Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by soprano View Post
    It's more expensive, but if you just use it on your hands and not in the shower it'll last forever.
    It'll last forever if you use it in the shower, too, as long as you get over the obsession with suds. Real soap doesn't foam very much, but you still don't need to use very much of it. I think a gallon of Dr. Bronner's lasts us five years, and that's shower and sinkside both.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I use bag balm on my hands and gloves at night. You can get this at most equestrian tack shops. I have also used the Shea butter and that is good.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    It'll last forever if you use it in the shower, too, as long as you get over the obsession with suds. Real soap doesn't foam very much, but you still don't need to use very much of it. I think a gallon of Dr. Bronner's lasts us five years, and that's shower and sinkside both.
    I've also heard of people using it for hand-washing hand-knit wool things. It's a pity I can't find it here.
    Edit: How well does it work in hard water? We've got super-hard water here.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I've also heard of people using it for hand-washing hand-knit wool things. It's a pity I can't find it here.
    Edit: How well does it work in hard water? We've got super-hard water here.
    Your water can't possibly be any harder than mine. I have to filter out the precipitates that form when I boil water, before I can even brew tea. Again - you just have to get over the obsession some people have with suds.

I don't use it on my hair, it's a little harsh for that IMO. Just body and hands.

You can use it to wash Gore-Tex or other moisture barrier fabrics, too. NikWax Tech Wash is expensive, hard to find and smells awful. The only thing those fabrics really need is not to be washed in detergent. Any real soap will do.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Wow ladies, That is loads of great advice. I have super sensitive skin too and sensitive to most 'soaps' and 'shampoos'> Dr Bronner's has helped me a lot. when I go to drier climates (here is 60% to 90% most of the time, 100% when it rains) i get microcracks on my skin, even my regular creams and lotions stung like crazy.

One of the all over lotions I liked was Bonds Gold.. something or the other..

Shootingstar, u gonna try the gloves?

Best hand cream ever... L'Occitane Shea Hand Cream. Very moisturizing, and not greasy. My boyfriend gets dry skin on his thumbs so badly in the winter that, without this hand cream, he ends up putting A&D ointment on them and covering them with band aids for weeks at a time - this hand cream, but not others, prevents that. He can also use it during the day without feeling that it make his hands too greasy to use the computer.

It also smells lovely - he is comfortable wearing it because the scent is not excessively feminine, but I love using it too (and smelling it on him). I think it smells like expensive French baby powder, in the best possible way.

My mom & daughter & I all have that same problem. We swear by Eucerin. (Ok not really. We swear around lots of things. Rarely do we swear nearby the hand cream.)

Not the lotion in a tube, the cream in the jar.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

My daughter suffers from Eczema and dry skin year round but it gets worse during winter. Every night after I bathed her, I lather her body with Vanicream (local Walgreens) and then I put her onesies. Its like wearing a huge glove all over her body and it works wonders on her skin!! I swear by this cream since I really hate to use steroid prescribed creams on her body. I use it as well for my super dry and cracked hands in addition to the L'Occitane Ultra rich body cream which is rich in Shea butter. The cracked hands is for using dish detergents, heat and sanitizers, sigh...
    Last edited by Maye; 03-06-2012 at 07:21 PM.
    Mariela
    '12 Trek Lexa SLX

Pure extra-virgin coconut oil will do wonders for dry skin. It's a solid at room temp, melts in your hand and absorbs very quickly. Almost all grocery stores carry it these days - it's yummy in baked goods instead of butter.

To help heal the cracks add a drop of Frankincense or Geranium Essential oil to whatever you use 2-3 times per day. PM me if you'd like info on reputable brands of essential oils that do actually work - not just smell nice.

Scrappy

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I had that problem almost my whole life until I stopped using soap, and reduced the allergen load (as Oak said).
    I just wanted to +1 this - except I don't use anything. My hair hasn't seen anything other than water in 2 years. No soap, not even bathroom soap to wash my hands (studies have shown it doesn't do anything to 'clean' your hands anyway, friction and a good amount of water and you are good to go).
    I very very rarely use the purist aloe vera I can find. That's it.
    Soap is designed to dry, and removes natural body oils - so it isn't necessarily even an allergen load.
    BTW - my hair looks fine. It feels a little different, but I don't look like a grease ball.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!