Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

"Ugh" is right for today's run (and last night's).

So I am NOT an evening runner (and lately not an early morning runner, either!). Running after work for me is hard. I am normally tired (lately I'm more tired than norm I think.) BUT I made myself go out for 3 miles, just 3 little miles, no speed expectation, just 3 miles. My quads are still sore from the cold 1/2 marathon, my right more than my left. Although I did the run (slowly) I did think how will I ever fit in those speed and tempo runs if I am always just plodding along when I run after work?

Today is may day off since I work part of weekend. I thought 5 miles would be my "long run" of this week. Not much more energy today. It was a slow yet not easy run. I even altered my route some to be along the water front more...it didn't work.

I have been in this running slump for a while now. Every now and then I have a "good" run. Mostly I find myself skipping runs, not able to do any speed work or even just ramp up my speed a bit. Ugh. Not sure of the remedy. March 15 is the day I register for Pikes Peak Ascent, that is also the start of my training plan (normally using marathon distances). I need my weight down, my energy up and a good base before I start this plan...what to do? what to do?

Thanks for letting me have a place to vent!

K
    katluvr

Hey katluvr, it's ok. That half was a monster, and you're surely still recovering from it. Don't forget, you've been taking on some huge running challenges, and succeeding!

Today was back to the treadmill for 4 miles. Rain outside this time, heavier than I felt like dealing with. That's now 13 miles this week on the treadmill, out of about 19 overall. Yuck.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I was sitting on my yoga mat before class this evening, looking down at my arms and it occurred to me why I was so ... bleh .. on this morning's run.
    A needle mark in my right elbow reminded me that I gave blood yesterday at noon. I was running down a pint.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by katluvr View Post

I have been in this running slump for a while now. Every now and then I have a "good" run. Mostly I find myself skipping runs, not able to do any speed work or even just ramp up my speed a bit. Ugh. Not sure of the remedy.
    Maybe you need a break. Take a week or so off from running entirely. Do something different, something you've been wanting to do but haven't had time for. Go on a hike? Go dancing? Swim? Try Zumba? Something that will mix things up a bit, and get you moving in a different way.

When I came home from PBP, I took the entire month of September off. Put absolutely no pressure on myself to do anything I didn't want to do. I rode for pleasure 2-3 times. Ran once or twice. Did the Muddy Buddy relay with a friend. But nothing was timed, paced, etc. When October started, I felt refreshed and ready to "train" again.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

+1. You've been keeping up a pretty punishing schedule. This seems like a good time for you to take a break, too. Plenty of time before Pike's Peak. Sometimes less is more.

Speaking of ugh ... first 20-miler of this cycle, first one in a year and a half. It was hot so I took it really easy, but I'm still pretty beat up from it. Bit by bit...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thanks ya'll! Yup this weekend no long runs, just a 5k trail run planned. And I find trail runs fun & refreshing.
    20 miles, Oak...yikes! 4 miles on treadmill, also yikes!

K
    katluvr

It looks like May around here. I think I'm going to try and get a trail run in today as well. Nothing long and I don't plan to push at all. My legs are toast after Wednesdays 12miler and then yesterday I spun out for 2 hours on the trainer. And THEN DH calls me up letting me know he's going to be home unusually early and would I like to go on a road ride? That opportunity happens about twice a year, so of course I went--for a total of 3.5 hours on the bike yesterday! That is a lot for me. My normal ride time, year around, is 1-1.5 hours at a time.

Anywho . . . . . .
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    I was sitting on my yoga mat before class this evening, looking down at my arms and it occurred to me why I was so ... bleh .. on this morning's run.
    A needle mark in my right elbow reminded me that I gave blood yesterday at noon. I was running down a pint.
    ...and that's why I've pretty much stopped giving blood. They keep calling me, even though I've told them I won't be in until the first week of April, after the HM. I often don't make it through the screening anyway, due to having a healthy bp and pulse. Why don't they harass the sedentary instead?

My body has apparantly decided that 8:45/ mile is the only pace it wants to run at. That was fine for today's 4 miles, but I'm going to have to slow it down somehow for tomorrow's long run...

Very hot and sunny this morning even at 7 am. Squeaked out a 5K on the beach, but it was torturous. Absolutely drenched afterwards, but the pool sure felt good!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    kat, hang in there. I think most of us have been in the same place (with running or biking or something else). Nothin' wrong with taking a little break.

It's looking like spring here, too. In fact, this winter has felt like one very long spring to me. As a consequence, the trails are a freakin' mud (and ice) fest. Back out to the island for me this weekend since that is the only trail system that seems to drain. Hubby and I did venture on to the trails in the foothills of the mountains this week and while it wasn't the stick-to-your-shoes kind of mud, it was still incredibly demoralizing. Those trails need a couple more weeks of drying, I think. I'm sure we'll get more rain just as the drying happens.

Happy running!

Wonderful running weather this morning: sunny, brisk, bracing wind! Warm enough for capris again. Ran 5.4 miles (becoming my regular mileage for running at work).

We might get some snow or a mix this Sunday. I'm hoping the storm takes a more southerly track and misses DC-proper. Every time I watch the forecast, the damn storm changes its track!

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

The same storm is supposed to be visiting us here in KY. Current snow predictions right here are anything from a dusting to 8 inches...

But today's beautiful. Finally, I got do do a long run outside!!!! 10.3 miles; the first 8 were easy and the last 2 were tough. If those 2 miles hadn't been predominately uphill, I'm sure it would have been a lot easier. And bringing along something to eat would have helped too...

I'm not running today. There, I said it.

Yesterday's spirited ride did a great job of reviving my legs after my long run Thursday, but I still had a little bit of soreness when I went into today's very strenuous yoga class, and on top of 12 miles on the commuter to and from the farmers' market and the yoga studio, now I am just wrung. out.

Speedwork tomorrow morning. Accountability post. I'm not quite sure yet what workout, but probably one of the ones that was in this month's Running Times - some good ideas there.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by skhill View Post
    ...and that's why I've pretty much stopped giving blood. ...
    Normally, I give platelets which is not as "draining" as whole blood. But I have low platelet counts and can only give twice a year. They're scraping the bottom of the donor barrel with me, but they still need me. Consequently, and because I did some competing last year, I rarely gave whole blood. I figure tho that this was probably the only time I could give as I should be back in counts by my April 1st event.

However, I think today I'm still not back since my Wednesday donation. I did 6.6 today - my longest single run ever I think (I once did 5 & 2 during a Duathlon training day with a bike ride in the middle). I either am still feeling the effects of my donation or I have to come to the realization that I can't run or will never be in shape. I was pooped. Run/walk/run/walk/jog/shuffle. That was pretty much the sum of it.

Well, as with my skiing: it's never pretty, but I get it done!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Sometimes when it starts to feel lousy, you have to remind yourself that you are doing yourself good (building endurance, strength, mental toughness, etc.). The unpleasantness is worth it in the long run. Well, as long as you let yourself recover properly from an effort where you push it and don't end up with an injury.

I've seen you, Seven, and you are in great shape. And you are a runner. The good thing about being a runner is that success is measured in the simple act of running and not giving up. Who cares if you can never run a 6 minute mile? You just do your best and celebrate the fact that you are going longer distances, staying injury free, and improving your form.

My husband is inspiring. He's a chunky 50 year old whose been running for years. He does not look like a runner, but he's completed several marathons and half--marathons. He's slow, his form is all his own, but he keeps getting out there and enjoying it. This morning, he ran in Rock Creek Park at sunrise and enjoyed every minute.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly