Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Santa Barbara

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Santa Barbara

To disable ads, please log-in.

We are invited to a wedding this autumn in the above city.

So tell me about cycling in this city and nearby. I get this impression Silicon Valley towns/cities are nearby...
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Santa Barbara is a good 6+ hours from Silicon Valley. It's close to Solvang, and the cycling there is lovely.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

One of the nicest places I've visited.
    I didn't ride when I went there, but I can't imagine it not being good for cycling.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

+1 on the Solvang area, a mere 20-30 miles from SB. Check out the route maps for the Solvang Century. On that note, I bet the route maps for the Santa Barbara Century would have some good stuff too.

I'm sure there is great road riding in SB. I've heard good things about the mountain trails, too. Really cool place all around.
    Last edited by tangentgirl; 01-20-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: century maps ftw!
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

Sounds great. I probably will have to rent a bike... I won't there long enough to do tons of cycling to justify the flight fees for bike transport.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Santa Barbara is my neck of the woods! PM me when you are making plans, I would enjoy taking you around on whatever kind of ride you are looking for! Fall is some of our best weather! tokie (what kind of bike would you like to rent? not sure there is alot of bike rental here, but I can ask around for you....except there is a cycle touring company in Solvang that does provide rentals-and the riding there is spectacular!)

Tokie, it would be this mid-October. Let me know if there is bike rental in Santa Barbara and if the store(s) are on the 'Net, I will check around, inquire.

I'm a small person at 5'1" with short legs and shorter arms.

OK - but as a 5'1 woman my self who has to shorten pants and sleeves of petite clothes, I also know how rare 47 - 49 bikes are in general. If nothing else pans out, I suppose you could borrow my "back-up" bike. (You are looking for a road bike then?) tokie

I prefer not to try a bike with dropped down handlebars during a vacation. I ride a bit more upright.

Let's pm each other over the next few weeks on bike solutions.

What is your area like in mid-October weather-wise?

I have 4 bikes but ironically it's just not economical for me to ship a bike by air for the cost and the amount of cycling I'll be doing (I doubt I'll have time to do tons.)