but that one is my fave and I had to be in RW for family stuff. The trail follows along the Cannon River as it winds it's way to the Mississippi and is just gorgeous. I started early, because it was going to be stinky hot and windy, and avoided the worst of the heat and wind until later in the ride - once off the trail it was blowing so hard it almost knocked me over. And the heat.... well, it made that last steep climb up the bluff to mom's house a dizzying experience and I had to stop at the top and allow my heart to come back to normal.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

DH and i did the Zoo-de Mack. 50 mile ride on Sat. We also rode quite a bit around Mackinac Island with the dogs in their trailers. they loved it and so did we!!!!

I did the Zoo-de-Mack with my clipless pedals. Yay!!! First time I really used them at all and I was scared but, it was all for nothing. they really are not that bad--I love them now! I forgot to take my camera or I would post some photos but, it was a great weekend.
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

I did my first triathlon on Sunday!! Iron Girl - Lake Lanier, GA.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."