Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, good thing I weighted myself for the challenge before I went on vacation. I gained back the exact amount I lost. I knew I was eating a lot, but I thought some of the very intense nordic skiing and snow shoeing might mitigate some of it.
    Sigh... back on phase one of my plan.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    OK, good thing I weighted myself for the challenge before I went on vacation. I gained back the exact amount I lost. I knew I was eating a lot, but I thought some of the very intense nordic skiing and snow shoeing might mitigate some of it.
    Sigh... back on phase one of my plan.
    I totally feel your pain! I didn't weigh myself for a week after our trip, and I was still up (and still am today). I think our bodies just become awfully efficient at "the gain back" when we hit our 50s. Even when we're active. I'm beginning to think I've just got a new setpoint and will never be back to what I weighed when I was working.

I'm probably overly paranoid about even a small amount of weight gain b/c my mom was a skinny mini til she hit her mid- to late-40s, then started packing on the pounds, though not eating outrageous amounts or anything; it seemed to be more of a hormonal change. At 77 now, she's never been able to get the extra pounds off. I look just like her and am built like her as well so know I have that propensity. One major difference is that she never exercised, and I am very active. I am hoping that will be enough to keep me from ending up where she is. I refuse to go on severely restrictive diets b/c I know those don't work for me in the long run.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

FWIW, my mother is 74 and she lost almost 20 pounds recently. My father had to change his diet due to a pre-diabetic condition, so she made changes to the kind of carbs they ate -- different kinds of bread, sweet potatoes instead of white -- and lost weight pretty easily. She is active in terms of everyday activities, like carrying laundry up and down stairs, but does not do lots of exercise other than that.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    FWIW, my mother is 74 and she lost almost 20 pounds recently. My father had to change his diet due to a pre-diabetic condition, so she made changes to the kind of carbs they ate -- different kinds of bread, sweet potatoes instead of white -- and lost weight pretty easily. She is active in terms of everyday activities, like carrying laundry up and down stairs, but does not do lots of exercise other than that.
    That's great, ny biker! Wish my mom would have that kind of success. She does get that type of housekeeping exercise too, and she already sticks to a low-carb diet for the most part (with occasional splurges at restaurants). She is savvy about nutrition, a great cook, and eats no fast food or junk. She's also on thryoid medication for hypothyroidism, so she's done everything she can other than "real" exercise. And I know she won't do that -- I long ago gave up nagging her to take walks or anything more strenuous. She actually has lost about 10 lbs. over the past year, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to what she would like to lose.

On the plus side, her cholesterol and blood pressure are great, and she's quite healthy, no diabetes, etc. But once she added so many fat cells over the years, she's found that she has to STARVE herself to shrink 'em back up. I think she did herself in with lots of yo-yo dieting in her 30s (anyone remember "The Cambridge Diet"?) and 40s and really screwed up her metabolism.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

My mom also was extremely thin (and gorgeous) until she was about 54. Well, she was still gorgeous. She *did* exercise, walking very vigorously, to the point that nurses at her check ups often asked if she was a runner. The weight gain started after menopause, and then a couple of years later, she was diagnosed with a liver disease. She finally didn't have the strength to walk and gave up. She died at 67, very skinny, but as a result of having a transplant that didn't work. My mom also ate very healthy foods and was a fabulous cook, but like me, she went out a lot and food was a huge part of her life. I always say she was born in the wrong time; she was very athletic, but there were no outlets for it. She always went riding with me, when I was about 10 or 11 and people made fun of her!
    So far, I've avoided the huge weight gain. But, I'm OK with having to be this watchful. I was able to maintain the lower weight and still go out. It's just that on vacation we had 3 meals a day made by a French chef whose cooking is so good, we put up with the fact his inn is kind of decrepit and dirty! It's like having a personal chef.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

It's just that on vacation we had 3 meals a day made by a French chef whose cooking is so good, we put up with the fact his inn is kind of decrepit and dirty! It's like having a personal chef.
    It sounds worth it to me! Yum!
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

In the end, it was. But, the dirt finally got to us and we explored and found a new place to try that will also help us try out new touring centers, as well as ski where we were this time.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I've a resting metabolic rate test scheduled fro March 16, now we will know If I am eating too few calories or not...I suspect that I am, but don't want to change things without more information and professional guidance. The latter wouldn't be so important if I hadn't already reversed diabetes once...

I have an appointment right after that with an experienced sports nutritionist/dietitian so all of that, combined with my bod-pod evaluation two weeks ago, should give me a really good snapshot of where I am at 52.

I seem to have settled again at a new weight (134), but at least it is lower than it was. I am more concerned about my core body fat however, which is the driving force behind all of this. It isn't healthy, and the older I get the harder it will be to lose. Frankly I don't care if my weight really changes, but that my composition does.

3 pounds down today.
    Phew. Now I just have to feel better, so I can start working out again.
    Catrin, I am interested in what your evaluation shows and what the dietician says.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch View Post
    showing 150 rather than 105 for me is throwing your stats out of whack.

whoooops.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

I'll set up the next round, so look for that thread and respond there if you are in for the next 2 months. It will take us until May 4.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

3 pounds down today.
    Phew. Now I just have to feel better, so I can start working out again.
    Catrin, I am interested in what your evaluation shows and what the dietician says.
    So am I, will update afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post
    I'll set up the next round, so look for that thread and respond there if you are in for the next 2 months. It will take us until May 4.
    Thanks!!!

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks Posse!