Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

6.5 miles in the freezing rain. I guess the spring-like weather is history and winter is about to storm in . . .
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Ugh; my PT has still not cleared me to run. The hamstring is just not healing. We've decided to give some of the strengthening exercises a rest for the next two weeks. The irony is that because of what we've been doing in session, my yoga practice has really benefited. My one legged balance poses are off the chart strong right now. But I can still barely sit for any length if time without a ton if pain (which means no riding) and running and fast walking are too risky. Ack!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

indy -- that sucks, so sorry.

I managed about a 5K very slow and uncomfortable run on the beach this morning. Like so much of the US, Belize is experiencing above-normal winter temps, which means that it feels like summer here. Low in the upper 70s (with high humidity), and highs in the low 80s. The sun comes up really early, and we're in dry season now, so fewer clouds around to help. Running in the heat, humidity, and sunshine is SO HARD for me.

A month ago I was able to run farther and much more comfortably, as we had cooler, more overcast mornings. It's amazing how much difference just a few degrees in temperature and clouds can make.

I am praying for a cold front to bring it down just a few degrees. Please, weather gods!?
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I really struggle to run in the heat--which for me is anthing above 60. I hand it to you for running in Belize at all!

So, I ran for five whole minutes today as a warmup for my session with my personal trainer. It felt fine.....but it was only five minutes at a relatively easy pace. Still, I'm hoping that it's healing bit by bit. Back to resting it though. I'm not ready for a full-on run.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Emily, I also have a lot of difficulty running in the heat. And by heat, I mean anything over 60-65. A couple of years ago, I went for a "practice" 5K run through my town center, in preparation for the one and only 5k race I've done. It was a beautiful, clear, sunny classic New England day, about 70-75 degrees.
    I truly thought I was going to faint and the only thing that kept me going was the thought of being in the police log published in the local paper! And this was just a few days after I got back from riding in 100 degree temperatures in Spain. I slowly have been able to build up my tolerance for riding in the heat, but it's still not my favorite thing.
    My on and off running has always been an early spring and fall thing.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    6.5 miles in the freezing rain. I guess the spring-like weather is history and winter is about to storm in . . .
    oy vey, lime! Was it miserable? I hope it wasn't too slippery.

Emily, you are welcome to have the cold front that descended on us yesterday (went from being in the 60s to the 30s---with strong winds). Tomorrow and Monday, I probably will be running in 20-30 degree temps but luckily, there isn't supposed to be windy.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Emily, I also have a lot of difficulty running in the heat. And by heat, I mean anything over 60-65. A couple of years ago, I went for a "practice" 5K run through my town center, in preparation for the one and only 5k race I've done. It was a beautiful, clear, sunny classic New England day, about 70-75 degrees.
    I truly thought I was going to faint and the only thing that kept me going was the thought of being in the police log published in the local paper! And this was just a few days after I got back from riding in 100 degree temperatures in Spain. I slowly have been able to build up my tolerance for riding in the heat, but it's still not my favorite thing.
    My on and off running has always been an early spring and fall thing.
    Me too. In North Carolina, I was very much an on-and-off runner. I tended to run on the treadmill at the gym year-round since I could get there during my lunch break from work and not cut into my before- or after-work time. The temperature there was always right around 68 with low humidity due to A/C or the fact that the gym was in the unheated basement in the winter. No sun beating down on me. I still got really hot the longer the runs got, but not unbearably so.

When I did have the opportunity to run outdoors (not all that often, since I was primarily a cyclist), I did so in any season other than summer. Just couldn't manage it then, though I could and did ride in some miserably hot and humid conditions. Though not always the most pleasant, riding in heat is a lot easier than running in it since you create a nice breeze riding along. I can't run fast enough to do that!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I can handle temperatures from 25°F to 95°F, if I'm acclimated. The trouble in the last few years has been that temperatures have been so variable that I never either get acclimated to the heat, nor get the motivation to run when I'm too cold in the house to even think about putting on running gear.

Hate to gloat, but it was a perfect running day here - low 50s, mostly sunny, very little wind. I thought about running long today - even though I don't really want to be on a 7-day cycle - but the magic 8-ball decided against it, and just did six at marathon pace.

Then hopped in the shower, got re-acquainted with the hair dryer that I almost never use, and took the motorcycle out.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Did 5.3 miles today with the intent of keeping my HR within a 5 beat range, just below my LT. The first three miles were pretty easy - mile 4 was tough. But happily, it got easier again. I'm focusing on NOT going so hard, I blow myself up.

It turned into the fastest 5 mile run I have ever done.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Barely did 2 miles today on the treadmill. Off sick for a week with a cold, and surprising how quickly endurance fades.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Saturday, I resorted to the treadmill; it was kinda cold for running outside, at least for me. 15F (but the horrible wind had died down) makes it tough! I was planning on going at least 6 miles, but maybe as much as 9, depending on my patience and how crowded the Y was. Ended up doing 6 at a long-run sort of pace, and just setting the treadmill at 6.4mph and just cruising along without changing pace felt a lot harder than my usual speeding up and slowing down.

But today, I braved the outside, as it has warmed up. 24F, hooray! There is an inch of fresh snow everywhere, so I slowed down a bit, and just enjoyed the beautiful morning. 4 miles, and the footing was pretty good except downtown.

Sunrise run with DH in the cold (25 degrees, windchill in the teens). Last 1.5 miles were with a tailwind, which was perfect. First two miles or so, I could really feel the chill, but it was fine after I warmed up. The MUT runs alongside a creek, so the sound of the running water was soothing. Felt pretty good and went at a nice pace.

Plan to run at least 3.5 miles tomorrow (maybe 4).

I'm starting to semi-seriously consider a half-marathon next year to mark my 50th.

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
    I'm starting to semi-seriously consider a half-marathon next year to mark my 50th.
    I think that would be great!

Me....I'm such an idiot.

So it was cold and breezy yesterday, and like VBC, I'm just getting over a week-long head cold that knocked me for a loop. But training plan (semi-serious at this point, will ramp it up more in February) called for a 5-miler on Saturday (actually, just "weekend").

DH looked at the thermometer, reading in the mid-20's, and we watched the wind blowing through the trees out our back window. My motivation was flagging - if it ever existed at all. "Why don't you run on the treadmill?" he asked. Why indeed. I honestly find running by myself boring. If I'm going to be bored for an hour (I could do it SO much faster on the bike!), I may as well be bored in the comfort of my home on the 'mill, listening to some good tunes on Pandora. I laced up my new running shoes (lighter stability shoes, vs. my clunky motion controls I normally run in), and remembered the picture of my foot from last week's gait evaluation follow-up and how I could run with orthotics or not, based on Doug's recommendation. So, I put my SuperFeet inserts in the shoes (the black ones) that I had from bike shoes that I sold.

New SuperFeet inserts + 5.25 miles on the treadmill = painful feet. OUCH. My soles are killing me. I should have done a 2-mile run on them to start. Then a 3-miler. Not jump right in to +5. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Crap. Well, hopefully, they will be pain free by Monday when I plan to get in an easy 3 (without the inserts) for my day off.
    Last edited by 7rider; 01-15-2012 at 07:52 AM.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I hope your feet are feeling better, 7.

MLK Day run -- DH and I ran this morning, after my swim. It was cold (25 degrees) but the wind wasn't as brutal as Sunday. It was blowing in the opposite direction from yesterday (south vs northwest). My legs felt great. Because I had post-swim sinuses, I was a snot rocket factory!

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

Ouch, 7!

In honor of it being MLK day, I ran the length of my city's MLK Ave. Even the block there at the end that scares me; but at 6:30 am the dealers and prostitutes aren't out working. Came back on a parallel road that includes a bunch of landmarks of local black history-- the site of the slave auctions, several of our oldest historically black churches, and the old "colored" city high school. Even threw in a 1/4 mile on the school's track. All in all, about 4.5 miles.