Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coldest Ride of the Year!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Disclaimer - I am not always the smartest person on the planet

Yesterday, during the day when the temps were in the mid 20s, it seemed like a good idea to plan a ride for after work. I sent a message to my trusty riding companion, and we agreed to do an MTB ride starting at 5:30 pm.

Ride time came, and the temp outside was 17.8 F . Let me be clear - IT. WAS. COLD. Since we are both too stubborn (stupid?), we bundled up, put on the lights and headed into the woods. Getting to the trail head requires a bit of pavement time, and with the added windchill, I actually believed we may not be able to get through our intended route.

I have the opposite problem of many people - my hands are typically too warm, and I need to wear thinner gloves than most. Last night, however, my fingers were frozen within 10 minutes - to the point of not being able to feel the brake levers! And the CamelBak I filled with water before leaving? Yeah - the hose on that sucker froze before hitting the trailhead.

We stopped briefly in the woods to try and get some circulation in the hands, which helped. In the end, we managed to finish our intended loop and had an awesome night of riding. On returning to the house, the temp had dropped a couple of degrees, and was sitting at 15.1.

Definitely the coldest ride so far this year (season). Likely to be a few more .

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

All I can say is Brrrrrr!

K
    katluvr

Gah.

I'll commute in temperatures like that, because not doing so is even colder and delivers me still grumpy at work, but riding for pleasure when it's that cold is a contradiction in terms
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I knew there was a reason I moved to California! Frozen camelbak... geez... really...

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Wow.

I did a 120 miler last week where it was 23 degrees for an extended period of time and stayed below freezing for 3 hours (we started before dawn), which was a record for me. I track how long the temps stay below freezing. Camelbaks and water bottles froze - and stayed slushy for a while; one of my riding companions started vomiting because she was so cold.

I thought THAT was cold, but now I know better!!

And it was lovely in Maine/NH/VT when I was there last week. Glad they saved up the good weather for me.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post

And it was lovely in Maine/NH/VT when I was there last week. Glad they saved up the good weather for me.
    It was only lovely if you don't like snow... I had my biggest mileage week since August last week - I SHOULD be out on my skis at this point in the year here!

And yes, I am a bit on the whacko side

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

I know - I was kidding a little about the weather. My daughter was SO disappointed. No snow in my mom's yard at all after the rain Tues night. (It snowed Friday when we took the day to VT, at least).

But it's like that here, too. NO snow. And last year both coasts were socked in w/snow at this time.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

WOW is right! Y'all are made of tougher stuff than me. Brrrrrr is all I can say. I just can't imagine riding in that cold of weather plus the added factor of it being dark outside. I get the idea of a sense of accomplishment and mental and physical toughness and applaud those who can do that. I just can't conceive of that for me.

Happy riding and congrats to those who ride in winter conditions.

and here I am thinking riding in anything under 50 degrees is cold! But hey, I'm in the South so to me that is cooold!
    Get busy living or get busy dying..

2010 Cervelo P2-Cobb Flow Max Plus

A couple of weeks ago I rode at my coldest temps, low 20's. Surprisingly it was dh idea. Despite my Gore Windstopper my fingers were frozen by mile 10 and ached. This is a club ride that I lead, not that there were many to lead, but I ride at a slower pace so accomodate.

Although others faired not too badly, I wasn't going fast enough for my body to get warm. I will resume leading the rides when temps get warmer needless to say. I also ended the ride at 15 miles since I couldn't take much more.
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

Oy, SheFly, I was cold just getting out of my car when I got home .
    I feel all out of whack without SNOW. I am mentally ready to be concentrating on x country skiing and not planning outdoor rides for the weekend. Really, this just feels wrong. If it's going to be this cold, let it snow!
    I won't be out on my bike in these temperatures, despite the dry pavement. But, I am in awe of your ability to deal with these temperatures on the bike.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Wow SheFly, that is hard core!!

In the last few years the cold has made me ache more than ever before, I sure hope I get to retire to someplace warmer!

Electra Townie 7D

WOW, you rock woman! That is just awesome! I've asthma, and cold air is a trigger, so I generally won't ride in colder than 27-28 degree temps and it pretty much needs to be sunny and calm at that...

I am pretty stoked, however, at being able to plan outside rides this weekend rather than going to spin class I keep getting told how unnatural our weather is this year, but you know, I will take it! It does, however, make it next to impossible for our bodies to adjust to winter temps...
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-04-2012 at 09:22 AM.

SheFly, that's awesome. Cold weather riding can be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by chosen1 View Post
    and here I am thinking riding in anything under 50 degrees is cold! But hey, I'm in the South so to me that is cooold!
    Yes, my bike is on the trainer for the winter...if we hit 70 again I'll ride! That's why I live in Florida!

K
    katluvr