Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

1960-2009 Drop in cycling & walking rates in U.S.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Bicycling and walking levels fell 66% between 1960 and 2009, while obesity levels increased by 156%.

http://www.peoplepoweredmovement.org...rking_2012.pdf

Obviously huge effort is required in different areas of society/on different fronts to change the trend.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

This was nice to find out: Tucson has the most on-street bike lanes at 620 miles and ranks in the top three of bike lanes per square mile.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Interesting information (although not surprising that walking/biking has decreased and obesity has skyrocketed).

I was happy to see my city #50 in the top biking/walking cities, but disappointed to see us near the bottom (high end) for fatalities.

We have students who live a few houses away that are driven to school, and even more who live within a few blocks of school that are driven. Most of our students live miles away. It's a shame. When neighborhood schools went away, that took away the biking/walking ability for many, many students- meaning they have to ride the bus or get driven because it's simply not safe to bike/walk. If it could be made safer, I KNOW more students would bike/walk. It's a shame we've taken that option away from them.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    We have students who live a few houses away that are driven to school, and even more who live within a few blocks of school that are driven. Most of our students live miles away. It's a shame. When neighborhood schools went away, that took away the biking/walking ability for many, many students- meaning they have to ride the bus or get driven because it's simply not safe to bike/walk. If it could be made safer, I KNOW more students would bike/walk. It's a shame we've taken that option away from them.
    I wonder if some of it has less to do with car traffic, particularily if the neighbourhood is not that car intensive vs. fear of predators snatching/luring an innocent kid that some parents may have.

I was dismayed to hear my 10 yr. old niece (who has ice hockey and gymnastics outside of school) say in the car, "I don't like walking". That is just not good. And I know her parents wouldn't have wanted their daughter to feel that way.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I wonder what would happen if we overlaid the CDC obesity map with one constructed from this chart...(but we'd need more information than this provides).

I'm a little disappointed that Ohio is so far down, but also not all that surprised, since there are a great many communities that don't seem to have heard of sidewalks. I have to hop in the car to go to school (~1.1 miles away) even on the days I don't have classes until 8 because it's not safe to walk. On the good side, Cleveland is number 19 on the list. Since it's an older city (at least, the area I lived in) was extremely walkable. Cincinnati and Dayton aren't even on the list.

It's a self-perpetuating problem, though, in newer areas. Everyone becomes car-dependent, for one reason or another, and since everyone is car-dependent, it becomes okay for city/community planners to okay development of shopping/dining areas miles away from residential ones, which reinforces dependence on cars.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    I wonder if some of it has less to do with car traffic, particularily if the neighbourhood is not that car intensive vs. fear of predators snatching/luring an innocent kid that some parents may have.
    Probably a little bit of both. Times have changed in so many ways, haven't they? I know some friends who won't even let their kids play in the front yard- even under their supervision. There were predators when 35 years ago we were kids (a girl in my neighborhood was kidnapped, actually), but I don't think the media got a hold of it and we didn't have 24 hour news to make us feel frightened and paranoid of so many things happening to us IMHO. We didn't have news from around the nation at all times telling us all the bad things that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    I was dismayed to hear my 10 yr. old niece (who has ice hockey and gymnastics outside of school) say in the car, "I don't like walking".
    I overheard a few kids during our Bike and Walk to School event last year say "walking and riding bikes isn't cool." And there you go. These were 3rd graders. Since when is walking or biking "nerdy"? Ugh... took all I had to not say something, especially since I ride my bike to work every day (maybe if I wasn't a teacher there I would have).

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I wonder what would happen if we overlaid the CDC obesity map with one constructed from this chart...(but we'd need more information than this provides).
    That's very interesting! I would like to see this done.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    It's a self-perpetuating problem, though, in newer areas. Everyone becomes car-dependent, for one reason or another, and since everyone is car-dependent, it becomes okay for city/community planners to okay development of shopping/dining areas miles away from residential ones, which reinforces dependence on cars.
    I agree- it's a vicious cycle. When we got away from downtown areas and started the suburban sprawl, it got easier to build things further away from centers of commerce/business.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike