Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wink Your Surly Bikes - show them to me. Please, I mean.

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've noticed a few people on here have Surlys and I'd like to see the variations and varieties of our personalities come through, here.

Here's the most recent picture of mine, "Bowie".

Fatter tires are awesome. Roll faster than the stock tires for some reason. All sorts of mods including a Velo Orange Setback seatpost (for my Brooks obsessed brain) and a whisper quiet Shimano Nexave rear-hub (the stock hub was very noisy and it just bugged me to ride it at night that loudly. I didn't want anyone to hear me coming, I just wanted to zip past em'. LOL.)

I have great affection for my 520 too, but I don't know how many of us own Trek 520s on here.

Share your Surly with me.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

No photos today, but I have a Black Surly Cross Check with pink wheels/bar tape/cages.

I also have a Trek 520 I adore
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Surly LHT, 52 cm w/26" wheels. This is my only bike right now. The photo was at the end of an 88 mile day, and the end of that tour. I'd like to point out that the bike was extremely stable with the load configured this way.

I've kept the stock components except for the saddle and tires; everything else worked great out of the box. I've got it set up with Tubus racks and Planet Bike fenders. I like wide tires, but the stock tires they put on this bike aren't very good so I replaced them with Schwables. I have zero problems keeping up with riders on skinny tires and I don't have to worry about miniscule little cracks in the pavement. Clocked 42.5 mph on a mountain one day (not on purpose) so I'm really not sure what people mean when they say that this bike isn't fast.

Love that Brooks Imperial. I ride 4000-5000 miles per year and I don't own bike shorts.

I have those adjustable Topeak modulus water bottle holders, and they just fit my stainless steel water bottles. Had trouble placing the bell, so I ended up screwing it into the shifter cable mount on the downtube. This works very well.

My right shifter broke smack in the middle of this summer's tour, causing the cable to break as well. I rented a car and hauled the thing to the nearest shop, where they replaced the cable and put the shifter on friction. So, I rode the next 800 miles of that tour on friction, and then another 1000 or so at home before I finally sucked it up and paid for a new shifter. I don't mind friction shifting out in the middle of nowhere, but in town, friction shifting on a 9-speed sucks.

This afternoon I'm riding to the hardware store for a few little parts (the rear fender-chainstay bridge connection is always problematic, so I'm always tinkering with it) and then I'll be giving my bike a bath.

You rock! And so does your LHT!

I've had mine over a year now. And it's my go-to bike! I kind of get the whole one-bike-to-do-anything, now.

I never found one that fit this in my life. The LHT is it though. If I went back in time, (although I dearly love my 520 and it's an amazing bike) the LHT would be my first and only choice.

I don't regret buying the other, it's nice to have. I ride it plenty. Such as when the LHT is down for regular maintenance. I get pretty fussy about maintaining it. But, yeah.

As far as mileage, I have no idea how many miles I do or how fast I go. I think keeping track of it for me, would suck some fun out of it. Just because, I'd probably go slower than I'd like. LOL.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa

No pic at the moment but I have a 42cm LHT. Mine is an old one - the original sage green color.

I used to ride a black 42cm Surly Pacer. Nice bike.

My SO has a LHT in truckaccino color and a Cross Check in dark green.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

My lht is a dirty blue 54cm surly with 26 wheels, planet bike fenders. I haven't changed anything on it except pedals and saddle.
    Gearing is great for touring. The stability of my bike is stellar. The bike is even more comfortable loaded, than without the weight.
    I have a road bike and mountain, but nothing brings me more adventure than my touring buddy.
    In this pic my dh and I are on the 2nd segment of the transamerica 2010. We hope to finish up this coming summer.http://forums.teamestrogen.com/attac...1&d=1325646706
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2920.jpg 
Views:	797 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	14077  

Here's mine. Love this bike.

It's set-up is a little different. Added a Brooks and went to riser bars (from the Mary bars in the pic).

Does anything and gets me anywhere.

Oh and (duh) it's a 16" Karate Monkey.

Name:	monkey.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	14078  

Quote Originally Posted by cosc View Post
    My lht is a dirty blue 54cm surly with 26 wheels, planet bike fenders. I haven't changed anything on it except pedals and saddle.
    Gearing is great for touring. The stability of my bike is stellar. The bike is even more comfortable loaded, than without the weight.
    I have a road bike and mountain, but nothing brings me more adventure than my touring buddy.
    In this pic my dh and I are on the 2nd segment of the transamerica 2010. We hope to finish up this coming summer.http://forums.teamestrogen.com/attac...1&d=1325646706
    Love your photo! Have ridden that road before - I grew up in Yellowstone and my DH grew up in Bozeman.

I was comparing my Rivendell to a 54 cm Surly the other day - I am hoping to build an "adventure" bike soon. Was interesting and when we get a 52 cm in I will be able to try both. So I just had to share this photo! Bike Touring News is a certified surly dealer.

Name:	surlylht.jpg 
Views:	803 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	14081  
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    I was comparing my Rivendell to a 54 cm Surly the other day - I am hoping to build an "adventure" bike soon. Was interesting and when we get a 52 cm in I will be able to try both. So I just had to share this photo! Bike Touring News is a certified surly dealer.
    For what it's worth, it used to be on the Riv website that the LHT is a functional clone of the Atlantis. I don't know enough about bike geometry to confirm that. I honestly could see it though, if that were true. It used to say something like, "You want beautiful lugs and fancy paint, get the Atlantis. You don't want to pay that much, get a LHT." I have no idea how long the FAQ said that before they took it down. I do remember reading it though. It's what made me look Surly up! LOL.

Oh and I love my LHT and I love that photo!

56cm Cross Check. I haven't done much other than change the saddle, tires, stem, and added a third chain ring. I love my bike so much. I just went out for a ride today for the first time in months. I had a knee injury in September and haven't been able to ride more than a few blocks since then but it was so nice out I couldn't resist. Its my commuter, road bike, touring bike, gravel/dirt path bike, everything bike. I look at other pretty bikes and sigh because I don't need them, my CC does it all (all that I want to do right now that is)
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    2003 Cannondale Bad Boy
    Motobecane Nobly (60's or 70's)

My lovely LHT, currently my trainer bike...

My LHT

This is my third Surly and this is a keeper. Its taken about three years to decide exactly how I need my bike setup after shoulder replacement. So I have not cut the fork because I have to ride very upright. It's a very comfortable position. I have only added Drillium pedals and bamboo fenders. I really enjoy the pedals because when I commute I can wear any shoes. I have come to enjoy them on extended rides. My Surly has many bags to wear according to where we are going. I love my LHT.

Name:	IMG_6206.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	14098  

I don't need another bike I don't need another bike. I don't need another bike.

these are sure fine looking bicycles!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

MINE! 50cm Cross Check called "Bridget".

Bought it as a complete bike but had to swap out some of the stock parts to get a better fit. We now have:
    * Bontrager Race Lite Anatomic bars in 38mm
    * shorter stem with more rise (60mm +35degrees, versus 80mm/+6 degree as stock)
    * 160 mm cranks
    * 26T granny ring - bring on those hills!
    Oh yes and now with Speedplay Frog pedals.

Name:	2011.04.03_Bridget in Bowman Mews_2.JPG 
Views:	675 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	14099  
    Rebecca

Riley - custom 2014 Enigma Etape
    Bridget - 2010 Surly Cross Check
    Lorelei - 1979 Puch Princess mixte
    Astrid - 2014 Viking Bromley singlespeed mixte
    Lucy - bespoke 2012 Brompton S1L

Visit my blog: velovoice.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    I don't need another bike I don't need another bike. I don't need another bike.

these are sure fine looking bicycles!
    Isn't the perfect number of bikes N+1?