Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Looking at self in mirror & forgetting as one ages?

To disable ads, please log-in.

A narcissistic question

Maybe it's semi-denial of not wanting to examine too closely the effects of aging:

But honest, in the past decade I spend less and less time, looking at myself in the mirror. One of the reasons is probably because I rarely wear any make-up anymore. Yup, I don' wear make-up at work. I work with women and men equally daily.

Whereas 20 years ago I took way more care in my clothing and wearing some make-up several times per month. But then, I worked in more formal biz attire organizations.

Is it something to do with age or is it me?

As a result, then I suddenly notice...oops, oh another white hair strand or 2.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 02-11-2012 at 05:25 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I don't really see myself in the mirror either.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I still look at myself in the mirror a lot b/c I have to put on sunscreen daily living where I do. I wear makeup only on the rare occasions when we go out in the evening, and much less than I wore when I was younger. It's just not appropriate living in the tropics.

My problem with mirrors is that when I look now I am astonished to see this 50-year old looking back at me. I still feel a lot younger and sometimes my reflection catches me by surprise!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Unfortunately I find myself looking in the lighted, magnified, make-up mirror everyday. I have dark, stray hairs showing up everywhere!

I still see a young me in the mirror, however photographs can really shock me!

Smitty
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    My problem with mirrors is that when I look now I am astonished to see this 50-year old looking back at me. I still feel a lot younger and sometimes my reflection catches me by surprise!
    Yep, that sounds very familiar.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think when it takes me by surprise the most is catching my reflection out in public. Like a store front window, or randomly placed mirror.

It seems that lighting in the store is also the worst. The natural light in my little car vanity mirror is a bit softer to look at.

edit add: I think on the make-up our skin is different. What works before doesn't so well now. Meaning, powders and dramatic colors just seem to draw attention to the lines. I still wear make-up. Just creamier, softer, more natural matching palettes.
    Last edited by Miranda; 02-11-2012 at 05:13 PM.

The bathroom at my job has the most horrible mirrors - lighting is awful and you can see every flaw. I can't help but look up at my reflection when I'm washing my hands and then, when I catch sight of myself, I'm always sorry I looked up!

I can't really see fine detail unless the light is just right. It's nice to be ignorant of gray hairs and acne scars but a little annoying when I want to pluck my eyebrows (one of them is almost impossible to see individual hairs) or if I have to wear makeup (rare). So I don't pay much attention to my face in the mirror. I do usually check how my clothes look and double-check my cowlick if my hair is pulled up or back.

The only thing about my appearance that really surprises me is how big my hair can get if I run with it down We took a group photo after the run this morning - YIKES! Now I remember why I prefer it shorter!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    The only thing about my appearance that really surprises me is how big my hair can get if I run with it down We took a group photo after the run this morning - YIKES! Now I remember why I prefer it shorter!
    Running cap.

My short, curly hair gets HUGE if I run without a cap. I wear Halo sweatband under it as well since I sweat a LOT on my face.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

My hair quit being so frizzy when I switched to washing it with baking soda & vinegar, and only every few days.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
    I think when it takes me by surprise the most is catching my reflection out in public. Like a store front window, or randomly placed mirror.
    Oh boy, this is true for me too. My bathroom lighting is flattering, so when I go out and catch my reflection .

Does anyone remember the tv show Soap? Katherine Helmond played Jessica Tate, the older woman with the red hair - I always remember a scene where she was explaining the importance of, as you age, keeping your head leaning back. She explained that, because your shin was getting loose, if you leaned forward, all your skin would fall forward and you would look old and wrinkly; but, if you leaned back, all you skin would fall back and the wrinkles would flatten out & you would look younger.
    As she was explaining this, she held her head almost upside down over the man she was talking to, then flipped around so her head was almost laying in his lap looking up at him, and said See? I look younger!
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~ James E.Starrs

My bicycle jewelry...
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Winterwoman...f=pr_shop_more

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Running cap.

My short, curly hair gets HUGE if I run without a cap. I wear Halo sweatband under it as well since I sweat a LOT on my face.
    I think a ponytail holder would probably be a better solution for me
    Last edited by jessmarimba; 02-12-2012 at 07:15 AM.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    One thing for certain, I can't spend much time at all beyond brushing my teeth, brushing my hair, apply moisturizer or sun block (sometimes I can't seem to get my sequence right) before jumping onto the bike.

I take a shower after work. I don't take a shower before I leave home for work.

That's when if I get around to it, might look at myself more closely. (Usually though I want to prepare supper, talk to my partner or do something on the computer afterwards.) Early morning is just too rushed in pulling all my stuff/act together to get out the door, onto bike for work.

Yes despite moisturizer, makeup can accentuate creases, etc. Oh well, at least I'm not having a heart attack at my age ...yet.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 02-12-2012 at 07:31 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I think the dressing room mirrors in department stores are rigged to make me depressed so I'll utilize retail therapy to recover. I shouldn't have any muffin top at all as hard as I work out. Either that or all the pants are made wrong. Also the silver hairs and facial wrinkles are surprising. But I have to say I wouldn't trade the wisdom that comes with them for anything in the world.

Not all who wander are lost

Heh - talk about a mirror shock. I do see myself every morning, and then I really rarely look most of the day until I'm getting ready for bed. I think that's mostly because as my eyesight degrades, I can't really see details anyway so I don't bother with any more than a glance to make sure my hair is reasonably in place or that I haven't tucked my skirt into my tights....

Two days ago, I got my new glasses. Holy cow, I'm amazed at how much I was missing! Not just in the mirror, but everywhere. Anyway, now a glance in the mirror shows way more wrinkles and flaws. Ouch! At least I look cute in my glasses, so I can focus on that and not all the flaws that were so softly muted by my failing eyesight!

Hmmm, maybe that's intentional? Mother nature takes away our ability to see clearly at the same time that she starts aging us so that we don't get too worked up over it?
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom