Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

STP - Anyone else sign up today?

To disable ads, please log-in.

My DH got up at the butt-crack of dawn to sign us up for the Seattle to Portland ride ...he didn't have any hangups at all. I tried to log onto the Cascade Club website this afternoon to look up something else, and I couldn't get it to load, so hope they aren't having issues with all that. I know it doesn't usually fill up for weeks though.

I also scored us a room at the DoubleTree Hotel across the street from the park, yeah! I thought for sure it would have been filled up by now. We have stayed at the Red Lion which is only about two blocks away, but still it's so much easier when you are beat...just to walk 50 steps or so and be there.

Happy Dance!
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Cool, keep us posted, maybe some of us PDX TEers can cheer you coming in!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

Thinking hard about it and would really love you advice (and of course any encouragement, valid or otherwise). I think we are of similar ages (I just turned 56). Since you have an STP under your belt, I would be interested in your thoughts. Funny, last night I just re-read your report from last year!

My son and fiance are planning to ride. They think its a great way to get in shape for their wedding the following weekend! They really want parents to join in. My husband's up for it. I'm the weak link here. My longest ride off the bike path was a hilly metric century last summer. I did it, but was tired. Had a great time. Didn't train for it, just rode whenever I felt like it spring/summer. Didn't work out at the gym.

I had thought this would be my year to ride a century and then consider the STP for 2013.

We live near Centralia, so would just sleep in our own beds on Sat. All last summer I averaged 14 mph. Windy, tailwind, hilly (including the metric century) flat, push hard, go easy, you name it I'm a 14 mph girl. Since I moved to the compact dbl from my triple on the hybrid, I've found myself walking hills I used to be able to get up.

I've been hitting the gym pretty consistently since mid Oct., mostly strength training. Just finished my second spin class ever this evening. I'm hoping if I can strengthen my legs, I can get up the hills a bit better. I really need to improve my cardio capacity as well.

Oh, and I just signed up to climb the Columbia Tower (69 floors the tallest building in Seattle for you non NWers) in late March. Its a fundraiser for leukemia.

I would love to be able to earn that badge in Portland. I've always been so impressed with the STPers. We loved watching them when they came through the park in Tenino. But I'm your basic mom/wife in the bleachers. I'm learning to be an athlete, but I'm not naturally strong (mentally and phyically).

So, what kind of training would you recommend based on what I've told you. I've printed CBC's riding recommendations. Do you think I'm STP material?

Also, as we are not CBC members, do you think we need to join and sign up now? My son was asking me that earlier today.

So sorry for the long winded post! This is just really on my mind right now.

Thanks.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

Smitty Kitty, you can do the STP. First of all, it's not that hilly. What is much harder is all the miles and the possible weather conditions. I did it when I was about your age. I did train but I could have trained better. What we did right was we paired a lot of rides (a 50 followed by a 30, for example) what we did wrong was I should have been more consistent so that by the time STP day came I would have been in better shape.

We rode to winlock the first day because I couldn't bear the thought of riding the same distance the second day (but Ahhhh you get to sleep in your own bed!!!! THAT would be great).
    I think you are STP material ( I did the stair climb a few years ago too, that's great training!!)
    JOIN and sign up now! Last year believe it or not, the ride sold out. DO IT.
    we (at TE) will be here routing for you.

One thing I did that really helped me (mentally) was that we went to Puyallup a month or so before the ride and rode up that hill. When I got to the top, I said "That's IT?" the biggest hill of the ride...

good luck
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Smittykitty, you are STP material and MORE. Holy cow, to me you sound like an Ironwoman... climbing 69 flights of stairs??

If you can do 14 mph you have it made in the shade. I am still an 11mph girl. Lordy, I am trying to work on that, maybe losing a bit of weight might help me. I had to walk up that Puyallup hill last year, but it wasn't that long. Nice view at the top when you stop to catch your breath.

Other than getting in more longer rides two days in a row, the main thing I would do differently is to not stop for so long at the rest stops. I was handicapped last year (seems funny now, but it sure wasn't then) by forgetting my bike computer and then my phone went dead. So I had no idea of time spent at the rest stops.

We also stayed in Winlock and it took me 15 hours to get there...yes, that is completely pathetic, but I made it. I was sort of glad not to do as much mileage the next day, but 120 miles was really hard for me. The most I had done before that was 70 miles. We had such a crappy spring last year - each time we planned to do a longer ride 80 - 100 miles, the weather turned rotten. This year that is going to be different. You really need to condition your butt to sit in the saddle for long rides...that next morning... sitting on my saddle first thing... well, lets just say it wasn't fun...

Biciclista says it's not that hilly, and it isn't, but there are quite a few rollers in SW Washington and into Oregon in places (but OH are the downhills fun!!)

I pray that we are as blessed with the good weather as we were last year. Warm but not hot, tailwinds pretty much the whole way, no rain at all!

It is the greatest adventure and the most physical thing I have ever done in my life and it was overwhelming when I rolled over the finish line. I couldn't believe that I did it. I really cherish that finish line patch.

I hope we can meet up at the fnish line festival and congratulate each other smittykitty! GO FOR IT! You won't be sorry.

If I can do it anyone can... seriously.

One more thing: make your reservations for Portland ASAP if you are planning on staying that night and not taking the bus back to Seattle.

Oh, Appletree, good point! when I did STP, my averages were between 10 and 11 mph!!!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    Oh, Appletree, good point! when I did STP, my averages were between 10 and 11 mph!!!
    Somehow I am glad to know that Biciclista. I usually feel like I am the only one being passed by everybody else...well, because I am. It was really obvious when we crossed over that big bridge going into Oregon and I was the last one over before they let the cars back through. Ha.

That's okay, I just RIDE ON anyway!

Thanks ladies. You are too kind. I'm thinking we are going to do it! The kids signed up yesterday. I'm really close, thanks to you both.

I'm sure my speed will go way down with that many miles though. I think the suggestions for riding some of the hills, especially "the hill" in advance is a great idea.

And I haven't climbed those stairs yet!

Thanks for all of your encouragement. I'm feeling way better about it.
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

When I did the stair climb, I got all caught up in the adrenalin thing and started running up the stairs. 1 flight up it hit me that i wouldn't get up 6 flights at that rate so i slowed down and just walked up the stairs as I had been for all my practices. I think i made it in 13 minutes, a delightful time. I am SO glad i did that. my son did it with me. He did it in 11 (and seconds) and had a nasty cold!!!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Good advice on the stairs. Thanks. I've only practiced stairs twice. Will hit the stairs again on Fri.

Thanks
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

I must be insane! Hubby just talked me into signing up again. I was so burned out on cycling after last summer's over booked riding schedule, I just hung up my bike after RSVP and haven't touched it since. It looks so pathetic sitting there with the RSVP number attached. I've been working out at a health club, so I'm not getting too out of shape, but I'm going to have to get back on the bike soon...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    I must be insane! Hubby just talked me into signing up again. I was so burned out on cycling after last summer's over booked riding schedule, I just hung up my bike after RSVP and haven't touched it since. It looks so pathetic sitting there with the RSVP number attached. I've been working out at a health club, so I'm not getting too out of shape, but I'm going to have to get back on the bike soon...

Insane is a good word for it...

I want to do RSVP too, at least we both signed up for it, DH did it the previous three years, this will be my first. What was your experience with that ride? I hear it is a little hillier than STP.

I've done RSVP 4 times. It is hillier than STP, but it seems to me that the weather has more to do with riding comfortably than anything. The first two years it was blazing hot and I really suffered, but rolling into downtown Vancouver was so uplifting! There are some spots like the Barnett Highway and Coquitlam that are seriously dreary (especially if it's hot) but the rest is quite beautiful.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

OMG. We're signed up!!!
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

It's a ton of fun, smittykitty. You'll have a blast!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks