Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Treadmill

Hybrid View

Treadmill

I am looking to purchase a treadmill. Although I despise doing much of my running time on TMs they are great for speed work and incline work. Any recommendations of a good one that is under $1000. I need it to be steady enough to do full 15% incline (training for Pikes Peak again).

Thanks!
    K
    katluvr

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Let's see...
    Needs:
    1. Running
    2. Running at 15% grade
    3. Under $1,000

Honestly, I think you're looking at a gym membership.
    You'd be hard pressed to find a quality, sturdy enough machine to meet those needs for $1k. Maybe you can get one used, or even an old reconditioned one - but I just spent twice that on a Sole F85 at Sears and it was the best "consumer grade" machine (as opposed to a professional or gym quality one, which new would set you back even more) I could find for my more modest needs. Maybe a lower model Sole would work for you - the f80 of other - but even still, you're looking at $1500 before delivery.

I think there is a website - treadmillreview.com?? - that may help you in you search.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Let's see...
    Needs:
    1. Running
    2. Running at 15% grade
    3. Under $1,000

Honestly, I think you're looking at a gym membership.
    You'd be hard pressed to find a quality, sturdy enough machine to meet those needs for $1k. Maybe you can get one used, or even an old reconditioned one - but I just spent twice that on a Sole F85 at Sears and it was the best "consumer grade" machine (as opposed to a professional or gym quality one, which new would set you back even more) I could find for my more modest needs. Maybe a lower model Sole would work for you - the f80 of other - but even still, you're looking at $1500 before delivery.

I think there is a website - treadmillreview.com?? - that may help you in you search.
    Agree 100% with 7. If you buy something under $1K, you'll end up replacing it with something more expensive.

You could look for something used. Do they have used sports equipment stores in your area (like http://www.playitagainsports.com/ ). We consigned some stuff there in the past, but never purchased from them. It was a good experience on our end (caveat: this was several years ago).

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Ok, let me rephrase my question....does anyone have a treadmill they would recommend? I'll deal with cost later, just looking for recommendations.

Thanks
    K
    katluvr

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I've been happy with my Sole. Good features, value, and quality for the money. Excellent warranty. My only knock is that it takes some time to ramp up to speed from stop. I've just learned to deal with it.

The website I mentioned earlier is treadmilldoctor.com
    They have a really good section on reviews, features to look for, and more. Check out that site.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I absolutely LOVE my treadmill. Weird, huh?

I forget the brand of our old one, but it was $1800 new, so it wasn't a total cheapo. It lasted through 8 years of pounding by both myself and my husband, neither of us being light-weights. Eventually, the motor and the belt gave out, so we decided to upgrade instead of fixing it. I didn't like how it took awhile to transition on speed and incline and it never felt comparable to outside, but it got the job done.

This time, we went for the good stuff. Precor 9.31. Have I mentioned yet that I love it? It truly feels really, really close to running outdoors, it is as solid as any treadmill I've ever been on, it's quiet and smooth... We went for almost base model because we just didn't want lots of 'gadgets' (like the integrated HR stuff) but this puppy is for real. Seriously. Up to 12 mph and 15% incline, nice length/width running bed and intuitive controls. We have a few set programs, but not many as I don't even bother with those.

Oh and by the way...I love it.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom