Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

OT Variegated Yarn and Scarves

I'm fairly knew to knitting but found a pretty easy scarf that needs lace style yarn or something very fine.

I have a skein of On..something "supersocke 100" variegated blue (bought it intending to do socks) at a fancy store and wondered if I could use it. My concern is keeping the blue colors from starting/stopping in the middle. I really need a solid color so the lace pattern isn't lost, but this is all I have until I order something or make a trip into Lincoln.

I've seen scarves that blend in from one color to the other that are stunning and wondered how it was done.

I'll never learn to do socks at this point in time. If it's not truly usable I'm willing to send the skein to a better home.

Varigated yarn can be fun to do things with- scarves almost always seem to end up looking good. Since you have the yarn, why not make the scarf and use it to learn the lace pattern. If it turns out pleasing to you, then you'll have a delicious scarf. If you don't like it, donate it to your local womens shelter. What have you got to lose except learning a bit about varigated yarns and a new lace pattern?

marni- who misses knitting socks since there is absolutely no need for them here in Houston, but does knit scarves and parayer shawls of her own handspun wool to donate to the local womens breast cancer groups.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Depends on how variegated it is. I have used the yarn in question, but there are many versions of it. Is it self-striping/self-patterning? Try knitting up a swatch and see what it looks like. If you don't like it, you can rip it out and keep the yarn, or you could do as marni suggested. Yarn can be surprisingly forgiving.

The blended color scarves are either accomplished with a yarn with long color changes or a very creative use of other colors. (See example)

And you can totally learn how to knit socks. Wrestling with the needles is a bit challenging, especially at first, but it's not bad once you get the hang of it.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Owlie,

I think it's self striping dark blue, light blue and some short variegated blues. Gorgeous color.

I started up and realized I lost count..again. LOL. It's the, "'do a certain stitch" x times and realized I forgot which one I was on..3 or 4th? LOL. I need to figure out a way to keep track.

Here's the pattern

I'm just not going to make it that wide, trying to remember the numbers of repeats across each row would kill me.

At least I get the ssk stitch now. LOL

I'll get to socks..eventually.

It was 9 degrees today. Figured it was a good day to learn something new.

Thanks for the help. I'll work on it again tomorrow. My brain hurts from counting.

Stitch markers and row counters are your friends. And once you have repeated the pattern a couple of times you'll develop a good sense for where you are in the pattern when you have to set it down and pick it up again.

Also, do you know how to put in a lifeline before you tread into unfamiliar territory? Makes it easier to rip back without having to frog the whole thing.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Depends on how variegated it is. I have used the yarn in question, but there are many versions of it. Is it self-striping/self-patterning? Try knitting up a swatch and see what it looks like. If you don't like it, you can rip it out and keep the yarn, or you could do as marni suggested. Yarn can be surprisingly forgiving.

The blended color scarves are either accomplished with a yarn with long color changes or a very creative use of other colors. (See example)

And you can totally learn how to knit socks. Wrestling with the needles is a bit challenging, especially at first, but it's not bad once you get the hang of it.
    my true sock liberation came when I learned how to knit socks from toes up on two circular needles. Love that method.

I can't really knit lace cause I always get lost inspite of stitch counters and help lines. For some reason I have never really learned to have a feel for where I am in a pattern. On the other hand I am a mean multi color or Faroe isle knitter.

Good luck.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

Finally made it through some rows today. I finally had the idea to draw out each row on a piece of paper and number to 38 to visually see the design.

It's a beautiful lace pattern but the yarn isn't going to work as it changes every inch. I see why it's perfect for socks and maybe not so great for a scarf.

I do have a couple of books on knitting socks. I'll go through them again and see if I can understand the patterns better.

Thanks for the help!

of course you could always just knit a simple sockinette or ribbed scarf which would allow you to use the varigated yarn and find something else for your lace.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

I love varigated yarn for hats. And there are a gazillion cool (and free) hat patterns on ravelry

I have about 5 projects that I need to start and don't have the right needles for any of them so I'm just sitting on them doing nothing. I really need to start the hats for my pilates teacher's baby before the kid is born though!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    of course you could always just knit a simple sockinette or ribbed scarf which would allow you to use the varigated yarn and find something else for your lace.

marni
    I'm not sure 100g of sock yarn would be enough for a scarf.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Search for that yarn, and see how it looks knit up! Why not socks? They're fun!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...