Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

New rider and new bike!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone!

I got my new bike today and I'm having a little trouble. I'm a beginner who's still trying to build up confidence in riding. I got a Flying Pigeon (26") for my first bike because it's a single gear and it was quite cheap. I know you will be shocked to read that I didn't get to try the bike before buying (I don't know why it didn't occur to me at all) and now I realized the saddle's very much higher than I expected It is the correct height for me though (I measured my leg length) so I think I'm just not used to having the saddle that high.

I can't really ride my bike so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on mounting and starting off Maybe I just need to practice more?

You can adjust the height of the saddle. These are the instructions on how to do it:

Loosen the nut on the seat post bolt on the bicycle using a 13mm wrench to allow the seat post (with saddle attached) to slide into place inside the seat tube (this bolt also fixes the rear carrier rack to the frame of the bicycle). Align the nose of the saddle with the top tube of the bicycle, and make sure the height of the saddle is approximately where you need it to be to comfortably ride the bicycle. Tighten the saddle clamp in place until the saddle cannot be moved up or down with vertical pressure applied to the nose. Holding the saddle in one hand (typically your left hand), tighten the seat post bolt’s nut using a 13mm wrench. Check that the saddle is still aligned properly. Continue tightening the nut on the seat post bolt until the seat post does not rotate when pressure is applied to the side of the saddle.
    And if you don't want to do it yourself, you can always go to your local bike shop and ask them to adjust it for you (or if you have a friend that knows how to do it). You just need the wrench they recommend.

Oh I forgot to mention that the seat's already at its lowest

The flying pigeon bike only comes in one size, a 56cm. If you are the average sized woman, this bike is too big for you and no amount of adjustments is going to make it work.
    from their website:
    There is only one size and color available: the single bar PA-02 in black. This bicycle is approximately a 22" (56cm) frame size, best for those with a 32" to a 38" inseam.
    It's a really cool bike and you ought to be able to sell it if the shop won't take it back.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    The flying pigeon bike only comes in one size, a 56cm. If you are the average sized woman, this bike is too big for you and no amount of adjustments is going to make it work.
    from their website:
    There is only one size and color available: the single bar PA-02 in black. This bicycle is approximately a 22" (56cm) frame size, best for those with a 32" to a 38" inseam.
    It's a really cool bike and you ought to be able to sell it if the shop won't take it back.
    I think I'm gonna have to do that. I don't think I can bring it back to the shop (the owner gets quite nasty) so I'll trying calling up another shop nearby to see if I can do a trade. What frame would fit my inseam of 29"? I was thinking of getting the Raleigh Mini Velo 7 because it seems quite handy.

There is a woman's sized Flying Pigeon too, so maybe she got that one? It is 48cm frame, and that would fit many women.

I may be mistaken, but the "Quite cheap" comment makes me think she bought the "original" which comes in only one size.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by clarousel View Post
    Hi everyone!

I got my new bike today and I'm having a little trouble. I'm a beginner who's still trying to build up confidence in riding. I got a Flying Pigeon (26") for my first bike because it's a single gear and it was quite cheap. I know you will be shocked to read that I didn't get to try the bike before buying (I don't know why it didn't occur to me at all) and now I realized the saddle's very much higher than I expected It is the correct height for me though (I measured my leg length) so I think I'm just not used to having the saddle that high.

I can't really ride my bike so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on mounting and starting off Maybe I just need to practice more?
    Your leg length is only part of the consideration in determining saddle height. Your leg should not be straight down at the bottom of the pedal stroke when you pedal, but have a slight angle at the knee. Your seat may be set up too high. As others have mentioned, you may have bought a bike too big for you, especially if you did not buy the women's version of this bike. How tall are you and what is your inseam from crotch to ground?

As far as starting and stopping on your bike, here is a video that I have posted before that should help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5SjH...eature=related
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Hi everyone,

I bought the women's 26" bike. If you google it, it's the model with 2 straight tubes slanting down not the curved one.

I'm 1.6m tall with an inseam of 29". I'm confused as to whether it fits because I know you're not really supposed to have your feet touching the ground when you're on the saddle but as a beginner I'd prefer my saddle 1-2 inches lower than it is. Plus it really hurt my down there when I tried to get off :s

I actually posted something but I guess it didn't show up. I'm thiking of changing to the mini velo 7 (which I tried at a different store that same day) if the pigeon's too big ultimately.