Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye kitties

To disable ads, please log-in.

How very sad Trek Jeni - What a bizarre disappearance story. I'm glad your neighbors found him. You could have been wondering about him forever.

Thanks all. It was super tough but in the last two days, I've been more relaxed too. I didn't realize the strain my little man, Milford, had put on me. I never knew if it was going to be a good day or bad day. Looking through old photographs, I can see the beginning of his downward spiral. I had two vets tell me during our journey, "maybe we've done all we can..."

I wrote this little note about him the other night...

My little Milford took fate into his own paws Saturday afternoon. 1-7-11. He's been a medical mystery for the last 10 months and even though he was euthyroid (with meds), we could just never get him to bounce back to 100%. After a delicious feast of McDonalds chicken nuggets, part of a hamburger and a few licks of my caramel mocha frappe (he ended up with caramel and whipped cream in his hair silly boy), he decided to take himself for a long walk down to our creek by the pond and lay himself to rest. This was miraculous as he had been basically bed ridden for the last 72 hours with no appetite. He was too weak to even lift his feet into the litter box and would fall over while walking. His little adventure must have started shortly after we left to run some errands. He had lived the last couple days on the kitchen counter on a heating pad and managed to jump off of it, get down to the basement, out the door (it was left open for the dogs), shimmy under the fence, and walk a couple hundred feet down to the creek. Way to go little kitty!!! Love you and miss you bunches!

Oh ... that is so sweet and made me so teary-eyed here at work. (((Hugs))) to you. Milford and Fraidy were lucky kitties.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

What a lovely tribute! It sounds like all that good food in his final feast may have given him the extra energy he needed to get to his final resting spot. Good. Teary-eyed here too.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

So, so touching. Milford was a brave little cat.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

((((((TrekJeni)))))) so sorry for your loss.
    Beth

Sorry for your loss! I read your post yesterday and I just couldn't type response then. You sound you a wonderful kitty mommy!

K
    katluvr

Thanks all. I now realize I was a good kitty mom but at the time of both of their deaths, I felt like I could have done more. I keep thinking I see them out of the corner of my eye and look up and they're not there. At least they aren't suffering anymore!

I got a piece of hate mail that I think I'm just going to ignore from one of the people on my feline kidney failure lists. I really don't think I did anything wrong and as I was going to euth him anyways this past weekend, he got the last meal of a king (remember, he wasn't eating for the last couple days before his death) and McDonalds was always one of his favorites!

Dear Jeni,
    I am so sorry to hear of your sudden loss of your other kitty, Milford. I hope the seasoned human food did not make him sicker, and assume that was an accident. You probably never intended for him to eat that, as seasonings can be toxic to kitties, esp. CRF kitties. I know this has been such a difficult time, and I hope and pray that you will find strength and comfort during this time of healing. It is never easy to lose a beloved pet. I am so sorry for your loss.
    Hugs and prayers

Jeni
    do not give that person any more of your energy.
    I would have given my sick/dying cat anything I thought they'd eat!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Wow; I can't imagine sending something like under these circumstances. As Mimi said, don't trouble yourself with that person's extremely misguided message to you.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by TrekJeni View Post
    Thanks all. I now realize I was a good kitty mom but at the time of both of their deaths, I felt like I could have done more. I keep thinking I see them out of the corner of my eye and look up and they're not there. At least they aren't suffering anymore!

I got a piece of hate mail that I think I'm just going to ignore from one of the people on my feline kidney failure lists. I really don't think I did anything wrong and as I was going to euth him anyways this past weekend, he got the last meal of a king (remember, he wasn't eating for the last couple days before his death) and McDonalds was always one of his favorites!

Dear Jeni,
    I am so sorry to hear of your sudden loss of your other kitty, Milford. I hope the seasoned human food did not make him sicker, and assume that was an accident. You probably never intended for him to eat that, as seasonings can be toxic to kitties, esp. CRF kitties. I know this has been such a difficult time, and I hope and pray that you will find strength and comfort during this time of healing. It is never easy to lose a beloved pet. I am so sorry for your loss.
    Hugs and prayers
    Well that person doesn't have their head on right. Cripe, whether pet or people, eat what you want to eat at the end.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    Jeni
    do not give that person any more of your energy.
    I would have given my sick/dying cat anything I thought they'd eat!
    +1,000 on this - I am flabbergasted that someone sent that to you. You are a great cat-mom (and dog-mom)! Don't give her message another thought.

Forget that loser TrekJeni. When any animal comes to the end of its life (I include the human animal), it can be difficult to get them to eat ANYTHING. When my Isis was coming to the end of her kitty life, all she would eat was raw salmon and that's what I gave her, for several weeks. You gave Milford something he would not only enjoy, he actually ate it. That's all that matters. You did good by Milford.

2001 Trek 7500 FX, converted to a hauler - Serfas
    200? Marin hybrid - Selle San Marco
    2004 Trek 5200 - Avatar
    2011 Trek 6.2 Madone - Ruby

Hi Jeni,

Send that message straight to trash. I would have done the same as you. Give them whatever they want to eat. I wouldn't hesitate giving any of my kitties Mac Nuggets or whatever they want especially when they haven't been eating. Getting any food down is better than none!!

You did everything you can for them.

Peace be with you,

smilingcat

I'm so sorry for your loss. You sound like a great cat-mom and you did what you could to make him happy until the end. I can only hope that the person who sent you that email was more thoughtless than intentionally cruel.

When I last lost a beloved cat, who lived until the age of 17, I also thought I could/should have done more for her. I eventually took comfort in realizing that I did my best to give her the best life I possibly could. And I don't care what anybody says, our cats do realize and appreciate it.