Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Loose cats have a history of defecating in people's gardens and little kids' sandboxes, too.
    ...and stalking neighbor's bird feeders and getting hit by cars to die on the side of the road and attached by fox/coyotes/loose dogs.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I don't think you hurt her.
    You helped her.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

What is it with people?

I've heard such things as
    "it's in their nature to roam and hunt"

(and stalk my birds, crap in my yard, etc)

The stats on song bird loss due to domestic cat hunting are significant.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    The stats on song bird loss due to domestic cat hunting are significant.
    Isn't it Aus or NZ where it's illegal to allow pet cats outdoors, because of out-of-control breeding and decimation of endangered bird population...?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Poor little thing! I wonder how she first got herself stuck.
    You did the very best you could, so don't feel bad.

I use to have lots of birds in my back yard, but last year 2 cats started showing up and now the birds stay away.
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

I'm sorry you had to go through that...poor kitty.

I will say that there are very good reasons that people let cats outdoors in rural areas including the expectation that they will chase the birds from eating the seeds we've planted and the berries and grapes that we grow. Without cats, we'd have a huge rodent problem in and around our property, our out-buildings (where we store feed) and our home. Our cat has a job to do and locking him in our house would not allow him to do it. That said, certain precautions should be taken with outdoor cats and not doing so is very irresponsible. Even though farm cats spend most, if not all, of their time outside, they should still be cared for like the family members that they are and I know a lot of rural residents don't bother. THAT annoys me.

I can't speak for urban or suburban areas.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Yeah, I think the farm setting is the exception to the rule. But the vast majority of cat owners don't live on farms and they are the ones responsible for the overpopulation.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Anyone who lets an un-fixed cat roam freely is totally irresponsible whether they live on a farm or not. There is absolutely no excuse for that at all.

Cats that get eaten by coyotes is a fact of life out here. Cats that reproduce willy-nilly should NOT be.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Anyone who lets an un-fixed cat roam freely is totally irresponsible whether they live on a farm or not. There is absolutely no excuse for that at all.

Cats that get eaten by coyotes is a fact of life out here. Cats that reproduce willy-nilly should NOT be.
    +1 meeeeellion!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I also agree that typically a cat should be inside, but there are situations such as a working farm that there are going to be outside cats. To me as long as they are being properly cared for although ideal it is an ok situation. Another one is the feral cats, esp a colony with a caretaker who is feeding them and getting them fixed and getting them to the vet in case of medical issues.

I am so sorry that happened to you. And to the kitty. I hope your tests turn out ok. It just brought tears to my eyes.

Yes, I don't know wth is wrong with people either. I think life is always funny when it's happening to 'someone else'. Makes me so mad.

With the permanent damage I suffered from my bike-loose-dog-crash all the a** guy could say say was, "uh well, I live out here in the country, why would I need to keep my dog tied up?". Besides all the permanent damage I know now I have I wanted to say, "ya, take a look at my FACE for starters, you f*** head (as half my face was ripped off bleeding talking to him)". Wish there was "an eye for eye" instantly in the world sometimes.

We had a stray I saved from straving to death that someone threw out that I loved. I fed her and nursed her back to health. DH is allergic to cats so we couldn't officially keep her. We had concluded we would try to keep her in the garage somehow. But then she got pregnant (which I didn't realize at the time), and birthed her 1st baby breach. I was hystrerical crying as she was dieing, panting in distress, when I randomly found her at the porch to eat, with the dead kitten half out of her. I called the vet/shelter for help. But in the end they put her down when they came out. I should have probably taken her before to the shelter. But I knew they would kill her within a few days, being an adult cat. I would have never thought her fate would end like that either.

I wonder if the people who throw these animals out have any type of conscious? I would love to have more pets. But the one dog I own is all I can afford to take care of properly. The vet has to eat also I understand. But their services are not cheap!

I think you did the best you could for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    But the one dog I own is all I can afford to take care of properly. The vet has to eat also I understand. But their services are not cheap!
    You hit the nail on the head. People take in more animals than then can afford...they don't have them fixed, then they let them outside and they breed indiscriminately. And people like you and me end up doing the right thing and doing their dirty work. And the animals are the ones to suffer. It makes me livid. And when these people lose a pet (because you or I take the pet in or take it to the shelter) they just go out and get another pet and start the cycle over. They sleep at night and we got to bed crying and mourning for animals that we never got to properly love, but still had to say goodbye to. It sucks and it's really not fair.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

zoom-zoom, while your story is horrible, the #1 reason for cats to not be outside is CARS.

I am so sorry you have to go through this. I didn't realize that still, today the way they test for rabies is death... ugh..
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

In some places cats outside their home or yard area can be considered "at large" and in this community there is a misdemeanor charge for that and a $500 fine!

Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by beccaB View Post
    In some places cats outside their home or yard area can be considered "at large" and in this community there is a misdemeanor charge for that and a $500 fine!
    I really wish that were an across the board fine. Since so many care more about their money than their cats they might keep them safely indoors to avoid a hit to their wallet.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3