Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Anyone riding a Specialized Vita Sport?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have decided to bike the last 9 miles of my daily 35 mile commute. This will put me on a state highway with fairly good gravel shoulders. I already have three bikes (Specialized Ruby Comp, Giant FCR 1 and a Trek 4500 MTB). None seem right for the job. The FCR 1 has 650 wheels so I am unable to get wide tires for it and the MTB and I are not in love <G>. After visiting my favorite LBS I am lusting after a Vita Sport. The reviews look great, but I am looking for feedback from someone who is actually using it for commuting and who has ridden it on gravel. I will be able to ride on the blacktop for most of my commute, however due to traffic want to be able to easily and quickly move to the gravel shoulder. The commute will be fairly flat with a couple of hills, though I have been told the road can become a wind tunnel of sorts.

Not sure that will solve your desire for a wider tire and stability on gravel. I see they have a 700 x 28, is that much different from your 650B's Also confirm that fender's will fit. If you have a chance, go ride a Surly LHT to compare the ride and comfort. Of course, I will totally confess to being a steel is real rider who loves the comfort of a steel bike.
    Good luck in your search!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

More info on the Vita question.....

My FCR 1 wears 650cc/23 tires and if it were not for wanting to be able to jump off the pavement quickly this would be my bike of choice. The Vita Sport comes with 700cc/32 tires. I really liked the handling of the Vita Elite, but it only takes the 700/28 tires and is otherwise very much like my FCR 1. The shop only has the Elite in stock so I would need to order the Sport. Our local bike shops carry Trek, Giant, Specialized and Jamis, but will do some internet searching on your suggestion. Thanks for your reply.

More info on the Vita Sport

My FCR 1 has 650cc/23 tires and the 2012 Vita Sport takes 700cc/32. The Specialized Vita Elite takes 700cc/28 tires and feels / handles like my FCR 1. Local shops have Trek, Giant, Specialized and Jamis. The Sport take both a rack and fenders so that should not be a problem.

Deanywalker21

2005 Giant FCR 1
    2007 Trek 4500
    2009 Specialized Ruby Comp

I ride a Vita Elite, very occasionally over a gravel path. Mine has race fenders mounted. I think it can take a range of tyre widths but cannot remember where I read that. I will say that it is bumpy over gravel.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

You might want to look at the Specialized Ariel. The tire is a 700 a bit wider but not as much as a mtn bike. The tire is also smooth in the middle so it rides well on flat & rougher roads.
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

You should be able to put a fairly wide tire into the Vita. 38mm? Perhaps ask your shop to see how large a tire will go on. I think with a wide aftermarket tire the Vita could be a nice option for your ride.

Smile Got my bike today - Vita Elite

Thanks everyone for you suggestions. I went in to order my Vita Sport and left with a Vita Elite. Much to my suprise and pleasure they had my size in stock and were able to swap out the 28 tires for 38. For the extra $$ the Elite is a much nicer bike and can handle the wider tires, a rack and fenders so I took plunge. Planning on taking it for a spin around the neighborhood tomorrow. Will start taking "supplies" into work on Monday as I was able to clean out two file drawers in my office to use for clothes and grooming supplies.

oh lovely! How are you getting on?

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    How is your new ride working out for you? New bikes are just about the BEST thing in the whole world!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Smile awesome bike

The Vita Elite is awesome....it sort of just rolls by itself....and feels so stable on those wide tires <g>. It is also a very sharp looking bike. With the increasing cost of gas I am not at all feeling guilty about spending the $$. I can see my FCR 1 loosing its place as my favorite bike. I have been busy getting the Vita set up for the commute and exploring alternative routes (by car). I should be able to get between 20 and 25 of commute riding in each day, depending on which roads I take. Wisconsin weather has been mild but I do not expect to try the commute till after daylight savings time change....not that I am not itching to try it.

I think you made a great choice
    I love riding my vita elite. I live too far from where I work to commute, but I can image it would be a great commuiting bike.

Excellent! I love mine too, she even gets picked over the workhorse hybrid on rainy days now. It's such a lovely bike.

You can't tell us how cool it is and then NOT give pictures.

Smile The Vita must have wings

This Vita is such a joy. It climbs like it has the wings of an angel, the shifting is so smooth and quiet. I have been riding it around my neighborhood building up my bike legs. Reality is riding a spin bike to videos is not the same as riding real hills <G>. Tonight I took my FCR and Trek each out for a spin. The Vita puts them to shame. My new slogan is going to be "A girl can never have too many bikes". The temps hit 70 in Wisconsin today and I am loving it. I have a kayak hanging in the garage that might just find its way into the river this weekend. Since I do not have a picture of the Vita to post here is a link to one just like mine <g>.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec030147
    Deany

"A girl can never have too many bicycles"

2008 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2012 Specialized Vita Elite
    2013 Specialized Myka Elite