Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vegan dessert recipes?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am having some people over for supper tomorrow night, and one of them has an egg and dairy allergy. I would like to make a dessert that she can eat. Does anyone have a great recipe, or a website they can recommend for searching for something to make?
    I would try to adjust a regular recipe as I have some experience with substituting coconut oil for butter and flax seed meal or banana for eggs, but so many recipes depend on whipping egg whites for fluffiness and I am not sure how to substitute for eggs for this purpose.
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Egg substitute can be tricky to use, I have a relative with this allergy and we just cook entirely different food rather than the substitutes. I make fruit crisp for him: Fruit/cinnamon/flour and topping oats/flour bit of canola oil to moisten topping- also good with some ground nuts in topping............I never use butter anymore- it is shocking (sorry Paula Dean) how good everything is with canola oil instead- equal moistness and texture for baked goods if you use honey instead of sugar (use 40% less)

Thai rice pudding (basically black rice, coconut milk, and whatever vegan sweetener you want to use). Yummmy. Here's one recipe - it calls for sugar, but for a vegan version, use something like agave nectar or rice syrup.

And +1 on the chocomole, that stuff is amazing!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    it calls for sugar, but for a vegan version, use something like agave nectar or rice syrup.
    I was quite pleased to see a vegan granulated sugar at Whole Foods recently. We try to avoid beef/pork, so I prefer not to consume regular white sugar. This subs into recipes perfectly - though I often like the taste/texture provided by agave.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

The chocamole made me think of this recipe and I had to share. Also vegan, and really, really good. I've made it multiple times and they are always a big hit...particularly the ones with a couple of salt grains on them.

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com...y-fudge-bombs/

My husband requested that I don't call them 'fudge bombs' so they are just fudge date balls in our house.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I am going to try to make a vegan tapioca pudding using trader joes vanilla hemp milk. That chocomole recipe looks amazing!
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

Chocolate Pudding:

Mix:
    3 tablespoons pure cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon Agar-Agar OR 3 tablespoons of starch (I use corn starch)
    2-3 tablespoons raw sugar

add enough water to dilute all ingredients, stir until it is a smooth paste.

Heat half a litre of coconut milk/soy milk/rice milk (I usually use milk, any substitute will do), add the paste, bring to boil. Stir about 2 minutes.

Pour into small bowls or glasses, let them cool for some hours.

(http://ausle.se/2011/12/noch-ein-schokopudding/)

(If you use Agar-Agar instead of starch, the mixture will stay liquid while it is hot!)
    Last edited by Susan; 02-03-2012 at 11:41 AM.

There is an apple crumble recipe my mother makes which is absolutely delicious! She is vegan.

Let me know if that interests you, it has oatmeal as the "crumble" part, so you're not using pastry that has eggs or milk or butter.

Quote Originally Posted by itself View Post
    I am going to try to make a vegan tapioca pudding using trader joes vanilla hemp milk.
    I've done tapioca pudding with coconut milk before, too. Might be less intrusive of a flavor.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I was going to say a fruit dessert; it could be a glazed baked pear in the oven with a cinnamon syrup on top.

or, a berry crisp (which is berries, fruit, a little flour for thickening), topping could be butter, brown sugar and pecans mixed together. I know some people substitute other things for the butter.

Here are a bunch of great desserts. Most of them pretty straightforward without "strange ingredients" (i.e., egg replacer), either

http://www.theppk.com/category/recipe/desserts/
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Quote Originally Posted by VeganBikeChick View Post
    Here are a bunch of great desserts. Most of them pretty straightforward without "strange ingredients" (i.e., egg replacer), either

http://www.theppk.com/category/recipe/desserts/
    I was totally going to do the same thing. I love the ppk.

You could always make a wacky cake. It's a basic chocolate cake with no weird ingredients, it's from the depression and is flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt, vanilla, oil, water, and vinegar. There are hundreds of recipes if you google it. Its moist and delicious and just needs some powdered sugar to top (though vegan buttercream or ganache is even better).

ETA: I just went to the PPK link since I haven't looked in a while and so many of my favorite recipes are there! The PB Blondies, Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes, the Pecan Pie, the Pear Frangipane Tart!!! I could go on.
    Last edited by Atlas; 02-03-2012 at 05:52 PM.
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

Raw cobblers are a favorite dessert of mine. Pick a fruit-- something in season if you can for max freshness.

In a food processor, process a five or six pitted dates, chopped walnuts, a few tbsp of ground flax seed and then add some agave nectar until it crumbles nicely. I also add a pinch or two of salt. Top your fruit with the crumbly topping!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

Thanks!

I knew this was the place to come for great ideas! Now the hard part is picking which one to try...
    Thanks, everyone!

Hi Syndirelah,
    Great desserts recipe link and thanks for sharing with everyone. Found many delicious recipes here and will start with avocado, chocolate, and sweet potato pudding as I love avocado and chocolate most.