Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Your Christmas meal plans

To disable ads, please log-in.

Will get refined over the next 12 hrs. So far, we're having on Christmas Eve :
    elk with saskatoon berries in wine sauce
    sauteed butternut squash in orange juice and pistachios
    fennel slaw with honey and lemon
    celery root mash OR couscous with mint/citrus...I dunno.

some sort of mini gourmet cake slice, not yet determined
    red wine or blackberry wine

Christmas Day:
    He wants to make a savoury crepes with asparagus filling or something

But no turkey, we're not turkey folks.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Fennel slaw sounds fabulous! I'll have to experiment with that idea.

Christmas eve:
    Cioppino (maybe seven fishes, but that's not a requirement)
    Salad
    Dessert: homemade made chocolate-mint ice cream with After Eights mixed in

Christmas morning:
    My son has offered to make pancakes and bacon

Christmas day:
    It's summer here, so we're grilling steaks and veggies. Christmas goodies for dessert.

Yummy! I am having Christmas dinner at my pastor's house, and I am taking the "fresh and local beer" I do not intend to be on a "diet" for that meal. Will likely eat everything, but try to stay with small/moderate portions and as few seconds as possible.

What does Elk taste like? I've had venison, but so many years ago that I've forgotten.

Dinner will be at my parents on Christmas. Years ago, we talked my mom into reducing the Christmas madness by foregoing a full turkey dinner (which I don't particularly care for anyway). Instead, she opted to to make a ham for sandwiches on good rye bread, with homemade potato salad, baked beans and other fixings. Christmas isn't nearly as nutty now that we're all grown, but she's continued to make the ham. I much prefer it to turkey and stuffing.

I'm making dinner on Christmas Eve for DH and I. I'll probably grill some lamb chops with a garlic, rosemary and thyme marinade. I'm not sure yet of the sides, probably steamed green beans and maybe some roasted fingerlings or something. Creme brulee for dessert. My heart is clogging just writing that.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Christmas Eve is a Saturday so we'll be doing our regular Saturday routine. Thom works out with the trainer; I go for a run. Saturday lunch is always at Panera. We're usually both fried so we snack our way through dinner.

Christmas breakfast is traditionally cinnamon rolls. I'm trying a new recipe this year that is quick cinnamon rolls rather than the yeasty kind.

Other than that, it will be whatever I feel like cooking.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

It'll be three, maybe four, for Christmas dinner, so I'm planning on roasting a duck instead of a turkey. The only side set in stone is corn pudding. Gingerbread (the cake kind, not cookies) for dessert.

I've never cooked duck before, so it'll be an adventure. And there's a frozen pizza stashed away in case of a kitchen disaster!

Our little family tradition is that I make a big pot of slow cooker chili on Christmas Eve, cornbread, salad, etc. Desserts are Trader Joe's seasonal ice creams (soy cherry chocolate chip at the moment) and cookies and maybe a cake that I've baked.

My MIL insists on having the formal Christmas dinner at her house.

In the past, all of DH's sisters, their significant others, their kids (nine cousins, including DD) and their friends and SOs, his mom and dad, and the three of us gathered at our house for a really nice, casual chili dinner spread through the living room, dining room, and spilling out onto the back patio. We had a tree and a fire in the fireplace, and it was nice. By the end of the day, several people were zonked out on the living room floor in front of the fireplace while others watched Christmas movies or played video games.

This year, though, there are only seven of us who will be in town.

I grew up with big family gatherings with my great-grandmother, grandmother, mom, two aunts, three girl cousins, and me in the kitchen cooking, and everyone around the table happily sharing and catching up with family they may not have seen for months. I miss those family gatherings. And for several years I tried to have those kinds of dinners here, but those kinds of dinners are MIL's domain and she felt threatened by my trying to roast a turkey here (she actually sabotaged my Thanksgiving dinner once...long story), especially when her own daughters defected and wanted to have dinner at my house. It got a little ugly, so I decided to just make the least-Christmassy thing I could make and have our gathering on Christmas Eve when everyone was in town, but not so head up about the Big Day itself.

I was actually going to host the first Thanksgiving at our house in ages this year, but I was in the hospital, so DH sent the turkey I'd bought over to his mom's house and she cooked for him, DD, and two of his sisters.

This year, though, no one is coming home for Christmas. She's got two daughters who live with her (and one of their adult sons, who will likely go over to his father's house for Christmas day), one daughter who lives a few minutes north of us, and us, so we'll have seven for the formal dinner at her house.

All the grandkids are off doing other things with with their own/other families. Three newly-wed nieces are spending the holidays with their husbands' families (one in Philly, one in West Virginia, and the other about an hour north of here in Temecula). One Marine nephew is in Afghanistan. One of his sisters is with their father's family in Samoa...so my darling daughter is going to be representing for the whole lot of them.

Of course, it's the same with my family. I'm not home, either. My cousins are spread to the wind, too, and I'm really missing getting to know my young second cousins -- one cousin has a newborn with some health issues. My grandfather passed away just shy of two years ago. My grandmother is in a nursing facility. My mom and her sisters get along okay, but they don't get together often at all. One lives on the other side of their state.

So I'll content myself with making a pot of chili with cornbread.

Honestly, I think I'd enjoy going someplace totally different more, like Hawaii or something.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Christmas eve we'll probably pick out a new recipe from one of our cookbooks.

For Christmas morning, we'll do our typical weekend breakfast of bacon, and eggs with veggies. I may try a blueberry almond meal muffin recipe if I'm feeling adventurous.

Christmas dinner will be a whole chicken on the chicken roaster with roasted veggies and a salad. This is becoming a tradition for us!

My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Within the next 10 hrs. or so, Chile Pepper I'll give you the link for slaw recipe that we will use. Different versions on the 'Net, but ours won't have mayonnaise in it.

I miss big Christmas family gatherings since I've lived in a different province over the last 10 yrs. A full family gathering would be over 20 people --just sibs and their spouses/kids, plus my parents.

I'm just content to spend it with dearie.

Catrin: I haven't eaten enough venison to distinguish difference with elk. And vice versa. I've eaten alot of different stuff and after awhile, I get mixed up. But elk does not take long to cook or otherwise it gets tough.

Edit: Chilepepper-- This recipe is super simple. http://chefmichaelsmith.com/Recipe/lemon-fennel-slaw/ Even marinating for half an hr. or so will enhance flavour.
    We plan to add crushed anise seeds to deepen that licorice flavour.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 12-22-2011 at 10:43 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Christmas eve we'll probably pick out a new recipe from one of our cookbooks.

For Christmas morning, we'll do our typical weekend breakfast of bacon, and eggs with veggies. I may try a blueberry almond meal muffin recipe if I'm feeling adventurous.

Christmas dinner will be a whole chicken on the chicken roaster with roasted veggies and a salad. This is becoming a tradition for us!

Yummy. DH proposed to me the first time I made roast chicken (Cook's Illustrated's recipe fir crispy skin chicken) I'm not sure which/who he loves more: me or the chicken.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Normally I work Christmas Eve and it's a mad frenzy to finish up at the office and then rush home, get the kids, blah, blah, blah get to Christmas Eve service. We have no tradition. In fact, I have absolutely no idea what we've done in the past, would not be surprised if I brought home pizza.

I'm debating what to do, honestly, I'd be happy with a bowl of veggie soup. The kids are SUPER picky eaters right now and nothing will please them but chicken nuggets or pb&j. That's not what I feed them most nights: I usually have to listen to hours of screaming and crying and fit throwing when I present them with a legitimate meal. But I don't want to go through that on Christmas Eve, it's exhausting enough already!

I was thinking about making pork chops with apple chutney . . . but not sure if its really worth the effort (or having to listen to complaining all night).

For breakfast I make an egg and sausage casserole that I can make ahead. Then I have fresh fruit pieces and yogurt. And, of course, the bottomless pot of coffee
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

There's nothing wrong with PB and J! It's what I've been eating for lunch all week and tonight will be the second night in a row of my homemade chicken strips.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I'm working Christmas Eve and night, so no prepared meals, but we will be having a omni potluck at work, although one of the coworkers is being super nice and making a vegan/veg soup. I'll bring my own dinner, consisting of stuffed cabbage rolls and a veg, and for the potluck I'm making a Spinach Artichoke dip that fools everyone by being vegan, and some homemade cookies.
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

I wish I knew what to expect! It's mostly Chanukah at our house but my DH's family celebrates Christmas. His family is unconventional and unpredictable. I am guessing we will be at his brother's apartment because that is closer to the care home where his mom lives.

All I know is we are making a 2 hour drive to Phoenix sometime after noon.... otherwise I am completely out of the loop. Guess I will try to get my DH to call his brother and sister so I know what the plan is, and what we need to contribute.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Yay! Thought of something festive, simple and that every one will enjoy. Fondue! Got me some chocolate and cheeses and all the dippins.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog