Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

ideas while in San Diego?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok 2nd San Diego thread, but different!

It looks like I will be in San Diego in a few weeks for a work conference(fly in jan 15th fly out late jan 18th) and am looking for ideas to keep up fitness besides running... even though I will probably end up running, since it is free and on my time schedule.

Are there any good indoor spin facilities maybe that simulate the road/(computrainer would be ideal but I won't have a bike, so it doesn't work out....) or lap pools with open swim?

I will be staying near the Convention Center and will not have access to a car.

You might check to see if your hotel has a good pool. IIRC, hotels in that area tend to have decent facilities.

I, too, would be interested to hear about spin places. I think I looked at a couple on spinning.com, but that site is not always comprehensive.
    2001 Cannondale R500 <3
    2011 Specialized Ruby Elite Apex
    2021 Tangential Speedarama

I live about 40 minutes north of the downtown Convention Center, depending on the time of day and traffic. I think I've only been all the way downtown there about four times in the sixteen years I've lived here, so I'm no help with recommendations.

Unless you mean the Town and Country Convention Center in Mission Valley, which is a whole 'nother story. I drive by that every weekday and the Y I go to, which does have spin classes, but not the fancy environmental thing, is a couple blocks away. It does have a really nice lap pool with open swim all day -- two, actually, one indoor and one outdoor -- and a locker room and hot sauna. I like it. I think it opens at 5am or something, and I've worked out there myself as late as 9:30 or so.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Hi!
    Just wanted to say that I am not ignoring the thread, I just don't have any recommendations either; with our weather I have never seen the need to scope out a spin class.

If you are at the convention center downtown you will be able to get a nice waterfront run in, though, even if it isn't your preferred workout.
    Giant TCR C3 :: Specialized Jett 143
    Specialized FSR :: Terry Butterfly
    Vintage Giant Road Bike :: Specialized Lithia

+1 on the waterfront running -- there's a great park down there and you won't be out alone.

I asked a friend who does do spin classes and she said the downtown Y has great ones, and to look for classes with Jonathan.

What's your schedule look like for the several days you're here?

Roxy

Thanks!! probably running and I will look at the Y courses.

I am at the convention pretty much every day all day! I fly in Sunday and have a evening event at 5(I won a industry scholarship so I get to attend the presentation) and then Mon-Wed looks like i could be at the event all day every day, but I could also do my own thing when I want to. then it ends mid day Wed and I fly out around 3pm.

Doesn't sound like you'll have a lot of time. When I had a business trip out to SD I stayed over the weekend and went scuba diving; my office mate went to the zoo. We did a lot of walking around too, but the diving was great, and in pre-911 days, it was worth it to haul my dive gear across country. Now I probably wouldn't do it.

I am taking my bike I think it is only $50 each way on Southwest. This way I can ride early am mon,tues,wed.

Anyone have any ideas of any group rides those mornings? Or good routes to ride where I won't get lost,lol! (or want to join in for an early am ride and by early I mean 5 or 6 am)

I don't know about group rides from that area and it is a bit early for me, but one ride you can do by yourself is to ride along the harbor north to Point Loma, get on Rosecrans and head toward Cabrillo Point. It is a there-and-back ride as opposed to a loop but there are some nice little climbs and it is fairly easy to navigate. You will also come across other cyclists.

A great ride from downtown is around the bay, but it looks like you will be on a tight schedule so you don't want to mis-time the ferry and end up very late.

Here's an online bike map: http://www.icommutesd.com/Bike/BikeMap.aspx
    Giant TCR C3 :: Specialized Jett 143
    Specialized FSR :: Terry Butterfly
    Vintage Giant Road Bike :: Specialized Lithia

If you do not take your bike you can rent one from Moment Sports on Harbor drive at Liberty station.They have excellent quality road bikes for rent. I will not be awake at that time in the morn.

The only group ride I know of is 8am Tuesday mornings at Fiesta Island, which is not an easy ride from downtown, but doable. There is a beautiful wide sidewalk along the harbor from the Convention Center area through Seaport Village and on north and west through Liberty Station. I don't know how far you want to go, but it's still dark that time of the morning here, and it will be coooooold down by the water. Pack your arm warmers.

(And by cold, for all you Northerners snickering at my weather-wimpiness, I mean in the 40s-50s, but ha-ha, it will be in the 70s by afternoon, so there.)

Safe trip!

Roxy

Well I decided to leave the bike at home due to flight times. I have a super short layover both directions and don't want it to get lost.
    I also will have to take it to the convention wed.

Soooo...running it will be.