Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lunch Ideas

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been making a huge pot of soup on Sundays for lunches during the week. Onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, shredded cabbage (buy the bags of 'cole slaw') and assorted dried beans. Add enough chicken stock to make it soup and cook for a few hours. I freeze it in individual containers. Grab one in the morning, and by lunch it's still cold, but not frozed, I just microwave.

Quote Originally Posted by tlkiwi
    Jam? If you're going to con an uninitiated American into eating dry Weetbix (not a personal fav), you really ought to slather them with Vegemite/Marmite! :evillaughingsmiliegoeshere:
    Sigh, I'm in the presence of too many Antipodean sisters to EVER say anything disparaging about vegemite or its distant relative - the NZ version of "marmite".

I'm afraid I consider the true king of Yeast Extracts to be "Our Mate" (as packed in NZ, or Marmite, as packed everywhere else, except NZ ).
    I fear, however, that the deliciously revolting taste of yeast extract may tip our North American sistern well and truly over the edge.

And Marmite on Weetabix? Cue the theme tune for The Twilight Zone.
    Last edited by SnappyPix; 12-09-2005 at 10:02 AM.
    Life is Good!

Wow, I need to find some of this weetabix to give it a try.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really like the soup idea and the rice with veggies, salmon or whatever else. I can't wait to give some of these ideas a try, maybe I'll actually learn to enjoy lunch rather than forcing bland food down because I'm hungry

Ummm, Weetabix looks like Shredded Wheat. The big kind. Right? And, no, I will not eat it with yeast paste. No! No! No! L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

for something different, how bout a cyclist's PB&J? Peanut butter on your choice of bread with a slathering of Triberry gu gel instead of jam. As a friend who finally tried my sandwich [was recommended to me by someone else] PB&J on Steroids!! Tasty and nutritional..
    Never tried vegemite, but first thing I thought when i was reading about the Wheatibix was slapping vegemite on it..
    I agree with someone else though too, it does sound alot like shredded wheat stateside. I won't do that dry either. Now FROSTED mini wheats... YUMMMMM
    Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child playing with matches

Speaking of eel, I keep an emergency lunch in my office - ww crackers and a little tin of smoked oysters - add an apple and I'm happy for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by tlkiwi
    Jam? If you're going to con an uninitiated American into eating dry Weetbix (not a personal fav), you really ought to slather them with Vegemite/Marmite!

Quote Originally Posted by SnappyPix
    Sigh, I'm in the presence of too many Antipodean sisters to EVER say anything disparaging about vegemite or its distant relative - the NZ version of "marmite".
    And Marmite on Weetabix? Cue the theme tune for The Twilight Zone.
    Mmmmm... VEGEmite on weetbix... yummmm.... but you have to put a reasonable smear of butter on first.... yum!
    I used to have those in my lunchbox at school, the weetbix split like a bun.... but todays weetbix are not as hardy and crumble when you try to split them...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Well, I don't know about that weetabix stuff, but I've found you can put almost anything in a wrap. My favourite is red peppers, avocado and cheese - also good in a regular sandwich. In summertime I dig into my recipe books for different salads and make big batches. If you only put the dressing on single servings, rather than the whole batch, it keeps pretty well. Fruit and cottage cheese, veggies and hummus, are good as snacks. I'm also a bit odd in that if a veggie stew is thick enough I'll eat that cold too. I have a nice black bean stew recipe that makes a big batch - and leftovers are also good with rice, either on their own or made into a burrito of sorts.

Here I sit, dining resplendently from an individual serving-sized can of Bush's Baked Beans.

I try to keep a stock of them in my office desk drawer, along with Lundberg's tamari/seaweed rice cakes, and "bricks" of soup from the health food store.

I can't eat most things that are commonly available, and with a job, half a job, and twenty-four critters (a cat, a mouse, a rabbit, six chinchillas, and three parakeets of my own, plus twelve rescue rabbits), I don't cook. It's as much as I can do to find time to ride. I envy people who can eat fruit and salad. Or cheese. Or bread. Life must be so easy...
    "This is totally unfair! Just because I'm from another planet, I don't have rights? I mean, doesn't the Geneva convention protect extraterrestrials?" (Stargate)