Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Maybe you have a bigger framesize or smaller feet? I don't know.

When I tried to put my old Schwalbe Marathons on my bike, the back wheel didn't turn because there was too little clearing. This is from the Soma homepage : "Max. tire width with thoses brakes: 33c(28c with fenders)If you must have wider tires, consider a 650b build".
    Last edited by Susan; 02-05-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post

When I tried to put my old Schwalbe Marathons on my bike, the back wheel didn't turn because there was too little clearing. This is from the Soma homepage : "Max. tire width with thoses brakes: 33c(28c with fenders)If you must have wider tires, consider a 650b build".
    My Buena Vista is a 54 cm. My feet are 9 1/2.

Thank you for the information about the fit of Schwalbe Marathons. My 700x32 Vittoria Randonneurs are getting worn and I'm thinking of trying some Marathon Plus tires. I'll be careful to get 700x28 if I change brands!
    Existence is empty, but I am full of myself.

Sorry for the thread hijack all because this is not a mixte. But this is a beautiful Soma build which Knott and I saw recently.

Check out the "hood ornament"

I was taking this picture as the rider came out. We quickly wiped the drool off his bike and talked to him about it. Both the sweet crow ornament and wood fenders are custom made by a friend of his.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0127121307-01-1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	14178  
    Last edited by Trek420; 02-05-2012 at 02:26 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Susan - here are a few (very poor) pictures. I'm pretty pleased with the build!

Sky King help me out with all the leather goods since none of them came from the same company and harmonizing them was going to be tricky.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011_1029_Misc0014.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	14181   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011_1029_Misc0018.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	14182   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011_1029_Misc0015.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	14183  
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Ooo she is so pretty I love the little well-thought-out details.

Thank you, ma'am!
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post

I'm sorry if this is a double post. I still seem to be having trouble making my replies go through. My first reply was immediately after your post.

My Buena Vista is a 54 cm. My feet are size 9 1/2. My shop warned me I'd need to let air out of the tires to take the wheels off, but assured me I'd get the wide tires and full coverage fenders I wanted without any trouble. I must say they were right. Over all I'm quite pleased with the combination.

Thank you for the information about the fit of the Schwalbe Marathons. If I do change brands when my 32mm Vittoria Randonneurs finally wear out I will be careful to get 28mm Marathons.

Do you like the Rannonneur tires? I am still looking for a tire with a little profile for winter riding.

I do like them. They are around 4 years old now and so far they haven't had a puncture. They are fairly low pressure (75 psi) hard case tires. The reflective sidewalls are bright. They don't have a particularly grippy tread. The tread is smooth with grooves in it. Cyclocross tires would probably be better in the snow than Vittoria Randonneurs. I haven't tried riding my Buena Vista in the snow because I have a mountain bike which is good in the snow.