Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First winter ride pictorial.

To disable ads, please log-in.

I couldn't wait any longer for my first ride with my bike, so my husband and I went out yesterday. It had snowed a lot over night so it was an interesting ride. Here are some pics...

We got to the trail pretty early ~9am but fortunately some had beat us and we had a good path to follow. Here is me following the path. Next to the trail you can see some paw prints that cut through. Lots of animals use the trail apparently.

Another shot of me going through some fresh snow

Nice shot of the trail ahead

Here is my husband coming around a turn

A picture my husband took of himself while riding

A cheesy couple shot of us on a bench. We were smiling, but you can't tell

And a final shot of me in the snow

I was warm once I got started. I highly recommend toe warmers, the kept me really warm. In the end, it was a tough ride. I wasn't ready for the challenge and didn't have the greatest time. It was an up and down ride, loved it, hated it, loved it, couldn't wait to get out of the trail. The most frusterating part...trying to get clipped in!! I love my pedals, but the were terrible in the snow. Riding in the snow is like riding in sand, the second you stop pedaling, you stop moving. I think I'll go again, because it's a good challenge, but I'll be more mentally prepared for the challenge next time.

Thanks for sharing this! My ride partner and I were suppose to go out Sunday on a local trail with about 3 inches of snow from the night before. This was to have been our first "snow ride" on our new mt bikes. I got sick and couldn't go but I was wondering about what riding through snow would be like.

Nice pics. Looks like fun - if I were warm enough and had some hot chocolate waiting for me at the end. I wonder if your pedals were frozen?

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I think it was actually more in the cleat. I would step down on the ground or walk a hill and they would get really tightly packed with snow/ice. It would take a while to get it all out before I could clip in. My husband didn't have too hard of a time with it but I would say like 60% of the ride I only had one foot clipped in.

It's defintely worth trying out. Just be ready to work hard on a once easy trail! I hadn't gone for a ride for about 3 or 4 weeks because of fractured ribs so maybe some of my conditioning was lost too.

Great pics. Im sure that will keep you fit over winter.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

It looks cold and miserable and just awful - but the Bike Looks SWEEEEETTTTT!!!!..........so purty against the icky stuff!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    It looks cold and miserable and just awful - but the Bike Looks SWEEEEETTTTT!!!!..........so purty against the icky stuff!!
    No! It looks like fun!! What's with this cold, miserable stuff? When the snow is available, I say get out and play in it. Dress right to stay warm and it is so worth getting out in the beauty of the snowy landscape. It IS harder to pedal, but still better than being cooped up inside. Makes me want to go out right now!

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Speaking of icky weather...

We're having weather that I cannot motivate myself to ride in. 38 degrees and pouring down rain. All day. I'd take snow over that any day

Thanks for sharing the pictures - looks beautiful!

I like the red (pink?) and green in the snow. Looks very seasonal.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Wow! OK, now I feel like a total weenie for not wanting to ride just cuz it's cold and the trails are frozen (I suspect most of the snow has melted off here). You guys are HARD CORE!

The heat you produce riding is significant. MOtorcycling - that's cold! But today only my feet got chilly on the commute in (and I think if I switch to my bigger shoes that will go away - these are really too small for thick socks and everything is scrunched and directly conducting the cold in), and it was 6 on the bank thermometer. I love riding faster than the temperature!
    Hoping the ride back goes smoothly... but not as smooth as ice...

Quote Originally Posted by Geonz
    But today only my feet got chilly on the commute in (and I think if I switch to my bigger shoes that will go away - these are really too small for thick socks and everything is scrunched and directly conducting the cold in
    You should really try the toe warmers. They worked wonderful and don't take much space at all. They have an adhesive side that you stick to your sock and then slide your foot in your shoe. I've heard, not sure if it's true though, that if you put them in a zip lock bag afterward you can use them again. They're activated by the air and last 6 hours. If you haven't tried them yet, I would highly recommend it. If you're commuting daily though, it could get a little pricey

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    These are perhaps cheaper in the long run than the toe warmer packets?

I've always wondered if these REALLY work...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heatsox.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	482  

Yes. I had a pair of those and a pair of gloves - both ran off C Batteries that I used when I walked to work while living in Indiana. I walked to work in temps as low as -15 with wind chills even colder and never had cold feet or hands. The neat thing about them is: the batteries sit in a pocket and aren't acitivated until you "snap" the pocket closed. So when you get to your destination, you just unsnap the pocket and shut the heaters off.

Funny you would show that: I was thinking about getting pair of gloves for this years winter commute since the Weather Channel told me this morning the nation as a whole is averaging up to 40 degrees Below normal for this time of year!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

I've never seen those before, those look sweet!