Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: quinoa recipes

quinoa recipes

To disable ads, please log-in.

I haven't tried Quinoa but looking for some different recipes. Does anyone have any quinoa breakfast recipes? Can quinoa be added to other foods? Thank you
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

We eat quinoa a lot. I can be cooked and used in most recipes in lieu of rice and sometimes pasta. I usually saute some garlic in olive oil, "toast" the quinoa a bit, and then cook it in chicken stock. I have served it with tomato sauce and a fried egg, with an eggplant tomato sauce, as a cold salad with dried cranberries, feta and a light citrus vinaigrette. Very easy. There's a good looking recipe in this month's Endurance Magazine (here.

I've not tried it for breakfast, but a google search of "quinoa breakfast" turned up some good looking recipes.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

We eat a ton of quinoa (I'm a vegetarian, and it's a higher-protein grain than most). I like to cook up a plain batch and then keep it around for lots of different preparations: toss a handful into salad, make a porridge (with cinnamon, almond milk, fruit & nuts), or use it in place of any other grain.

My favourite quinoa salad is a version of tabouli (here's the recipe) -- it uses tons of lemon and is so delicious!

I also have made them into veggie burger patties -- YUM, especially in a pita.
    Lindsay
    2011 Cannondale CAAD10 WSD 105

veggie food blog: http://kitchenoperas.com

Thanks for the recipe ideas. Im going to pick some up tomorrow
    2006 Trek 7100

Hi linzq,
    Thanks for sharing wheatberry salad recipe with everyone. I have checked the links and found chickpeas out of stock so will try wheatberry salad later.

Love quinoa. A favorite dinner recipe is to cook the quinoa in some chicken broth with lemon pepper seasoning. Then toss in chunks of chicken breasts and green peas with even more lemon pepper seasoning to satisfy my need for a good pepper burn. There's a quinoa salad recipe floating about my google reader somewhere. I think it has black beans, quinoa, diced jalapeno peppers, cilantro, a red pepper, lemon juice, salt and olive oil involved in it.

Another thing I used to do with it was to cook it into a porridge then blitz 1/4 cup of the porridge with a frozen banana and 4 or 5 whole strawberries. And maybe a squirt of chocolate syrup. I'm not admitting to anything. It makes a fantastic breakfast smoothie.
    "My school is the doubt in your eyes." - Tito Mukhopadhyay

Quinoa biryani!

I love Indian food. I love quinoa.

http://www.forumpakistan.com/tasty-q...ni-t59953.html

tada!
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

For breakfast -- cook quinoa like oatmeal!

Quinoa cooks in the same proportions (1/2 cup quinoa, 1 cup of water); add cranberries, violá, you have breakfast cereal.

You can also make it savory-ish (since cranberries are sweet) by letting is cool off, adding parlsey, even a splash of lemon, and now you have quinoa salad.

This month's Food & Wine magazine has a great quinoa recipe in it. I made it last night. It's a quinoa lentil pilaf that also features cauliflower. Very tasty!
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    For breakfast -- cook quinoa like oatmeal!

Quinoa cooks in the same proportions (1/2 cup quinoa, 1 cup of water); add cranberries, violá, you have breakfast cereal.
    Yup^
    I really like my oatmeal so I've had a hard time replacing it completely. I do about 2/3 oatmeal with 1/3 quinoa. Add a diced apple or raisins and a sprinkle of cinnamon and you're done.

I recently had a Sweet Potato Quinoa burger at a restaurant. It was awesome. Here is a link to the recipe.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

quinoa recipe

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...ni-recipe.html

I had my doubts about the currants and dill combination, but this was amazing. Don't skimp on the sesame seeds. It seems like a ton, but it makes the quinoa taste amazing. I had raw ones so I toasted them in a skillet until they started popping, then cooled them before adding to the recipe. I didn't have lemon zest so I used lime, and it was great. The feta was a nice addition at the end.

Can I just use it like rice? It has to be washed/rinsed first?
    2006 Trek 7100

Just thought I'd add this as I just made a great dinner with quinoa. I made quinoa with curry powder, dried onions, 3 tbls of minced garlic, about 1/4th cup of fresh chopped onions, some sea salt and a half cup or so of leftover chickpeas. Just cooked that all together. Then I cooked some spinach and shrimp together in a skillet with a bit of olive oil and garlic. Topped it all off with a little grated Parmesan and it was delicious.

I buy pre washed quinoa. It cooks up fine in 15 minutes.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

That must be what I have because it didn't take long to cook. I don't have the bag anymore but it's the Ancient Grains one I bought at Costco.