Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I think they're getting the message.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...xiQ_story.html
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 02-01-2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: updated with another $250K
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Planned Parenthood in Canada does not provide breast screening services for cancer, etc.

Instead a Canadian resident with her public health care insurance card, can have free mammogram ..every few years at the hospital, etc. Frequency depends on her age, health situation. This is regardless of the woman's income level.

In fact some of the Canadian provincial health government authorities issue a massive public campaign through mail-in notices, etc. to remind women to get breast screening, etc.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Done!

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Shootingstar, that makes me curious.

Does Canada's health system not cover family planning services? Or why would there be a need for Planned Parenthood to do one and not the other?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I don't know Oak about Planned Parenthood. But my immediate thought would be for a (young) woman to get info. if she didn't want to use her family physician. Of course any adult can get that info from their doctor (I did) but using Planned Parenthood might be more quicker and accessible if it's not urgent and ...just info. not a diagnosis/examination.

I don't know the girls under the legal age how it works for physician care if she wanted to maintain her privacy...from her parents.

But for certain, here in Canada we wouldn't think of Planned Parenthood for breast screening.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 02-02-2012 at 03:57 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I think they're getting the message.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...xiQ_story.html
    That made me laugh! Also it hadn't occurred to me to donate to PP in protest against Komen...now I will! That's amazing that in a couple days donors came up with nearly the same amount that Komen would have given PP. I sort of think PP came out ahead on this one, between donations & publicity.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    That made me laugh! Also it hadn't occurred to me to donate to PP in protest against Komen...now I will! That's amazing that in a couple days donors came up with nearly the same amount that Komen would have given PP. I sort of think PP came out ahead on this one, between donations & publicity.
    I think you're right.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I wonder if they'll regret the decision - or whether they're motivated too much by politics for it to make a difference.

Komen also has been quite a bully in the past (a la Specialized) to charities using the color pink or the words "for the cure". Not a fan of their tactics, and this decision has pushed my group of girlfriends to the Avon walk in NYC this fall instead of the Komen 3 day in Philly.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    I wonder if they'll regret the decision - or whether they're motivated too much by politics for it to make a difference.

Komen also has been quite a bully in the past (a la Specialized) to charities using the color pink or the words "for the cure". Not a fan of their tactics, and this decision has pushed my group of girlfriends to the Avon walk in NYC this fall instead of the Komen 3 day in Philly.
    The phrase "too big for their britches" comes to mind. When they started worrying more about protecting "their brand" than protecting the health of women is when their ship steered off course. I'll bet this debacle brought their relevance to a close much more quickly than they ever anticipated.

Electra Townie 7D

Tell their sponsors

I just sent this message to Tubbs Snowshoes:

I just thought I'd drop you a line to tell you that I did not participate in your Mt Bachelor snowshoe race specifically because it benefited the Susan G Komen Foundation. They have long supported a bullying tactic that is highly objectionable. Their recent decision to drop their funding of breast cancer screenings at Planned Parenthood is despicable, politicizing women's health, and just confirmed my decision to not participate in the Romp to Stomp. I also will not buy Tubbs products while they continue to support the SGK Foundation.
    Last edited by SadieKate; 02-02-2012 at 07:14 AM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Just received this email from Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation/Army of Women:

Do Only Some Lives Matter?

The Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation has announced it will no longer give grants to provide breast exams and mammograms through Planned Parenthood affiliates. Komen states that this has nothing to do with the “Right to Life” but rather the fact that Planned Parenthood is being investigated. According to the New York Times the investigation is by a conservative Republican who was urged to act by anti-abortion groups. This is sad. Investigation does not mean guilt. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Pro-choice should be just that. The woman gets to choose—to choose where the money she sweated through runs and walks to raise should be spent! Pro-life should mean not just the lives of babies, but also the lives of women! This is not an either or situation.

Patrick Hurd is the CEO of Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Virginia, a recipient of a 2010 grant from Komen. He is also the husband of a breast cancer survivor who is the veteran of several Komen fundraising races. As he told the Associated Press: “Cancer doesn’t care if you’re pro-choice, anti-choice, progressive, conservative, victims of cancer could care less about people’s politics.”

Rather than putting politics into the breast cancer movement, lets rise above the political divisions and work together. Let’s redirect all the money that will be spent on investigating Planned Parenthood into funding studies looking to find the cause and prevent the disease once and for all. Let’s redirect our anger to making mammograms unnecessary because we know how to prevent the disease. To learn more about our work and become a supporter, click here.

Susan Love, MD

President

Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation

P.S. The Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation (and its Army of Women Program) is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and is not affiliated in any way with Susan G. Komen for the Cure. To learn more about our work, click here www.dslrf.org

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

I just have to say that each and every TE poster is amazing, I mean AMAZING. Look at our take action attitudes - we don't sit and *****, we immediately begin to share and brainstorm. I was a bit hesitant to do the original thread and now just spent ten minutes sharing these comments with the DH. I am going to contribute other organizations as I come across them. I am making a donation to Planned Parenthood today, in honor of my mother, who died of cancer. The Army of Women letter says it all!!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

I love that. May I post on my FB page? Is it your artwork?

Editing: Aha! The original with a request to link back to his/her page.
    http://lianamaris.tumblr.com/
    Last edited by SadieKate; 02-02-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I think that as many people who have donated to Planned Parenthood will also NOT participate in the Komen cure drives. I think they will be impacted. It is to bad for breast cancer research, but maybe it is time that a new organization steps up to take its place.