Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Snowshoeing in mountains

To disable ads, please log-in.

is where you can get a real workout, particularily if there's deep snow and in wilderness areas where there's not much around.

We went to the Rocky Mountains, near the ever popular Lake Louise area.

I always forget how much energy is required to snowshoe in the wilderness mountain areas.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 01-20-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Wow, that is beautiful! I would LOVE to snowshoe in the mountains one day. Unfortunately, we have no mountains near us . . . just sand dunes and lake-effect snow. That can be a good workout too. DH and mine first date was Snow shoeing. And come to think of it, what a weird coincidence, today is the 9-year anniversary of our first date and we are going snowshoeing tonight! Here's a photo from when we went last year. No sand dunes in the picture, but we just had a big snowfall and I was breaking trail. So. much. work.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

. . . and hopefully I don't badly sprain my ankle and end the night with a trip to the ER--which is what happened 9 years ago tonight
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Jealous.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Not enough snow this year! Usually go a lot and straight up the hills but not too much this year

Funny this should appear in the forum today, as I'm heading out to do a small (2100 ft) tomorrow. It definitely will get you in GREAT shape for cycling, and whatever else you choose to do.

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

Funny, snowshoeing for pleasure has never caught on here. People buy snowshoes strictly for practical uses, fetching water or wood at a chalet in the mountains, hunters and ice-climbers will use them because theyære nimble in the woods, snowboarders will use them to get up a mountainside because they're easier to carry down than skis. But I don't think I've ever met a Norwegian just snowshoeing for the fun of it instead of skiing.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Funny, snowshoeing for pleasure has never caught on here. People buy snowshoes strictly for practical uses, fetching water or wood at a chalet in the mountains, hunters and ice-climbers will use them because theyære nimble in the woods, snowboarders will use them to get up a mountainside because they're easier to carry down than skis. But I don't think I've ever met a Norwegian just snowshoeing for the fun of it instead of skiing.
    Interesting. Sounds like alot of Norwegians are like some Europeans might treat cycling --utilitarian, nothing special. I don't know about other parts of the U.S. but at least I noticed that 12 years ago, snowshoeing in British Columbia wasn't as popular back then. This is based on information we would try to find on trails, way more limited range of snowshoe models to buy, etc.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Just came back from my first snowshoe of the year. Since I didn't leave until about 3:50, I didn't have time to do the whole neighborhood/local conservation trail, which is about 4 miles door to door. I wasn't quite sure when it actually gets dark. So, I walked down the street and accessed the trail, walked to the junction of the main trail, turned around, and then back, up a trail which is a very steep climb, at least 10- 20% grade. There is one point when you get to the top of the climb where if you turn around and look down the slope, you feel like you are deep in the woods in Vermont, because you haven't gone quite far enough to see where the trail takes you back out to the street.
    I love living where I can do this, particularly just after a fresh snow. I wasn't the first one out there, though, because there were both x country ski and snow shoe tracks on part of the trail.
    I think I must have gone about 2.5 miles.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport