Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cleaning Routine

To disable ads, please log-in.

Would like to know how you clean your bikes. I'm wondering if the wash and lube method is sufficient I've been reading up online and there are so many views on this!

I use a bucket of warm water and dish soap and a brush (meant for cleaning cars). An old toothbrush for tricky areas. I remove the wheels if I want to clean very throughoutly and wash them seperately. It's also easier to clean the jockey wheels this way because the chain is loose.
    Then I dry with old towels, polish the frame with a little bike oil and lube everything.
    I wipe and lube the chain regularly with an old cloth.

On my mountainbike I clean the discs with degreaser too.

After almost every ride, unless it's 20 miles or less and not sloppy, I very lightly on a low nozzle and water flow setting hose my bike off. Wipe dry and apply lube. Some would say this is a no-no, but I have done this for years on all my bikes and they are all going strong (even the LBS guys comment on what great condition they are in). Sometimes I get ambitious and degrease the chain and cassettes, but not often. I take them to the LBS 1x in the offseason for a thorough cleaning and tuning.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

because I often ride on roads with quite a bit of debris I routinely wipe off and check my tires for cuts,scrapes and embedded thorns and glass after each ride. I wipe my rims and wipe off the break pads, wipe off the jockey wheels and the chain. I also wipe off inner tire, spokes and frame for surface dirt. I also lube the chain and grease the points e very 200 miles of so. That is sort of daily maintenance.

I do a big clean, about e very 750-1000 miles, including cleaning the chain and gear stack, rinsing the frame with warm soapy water, finishing with pledge and relubbing the chain.

The only other time I do anything extra is if I ride in the rain, I make sure the bike is entirely dry and wiped down.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I clean and lube the chain every 3-4 rides.

I clean the frame every couple of months. I use pink bike cleaner that I got at the LBS.

If I get caught in the rain, I dry it off as soon as I'm done.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks everyone for sharing! I heard that if possible you should refrain from degreasing the chain?

I've gotten into the habit of wiping down my tires and braking surfaces after almost every ride.

The whole bike gets a cleaning every few rides, depending on how dirty it is (it's in desperate need now!): low-pressure hosing down, spray with 409 cleaner and brush with a soft dish brush, hose off the cleaner; rag off the chain and re-lube later when dry.

After a wet ride I always redo the chain cleaning and lube, even if I don't get to cleaning the whole bike.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er