Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nut Butter Comparison

To disable ads, please log-in.

My diet is pretty good, but have been working to clean it up more.

I LOVE good peanut butter. Trader Joe's has a wonderful peanut butter that is made from unblanched peanuts and has only two ingredients: peanuts and salt. Nothing else. No added oils (hydrogenated or otherwise), no added sugar. Simple and yummy!

I've a few friends who have encouraged me to try out almond butter, as apparently the oil from almonds is better than from peanuts. I have tried it, but I just can't get over the taste. I like roasted almonds themselves, but dislike almond extract and, apparently almond nut butter.

I've also checked out sunflower seed butter. I like this fine, but they do add sugar to it and that isn't really a good thing for me. I will finish the jay I have but won't be replace it - and peanut butter appears to have more potassium anyway.

Any other nut butters that might be better for me than peanut butter? I KNOW almond butter is better for me, or so they say, but I just can't get past that taste {shiver}

I've never been a big fan of peanut butter, so I may not be the best person to answer this!

Personally, I love almond butter. I don't really like sunflower seed butter, but I've never tried the version with sugar in it. You can get it sugar free, but it's more expensive that way (go figure!).

Another option for you might be hazelnut butter. JUST hazelnuts, no cocoa or sugar in it like the addictive Nutella! The plain hazelnut butter is really good with my sugar free 'jam', so I'm betting it would be delicious with jelly on bread or toast (a combo I have not tried). Hazelnuts are very good for you...better than almonds, actually as they have a better omega 3 to omega 6 ratio.

What I wonder is why you don't see pecan butter anywhere? I love pecans because they have a slightly sweet taste naturally. If they weren't so damn expensive, I might consider trying to make my own pecan butter to see if it works.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Cashew butter is my downfall. It's soooo good!

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    I
    Another option for you might be hazelnut butter.
    I made my own hazelnut butter recently. I dry-roasted the hazelnuts in the oven, then used the grinder attachment on my KitchenAid mixture to grind the nuts. I put the nuts through twice, as the first grind was a little crumbly for my taste. Then I added a little salt, and called it good. GREAT, actually! Sooooo yummy. ... But then, I never met a nut butter I didn't like.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

I am allergic to peanuts, but not the kind of allergy where I will die if someone else in the room is eating them.
    My solution has been soy nut butter, but only one brand meets my taste requirements: Nut-Free, made by Simple Foods in Amesbury, MA. It's organic and comes in a few types, i.e. no salt, sea salted, etc. This stuff has saved my life on rides, because when we are in places where we have to bring food and everyone else was bringing pbj, I had few options.
    I tried other brands of soy nut butter, from Trader Joe's and they were awful and I never warmed to the taste of almond butter.
    Last edited by Crankin; 01-20-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

You know what I think? There's no One Magic Food that is going to make everyone healthy and happy.

If you like peanut butter, eat peanut butter. If you think you eat too much of it, eat less (or revise your idea of what's too much ). Or just snack on whole roasted or boiled peanuts, which at least has the potential to slow down your intake.

I never met a nut I didn't like (except maybe black walnuts), so thank goodness I don't have that kind of allergy!

- PS - do you just not like unsweetened sunflower butter? There are several brands that don't use sweeteners. Including Maranatha and Sunbutter's organic version, either of which ought to be widely available.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 01-20-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    . . . like the addictive Nutella!
    Oh, mama. Give me Nutella.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

The sunflower butter is fine, I just see that PB has a few more nutrients than sunflower seed butter does. I know there isn't a "magic food", I've just been experimenting to see if there is a nut butter that is both better for me than PB and I like the taste.

Just curious, and I don't see anything wrong with the PB that Trader Joe's sells, as long as it is simply dry, roasted nuts and salt I will take it I've improved at not eating too much of it

Did you try the raw, unsalted, creamy almond butter from Trader Joe's? Not all Almond butter tastes the same but the Trader Joe's one is a favorite of mine!

That's a really good point. If the fatty acid profiles are what you're looking for, then roasted nut butters aren't the way to go anyway - the heat is probably going to have oxidized a lot of the fats. I'm not aware of any raw peanut butter - I could guess at several reasons for that but I'd only be guessing. Raw almond butter is pretty easy to find, as is raw tahini - other raw nut butters you have to go farther afield, I think.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by jyyanks View Post
    Did you try the raw, unsalted, creamy almond butter from Trader Joe's? Not all Almond butter tastes the same but the Trader Joe's one is a favorite of mine!
    Yes, I just don't care for the taste. It makes my tongue curl...I've tried multiple times to adjust to it since I know it is better for us but...

Better for us . . . blah . . . blah . . . blah

I know what you mean about the peanut butter. I love it and worry I eat too much of it. But I have paired my diet so far back--PB is the one thing I have left in that I feel like is a total and complete indulgence. I look forward to it everyday and it makes it possible to say "no" to a host of temptations. It's staying.

That's my 2 cents.

But, if you want to have some fun in the kitchen, why not experiment with making your own nut butters? Buy a variety of nuts on bulk, pop em in the food processor and see what you think.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    I know what you mean about the peanut butter. I love it and worry I eat too much of it. But I have paired my diet so far back--PB is the one thing I have left in that I feel like is a total and complete indulgence. I look forward to it everyday and it makes it possible to say "no" to a host of temptations. It's staying.
    Agreed

hmmm, I've a food processor that I've never used

Catrin, I'm with you, I love peanut butter, tried almond butter - not a fan, to me it seems like its lacking something, love almonds. I love all kinds of peanut butter.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100