Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

My shifters suck

To disable ads, please log-in.

Title says it all. My shifters are so bad, I can't believe how bad they are.
    I have to push and push on the thing to make it change gears. I go to a different gear, and hear a bunch of rattling. I take the bike in for a tune-up, it shifts like crap. I leave the bike alone for six months, it shifts fine.

They're some kind of SRAM mountain bike, trigger shifters. Given the fact that the whole bike, a Specialized P series All Mountain bike, only costs $600 total, it may have just come with very cheap shifters.

That being said, I really don't need $300 shifters, that's unreasonable. What is a good mid-range priced shifter that shifts smoothly, and responds well?

It could be a problem with one or both derailleurs rather than the shifters.

I had lots of problems with the front derailleur on my old road bike. It constantly needed adjusting and never shifted smoothly. Eventually it broke while the LBS mechanic was adjusting it, and he felt responsible so he replaced it, but the only one they had in the shop was a better quality one so that's what he gave me. After that the bike shifted much better and only needed adjustments once or twice a year to keep things working well.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

How old are the shifters? Trigger shifters can get gunked up and stop working, or simply wear out or break. Though perhaps your rattling noises after a shift are poor gear adjustment. If you simply can't push the lever in one direction, or if you can push it far enough for a shift but it doesn't stay there, then the problem is the lever. Have your mechanic flush it with solvent overnight and see if it improves.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

I had an issue with a shifter that turned out to be a kink in the cable!
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

The whole bike is only two years old. I'm going to have to go to the LBS when taxes come in and tell them do what it takes. Go over the whole thing tire-to-tire and find out what the problem is, derailler, shifter, or cables.
    It's so bad I feel like I'm going to be stranded in the woods because my bike won't shift.

You could throw some grease in there for free and see if it improves. Gunk is a problem...
    Lookit, grasshopper....

Grease won't help remove gunk (actually, it will attract more). I second a trial of solvent. What you might could do at home if you don't want to try disassembling anything, is to hang a pan underneath the shifter and flush it with WD-40. (As always when working with solvents, wear nitrile gloves and make sure there's plenty of ventilation.) Possibly worth a try anyway.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I'm thinking cables/housing. Two years of mountain biking...makes sense this would be the issue. I would wager on the 8"-10" of housing right by the rear deraileur as the culprit.
    +1 Melalvai on the kinked cable too.
    Last edited by Seajay; 02-02-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Well, the bike is shifting fine now, but I'm going to take it in to the bike shop next weekend. I just want to upgrade the shifters and deraillers, I'll tell them throw in some new cables too.
    Then, the drivetrain will be upgraded, and I shouldn't have any more problems. *touch wood*

If you are going to replace your shifters, then they will come with new cables and housing. I would definitely ask that the LBS installs BOTH!

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
    I'm thinking cables/housing. Two years of mountain biking...makes sense this would be the issue. I would wager on the 8"-10" of housing right by the rear deraileur as the culprit.
    +1 Melalvai on the kinked cable too.
    +1 on this and the other suggestion by Melavai!

My Jamis had this very problem. I thought it was the STI shifters but it just needed new cables. Whoever had originally installed them, sucked at it. (I had picked that bike up cheap off eBay.)

So, check the cables out first. It wasn't something I noticed with my naked-eye. Let the pros have a look at it.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green